Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mount as iscsi target as the primary partition on a remote KVM VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mount as iscsi target as the primary partition on a remote KVM VPS?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member

Hello,

I have a KVM VPS that has tiny hard drive space but reasonable amount of RAM and CPU power (by LEB standard). The hard drive space is too little for me to compile anything meaningful on so I am just wondering if it would be somehow possible for me to mount a iscsi target that I have on another VPS (about 30ms ping from the first one) and entirely run everything that is supposed to run on the second VPS using the hard drive space on the first VPS and essentially only using the processing power and RAM of the first VPS? I know the disk I/O won't be wonderful but just thought it is interesting to try it out.

Thanks!

Comments

• At 30ms, the iOwait will probably cripple the VPS

• You'd need to build your initramfs to have iSCSI capabilities, use your VPS disk as /boot and your iSCSI target as / .

Thanked by 1MassNodes
  • iSCSI is really meant as a protocol for use between you and your NAS, i.e. on a fast LAN.
    Better try something like NFS for such a long distance.