Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean Gets $37.1 Million For Cloud Expansion - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean Gets $37.1 Million For Cloud Expansion

2»

Comments

• tchentchen Member
    edited March 2014

@marcm said:
    Who keeps throwing money in a black hole? What hopes do the investors realistically have of ever seeing their money back? And finally, if there was any real hope of making a decent profit then the heavy weights would have backed them financially. Not that $37.2 million is anything to sneeze at, but the heavy weights in the investing world have a whole like more money than that.

Different cost structure and risk tolerance. A&H is known to be involved in early stage funding on risky startups like Skype, Groupon, Zynga, Instagram, etc. There's no need to overinvest as too much cash is dead weight and tends to break company culture when utilized to fill the budget.

• W1V_Lee said: There are big names using DO for a lot of things.

Who?

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2014

Yeah, what he said :P

The big names usually use Rackspace.

• Still, I don't see much negative reviews/threads about DigitalOceans service, so they must do something right?
    I have used them for 3 months now, and have 100% uptime on my AMS2 node, and I'm really happy with their service. Using 3 droplets now.
    Can't understand why people is against DO giving out free service in the start. It's a smart thing, if people actually like the product, they will continue paying in the long run.
    If people don't like it after the free period, they don't use them. Simple as that.

• marcmmarcm Member

myhken said: Can't understand why people is against DO

Our former president Bush used to phrase his sentences like that.

• tchentchen Member

@marcm said:
    The big names usually use Rackspace.

Not so much big names, but you can see which hosters they're pulling from.

http://trends.netcraft.com/www.digitalocean.com

Rackspace lost a good chunk. More interestingly, Hetzner lost a boatload in jan. Not sure what's up with that.

• LeeLee Veteran

Sorry, should have been numbers not names.

• tchen said: Not so much big names

I'd like to meet the "big name"s CTO who use a VPS, powered by RAID5 on consumer SSDs, sharing the node with some miners and abusers.

Thanked by 2alexvolk Infinity
  • marcmmarcm Member

tchen said: Rackspace lost a good chunk. More interestingly, Hetzner lost a boatload in jan. Not sure what's up with that.

Rackspace is expensive and I honestly don't know how good their support is. Business will pay for hosting, but won't put up with lousy support.

I don't know about Hetzner, but January and February are pretty bad for any business because people have no money to spend after December and they usually cut back on non essentials or switch to something cheaper.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2014

@serverian said:
    I'd like to meet the "big name"s CTO who use a VPS, powered by RAID5 on consumer SSDs, sharing the node with some miners and abusers.

Spoken like a true techy, but for the majority who cares? It works and has the right exposure. Debate whether consumer SSDs and RAID5 is good or bad all you like it won't convince the people that like it not to use it.

• @W1V_Lee said:

I'm not talking about regular Joe and his cat pictures blog. :) They can use it and it won't make a difference for them. But for a big name to use some service, the infrastructure should be solid IMO.

I'd be using DO myself if I need a testbed to quickly test or develop my code and I didn't have a in house solution for that. It's cheap, it does the job well. But as all would agree, DO is not about hosting something critical.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • LeeLee Veteran

I would no more use DO for something critical than 98% of the hosts on here. But then perhaps not, it's stable, I rarely see complaints or issues on any scale given the client base.

The numbers in @tchen link above (as reliable as it can be) certainly shows a lot moving from other providers like rackspace and linode. You would expect people already using rackspace and linode to be less comfortable moving to what is in effect an unknown in the market. OVH and Hetzner moves I can understand though.

• marcmmarcm Member

serverian said: I'd like to meet the "big name"s CTO who use a VPS, powered by RAID5 on consumer SSDs, sharing the node with some miners and abusers.

Using RAID5 for virtualization is about as appropriate as riding a bicycle in the HOV lane on your way to work. Now RAID50 on the other hand would a different story...

• tchentchen Member

For what it's worth, any big name CTO with qualified operations personnel under their command wouldn't be having a pussy fight over RAID5/10 when the real concerns are network security and data compliance issues which currently preclude DO and a great many other recent providers.

Is RAID5 SSD the new bike shed painting problem for providers?

• LeeLee Veteran

Did they change the plans recently, I notice that the $20 plan has 2 cores, I was sure you needed to go to the $40 plan to get 2.

• ``> @W1V_Lee said:

Did they change the plans recently, I notice that the $20 plan has 2 cores, I was sure you needed to go to the $40 plan to get 2.

No, they didn't. Plan for $20 always had 2 cores

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

Must have been something else then, when I went to the plans page it just seemed different.