Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reviews of Lunanode?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reviews of Lunanode?

I saw that they were offering KVM in chicago, but I was wondering if anyone has any reviews of them.

Comments

• No one has any reviews?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Huh, why's jarland banned?

• @perennate said:

I believe that if you read the new sticky thread(Staff Decisions) at LET then you'll somewhat understand what happened.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @perennate said:

The new rule (s) I think. Do you have a test ip for lunanode? :)

Thanked by 1perennate
    edited March 2014

Void_Whisperer said: The new rule (s) I think. Do you have a test ip for lunanode? :)

Yep, see https://dynamic.lunanode.com/info.php

Edit: btw it's Luna Node, not LunaNode or Lunanode.

• I have a KVM VPS (http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/15041/luna-node-chicago-kvm-512-mb-13-ipv4-7-mo-1-gb-5-75-mo-free-ssl-with-purchase) with them for a few month, and it performs pretty mediocre. The advantage of this VPS is that it comes with 13 IP addresses. Their support is helpful and usually can reply to my tickets within a few hours. However, the host node has a pretty outdated processor (I don't know the exact model since it's KVM, but I guess it is a old E5320 based on bogomips and benchmarks), disk I/O terrible (sometimes less than 10MB/s and less than 30 iops), and I lost at least $400 revenue because of a recently unexpected downtime. I would say for the price I get what I paid for. I don't think I will renew it this month.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • Update: recently I have been moved to a better node. Disk I/O performance improves dramatically (200MB/s now), and the processor is also better. I am quite satisfied with this $7 VPS ;)

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited April 2014

I had purchased their cloud offer and deposited $12. At first glance, it looked cool but their panel is full of bugs and behaves unexpectedly. I'm not new to configuring a KVM via VNC - and solus is really good for changing drivers, boot orders etc. But from the panel of Luna Node it's quite a nightmare. You just don't know if it will really work even after you're given a "success message"

For example

1. There's no direct way to select which media I wan't to boot from, only a button called "Swap Boot Order" - I clicked on that several times, it always loads the CD Rom instead of HDD

2. In the middle of the installation (or sometime at the beginning) i was prompted that it failed to load (or find) the CD Rom

3. One time, while configuring network it failed with a message like the DHCP is not working

4. The snapshot in Toronto is not working at all - Favyen, however, confirmed that snapshot of a box created from an ISO is not possible. He later manually created a snapshot for me but that was not usable.

5. In toronto, it's a 1Gbps port but in Chicago, it's 100Mbps (or capped so) - Disk IO is very low, like 20MB/s (that's okay - no problem with that at all) and no matter how many time I clicked on loading Virtio as network and disk driver, it doesn't seem to be working

Overall - their panel sucks. I'd rate it 2/10 if you're asking. I just wish that they were using solus where everything is straight forward and nothing confusing.

My $12 was pregnant lately and a cute $2 child was born (due to network error credit). Now it's a happy family of 14 cute bucks living happily in their cute little home called "Luna Node Deposit Box". But that's it and I don't think that I am going to renew it again

ironhide said: There's no direct way to select which media I wan't to boot from, only a button called "Swap Boot Order" - I clicked on that several times, it always loads the CD Rom instead of HDD

OpenStack is designed for usage with cloud templates, you can upload your own cloud template (qcow2 file) from the panel and it should work seamlessly. If you are installing from an ISO, then it is more difficult to use, and we are planning on making the process easier but the Swap Boot Order does work; if you open a ticket and say what you're trying to do we can help you with any issues you're having.

ironhide said: In the middle of the installation (or sometime at the beginning) i was prompted that it failed to load (or find) the CD Rom

With OpenStack the ISO has to be installed immediately (without shutting down and restarting), if you reboot it the CD will be loaded from disk.

ironhide said: One time, while configuring network it failed with a message like the DHCP is not working

What location was this in? In Chicago there is no DHCP, so of course attempting to configure from DHCP will not work.

ironhide said: confirmed that snapshot of a box created from an ISO is not possible

Live snapshot of VM created from ISO is not possible, you need to shut it down first.

ironhide said: manually created a snapshot for me but that was not usable.

Most likely that snapshot was created not manually but by shutting down the VM first. If you open a ticket we can investigate the issue.

ironhide said: living happily in their cute little home called "Luna Node Deposit Box"

If you open a ticket we'd be happy to refund your $12.

Thanked by 1ironhide