Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you buy an ultra LEB? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you buy an ultra LEB?

Comments

• @rds100 said: Do you really want to be on a node with 500 other customers?

If the host maintains a specific level of quality (disk i/o, transfer speed, etc), then why would it matter?

• No, I wouldn't buy one of these.

You can't even install CentOS updates with less than 128MB of system RAM.

I'm not going to risk having my VPS being turned into a SpamBot because I was too cheap to buy the memory needed install OS updates.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2012

What ahs to do spam with low memory? o_O

And why Centos.... :|
    /fanboymode off

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • i guess @swsnyder meant it this way:
    low memory -> can't update -> security issues won't be patched -> you will get hacked.

I'm not a mage myself, so i would like to ask: which distro is capable of doing installs and updates on such a low ram? Debian 6 32 bit maybe, or are there any better ones?

• CentOS 5 and 6 ,32-bit, are able to update with 96mb of ram.

• @mahjong said: i guess @swsnyder meant it this way:

low memory -> can't update -> security issues won't be patched -> you will get hacked.

Probably
    But most vulnerabilities are local, not remote. Anyway that is for another thread.

And yes, Debian can do it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@swsnyder said: No, I wouldn't buy one of these.

I'm not going to risk having my VPS being turned into a SpamBot because I was too cheap to buy the memory needed install OS updates.

Debian runs nicely in low-memory VPSes.

Dammit with all this talk, I think I'm going to downgrade my SD 96 back to a 32 just to live the ultra-LEB lifestyle

Thanked by 1yomero
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2012

@Damian not really, some specific packages make yum choke.
    edit: it might work with 96MB KVM (i.e. with enough swap). 96MB OpenVZ is not enough.

• komokomo Member

I have two 64mb XENs and I use them for nginx, php-fpm, perl fcgi, sqlite, git, squid, openvpn etc... and sometimes everything at the same time and it works.

I would enjoy getting one if location is interesting... US/NL/UK is covered with offers pretty well.

• i guess @swsnyder meant it this way:

Yes. Thanks for being more concise than I was.

And it's not just new updates either. I often buy VPSs and find that the image used to set up my server is several years out of date. It might be necessary to install 100MB of updates just to get to a contemporary set of binaries for a given OS version.

• @rds100:

[root@adamtest2 ~]# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:            96         22         73          0          0         11
    -/+ buffers/cache:         11         84
    Swap:            0          0          0
    [root@adamtest2 ~]# uname -a
    Linux adamtest2 2.6.32-042stab049.6 #1 SMP Mon Feb 6 19:17:43 MSK 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    [root@adamtest2 ~]# cat /etc/centos-release
    CentOS Linux release 6.0 (Final)
    [root@adamtest2 ~]# yum -y --noplugins update

(snip)

Transaction Summary
    ===========================================================================================================================================================================================
    Install       1 Package(s)
    Upgrade     141 Package(s)

Total download size: 122 M
    Downloading Packages:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total                                                                                                                                                      859 kB/s | 122 MB     02:25
    warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID c105b9de: NOKEY
    updates/gpgkey                                                                                                                                                      | 3.3 kB     00:00 ...
    Importing GPG key 0xC105B9DE "CentOS-6 Key (CentOS 6 Official Signing Key) " from /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
    Running rpm_check_debug
    Running Transaction Test
    Transaction Test Succeeded
    Running Transaction

(snip)

Complete!

[root@adamtest2 ~]# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:            96         35         60          0          0         12
    -/+ buffers/cache:         23         72
    Swap:            0          0          0
    [root@adamtest2 ~]# cat /etc/centos-release
    CentOS release 6.2 (Final)
    [root@adamtest2 ~]#

I don't know where your <128mb OpenVZ container was located; maybe they've a broken setup?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2012

@Damian 2.6.32-042stab049.6 is different (different memory accounting than the "standard" UBC based OpenVZ).

edit: and to give you an example of what i mean, try this on an OpenVZ LEB:
    yum reinstall filesystem
    See how much RAM yum eats then.

• @rds100 said: 2.6.32-042stab049.6 is different (different memory accounting than the "standard" UBC based OpenVZ).

Indeed, newer kernels = things work better.

• @rds100 said: yum reinstall filesystem

That package is sh** or something? Is bad seen in this forum since I started to participate. What contains?

• @yomero: It's the filesystem layout package.

https://forum.ramhost.us/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=504 details the issue more.

There's really not much of a point to upgrading it, and definitely no point in issuing the command "yum reinstall filesystem"; it can be added to your yum.conf as exclude=filesystem.

• @yomero:

Description :
    The filesystem package is one of the basic packages that is installed
    on a CentOS system. Filesystem contains the basic directory
    layout for a Linux operating system, including the correct permissions
    for the directories.

This is required package, but installing/upgrading it causes yum to consume tons of memory and may fail on low memory boxes.

• @swsnyder said: You can't even install CentOS updates with less than 128MB of system RAM.

I have no trouble with yum on my 64mb Xen VPS.

• Even if you can do it in 96MB (stopping all services, 32-bit OS instead of 64-bit, minimize max iptables entries, etc.) that doesn't get you down to the 64MB LEB references in the original post.

• pcanpcan Member

64 Mb RAM could be enough for many uses (ftp server, vpn, monitoring...). But I don't buy anything less than 128 Mb because, to my knowledge, all the mainstream distributions needs at least 128 Mb. Easy and timely update and installation services are a must for me. Less than 128 Mb, and only the expert route is open: hand-picked package installation, manual or semi-manual updates. The Debian minimum hardware requirement is 64 Mb; I tried to use a 64 Mb system and I soon ran into troubles.

But I am wondering if, on this day and age, the RAM amount is still the preminent resource constraint that rise the price of the service. Today basic computers could be equipped with 16 Gb Ram with extremely low expense; most servers supports at least 4 times this amount. Other host resources will maybe exausted before straining the RAM. Is there a better way to create a ultra low-cost, ultra-LEB? Maybe stripping away the dedicated IPv4 address (I can imagine some applications where a private IP behind a NAT, or IPv6 would be enough), or have a reduced disk space.

• @pcan said: Is there a better way to create a ultra low-cost, ultra-LEB?

Hard drives are a big cost factor, need at least RAID 1 for a VPS node, and if you want decent performance, RAID 10.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I can update with 64mb ram on centos. Just make yum update , get the list of files to update (with openoffice or excel), then make the following sentence behaviour in excel:

yum -y update PACKAGENAME

and paste it on the terminal... that works ;)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

My 32MB VPS (Lighttpd for testing/playing + pptpd as a backup VPN):

top - 02:44:50 up 15 days, 16:30, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 Tasks: 9 total, 2 running, 7 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu(s): 0.0%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni,100.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st Mem: 65536k total, 6984k used, 58552k free, 0k buffers Swap: 0k total, 0k used, 0k free, 0k cached
    PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND 1 root 15 0 2024 728 632 S 0.0 1.1 0:07.22 init 1368 root 15 0 1944 736 596 S 0.0 1.1 0:00.99 syslogd 1406 root 18 0 2284 788 624 S 0.0 1.2 0:00.65 cron 1409 root 18 0 1852 632 532 S 0.0 1.0 0:00.00 pptpd 1415 root 15 0 5484 980 592 S 0.0 1.5 0:00.00 sshd 3569 www-data 15 0 6136 1800 760 S 0.0 2.7 0:08.48 lighttpd 23736 root 15 0 22596 380 212 R 0.0 0.6 0:00.00 vzctl 23737 root 15 0 2956 1600 1284 S 0.0 2.4 0:00.00 bash 23910 root 15 0 2324 1088 892 R 0.0 1.7 0:00.00 top

6MB of RAM used (I can go lighter if I wanted to drop OpenSSH and replace syslogd):
    total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 64 6 57 0 0 0 -/+ buffers/cache: 6 57 Swap: 0 0 0

Download speeds are not impacted as I previously stated (my correction):
    2012-04-17 02:45:37 (39.5 MB/s) - '100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

Write speeds aren't bad either (just throwing it out there, also keep in mind that this node is 100% full):
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.43589 s, 242 MB/s

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited April 2012

What OS is on that 32mb VPS?

edited April 2012

@TheHackBox said: What OS on that 32mb VPS?

# cat /etc/debian_version 6.0.4

# uname -r 2.6.32-238.19.1.el5.028stab092.2

@KuJoe said: # uname -r

2.6.32-238.19.1.el5.028stab092.2

Nice. Will try it tomorrow :)

If you change to Dropbear, you can save more RAM :)

edited April 2012

@netomx said: If you change to Dropbear, you can save more RAM :)

Yeah, one day in the BuyVM IRC channel me and another person tried to see how low we could go with a Debian 6 install, I forget who it was right now but they got it to 4MB or something with dropbear and something different than rsyslogd I think.

EDIT: Just lowered it to 5MB with syslog-ng

@KuJoe said: Yeah, one day in the BuyVM IRC channel me and another person tried to see how low we could go with a Debian 6 install, I forget who it was right now but they got it to 4MB or something with dropbear and something different than rsyslogd I think.

I use CentOS because of the low memory usage... will go with Debian now! :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@KuJoe said: Yeah, one day in the BuyVM IRC channel me and another person tried to see how low we could go with a Debian 6 install

One of my all-time favorite posts anywhere:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

• Wow... centos sucks :D

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

@pcan said: all the mainstream distributions needs at least 128 Mb.

Debian & Ubuntu are 2 that I know don't. ArchLinux and Slackware are probably 2 more as well that don't need that much memory.

Mostly it's the .rpm based distros that take up tons of memory. Their package management systems historically lag behind other distributions and that remains true today.

Thanked by 1yomero