Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ideas for my Terrible Start?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ideas for my Terrible Start?

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited April 2012 in General

So I make this debian linux respin called Terrible Linux: http://raymii.org/cms/p_terriblelinux
and Linux Mint has a nice startup screen, which I thought I also should do. The above picture is what I made this morning in python/isc.
It's fairly simple, opens some software, shows IP, has notes and a browser opener.
I'm soon going to release a new version of Terrible Linux, with this included and updated software.

Now, does anyone of you have ideas/features he or she would like to see in a start screen?

Comments

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Beautiful work! :)

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

Now, does anyone of you have ideas/features he or she would like to see in a start screen?

At risk of sounding snarky, I would like to see a way to easily disable it.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@MrDOS said: snarky

just a little ;)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Offtopic: Someone seed! image
    Ontopic: How about open Terminal instead of send command? Or both?

Thanked by 1Liam
  • IT IS NOT READY FOR PRODUCTION, IT MAY F*CK UP YOUR SYSTEM AND IT MAY SPAWN 10 HELLHOUNDS IN A BORG CUBE WHICH EAT YOUR BRAIN

Superb

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @yomero said: IT IS NOT READY FOR PRODUCTION, IT MAY F*CK UP YOUR SYSTEM AND IT MAY SPAWN 10 HELLHOUNDS IN A BORG CUBE WHICH EAT YOUR BRAIN

Superb

• @MrDOS said: At risk of sounding snarky, I would like to see a way to easily disable it.

Of course you will be able to disable it. The "target audience" of the respin are "power users" who do not want to be bothered with it :p

• I always wanted to make my own distro, but i find making the LiveCD part and creating the ISO difficult

• @Daniel said: I always wanted to make my own distro, but i find making the LiveCD part and creating the ISO difficult

Remastersys really makes it a breeze... I'm so happy that they have a debian version... Still looking for the same thing on Arch...

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @Infinity said: Offtopic: Someone seed!

I'm seeding now with 5mb/s up. Btw theres something wrong with your speed, i got an average download speed of 1000 kB/s.
    Maybe provider throtteling?

• twaintwain Member

I think the most important thing that can be gleaned from your terriblelinux page is the statement "my girlfriend is happy." That is a good thing indeed.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Personally, I'm done with Debian-based OSes. Just can't stand them after fighting with Crunchbang and Linux Mint Debian all last week.

It's a nice project, but when you offer one based on Arch I'll be all over it. ;)

• @KuJoe Hell I want to make an arch one :3 Just, after I had done Linux from Scratch I was happy I could go back to arch. Only I have not found an easy way to create a liveCD + install (like archbang) for arch.

And the whole point about arch is that you can customize it the way you like, so if I would make an arch one, would it be used? (Still, I want to do it :p)

@twain hehe, her netbook (atom n280, 2gram, 250gb hdd) was so slow with win7, but the main reason she wanted to switch according to her was not so much the speed, but now she can change the wallpaper without extra software (win7 starter does not allow that). But afterwards the speed was also a great +1 from her...

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

@Raymii said: And the whole point about arch is that you can customize it the way you like, so if I would make an arch one, would it be used? (Still, I want to do it :p)

I like Arch Linux but right now the only options out there are building from scratch using Arch Linux or ArchBang. Some people just want an out of the box OS leaving them with only ArchBang as an option (no complaints, but would be nice to have options).

If you build it, they will come.

;)

• Just built a .deb package for all you who run debian:

http://irixos.nl/Terrible Linux/terriblelinux-start_0.1_all.deb

Go ahead and try! I am aware of the text not fitting in the entire window, will be fixed soon...

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

@gsrdgrdghd Nah, its just BuyVM and probably the rest of the DC they are in is terribly slow from here, don't ask me why. The pony seems to have a curse on me. I had something come on which was in BurstNET US IIRC and I downloaded the rest in a matter of minutes.

Edit: Yeah, and I get similarly crap speeds from QuadraNET when I had a Hostigation LA VPS. At first I thought it was an West Coast thing but I remembered I could get better speeds from iMountain on my KiloServe which is in LA. Not sure why, might be something to do with the routing.

• It did look like last night the two BuyVM seeders were the bottlenecks...glad to see Burst took care of you ;)

• karlkarl Member

Will seed this from 2 123systems vps's that i have that do nothing

Thanked by 1Raymii
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Raymii said: @twain hehe, her netbook (atom n280, 2gram, 250gb hdd) was so slow with win7, but the main reason she wanted to switch according to her was not so much the speed, but now she can change the wallpaper without extra software (win7 starter does not allow that). But afterwards the speed was also a great +1 from her...

I just Google some software that removed that cap on my laptop with Win7 :)

• AkiraAkira Member

@Daniel

I always wanted to make my own distro, but i find making the LiveCD part and creating the ISO difficult

You can use SuSE Studio. Kind of basic, you create an ISO for "your own" distro, based on OpenSuSE. You upload/ choose your own Logo, Wallpaper and add which applications should come inside the OS, so you can make it very lightweight or add everything like Games, Office Apps, Multimedia Apps, etc.

http://susestudio.com/

• FreekFreek Member

Looks nice. I won't be using it but I'm downloading it to my SeedBox right now and will seed for a while.