Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Offsite Backups? How far do you go!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Offsite Backups? How far do you go!

Im wondering, how far should we go in terms of offsite backups?

Should we keep a month's worth of backups? or would a week's amount be sensible each time?

NOTE: This is with regards to shared hosting

Thanks!

Comments

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited March 2014

It depends on many factors... the amount of backup space you have available, the amount of client data, the method you're using for backups, and mostly, the fees clients are paying for service :)

• @sleddog said:
    It depends on many factors... the amount of backup space you have available, the amount of client data, the method you're using for backups, and mostly, the fees clients are paying for service :)

Thanks...

• wychwych Member

I keep 31 days daily backups (full not incremental) and then the last day of each month for a year, uploaded to one server and replicated to another for redundancy.

• PatsPats Member

sleddog said: It depends on many factors..

yes, for normal shared hosting i go by the daily, weekly, monthly of cPanel on secondary hdd and one copy to other server.
    for few importants i keep rotational daily backups of seven days..
    for more importants i additionally dump the mysql data 4-5 times a day..

• @above thanks for your input!

• My dedi has partial backups(only important vm data) to a backup VPS, and i also do real offsite backups every 2 weeks(i download all the data, worth 238GB currently to my special backup HDD and store the HDD in my closet :) )

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The other question is - how many backup locations do you have? ;-)

• I backup any data on my VPSes daily via rsync, but that gets thrown on a RAID 6 and then external drive. Which reminds me, I need to do my monthly backups, tyvm.

• LeeLee Veteran

If you have the backup space do it daily for the month, but to be honest 7 days plus a weekly and a monthly should be more than sufficient for anyone. As long as you tell them that is what you offer.

• tchentchen Member

@raindog308 said:
    The other question is - how many backup locations do you have? ;-)

Better question is how many SPFs do you have in accessing all those locations? More often than not, the important access keys are stored on that one laptop ;-)