Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searching for backup service 6-7 TB of storage - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Searching for backup service 6-7 TB of storage

Comments

• What about rsync.net - they've been very good to us over the years.

• Still wondering how did you end up using 7-8TB space on your pc..

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov
  • PatsPats Member

rds100 said: I think the best approach would be to just buy some new SSD as an OS drive, install debian on that and then attach the rest of the HDDs as data drives. You can even keep using them with the ntfs if you want.

+1 , or maybe u can even stuff any importants from the win7 OS drive to any of other attached drives and install Debian on that OS drive (formatting and wiping out win7)

• MassNodesMassNodes Member
    edited March 2014

I can't even transfer a TB in a month... How are you going to manage to transfer 6-7TB? You > would have to have a 100Mbps upload that's fully saturated 24/7 to upload 7TB in a week.

(100/8 ) * 60 * 60 * 24 * 7/1000 = 7560MB yup

• @srvrpro said:
    Still wondering how did you end up using 7-8TB space on your pc..

Word documents.

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited March 2014

@Mark_R said:
    Word documents.

And flying horses exist.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Mark_R said:
    Word documents.

I believe you can compress > 80% for Word documents, say if he compress 7 TB word documents, he only needs 1.4 TB :)

• @namhuy said:
    I believe you can compress > 80% for Word documents, say if he compress 7 TB word documents, he only needs 1.4 TB :)

The idea of "netcat | tar" would be perfect then :)

• if you have that large amount of data, local nas storage might be your best option. instead of paying huge monthly fees for a server, a local nas will be a one time investment. and transferring that large amount of data to a backup server will take long time, but a nas with good io speed should be much faster.

• Just go to one of those computer stores like Bestbuy or something where they offer services like "backup your data and reinstall your PC" for $40 or whatever. See what happens when you ask them to backup 7-8TB :P

Thanked by 1hakimsheriff
  • ovh and hetzner have plans with 8TB disk storage, lookup bidding servers on hetz. page

• awsonawson Member

@Mark_R said:
    Word documents.

8TB in Word documents, what?

Anyway: http://www.soyoustart.com/us/offers/bk-8t.xml

• I cant stress enough CrashPlan is great. Im at 4TB no restrictions on speed or anything. $6 a month of like $50 a year.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @MassNodes said:
    (100/8 ) * 60 * 60 * 24 * 7/1000 = 7560MB yup

https://www.google.com/#q=100Mbps+to+TB+per+week

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

@princeshoko said:
    I cant stress enough CrashPlan is great. Im at 4TB no restrictions on speed or anything. $6 a month of like $50 a year.

I cant stress enough how crashplan is bad. I bought their unlimited family plan+ or something some 18 months ago for a year. 1mbps speeds made it unusable as well as frequent disconnections, each time my IP changed (a couple of times a day) and lasted for 1-2 hours before transfer resumed. They are not good for 200 GB not to mention 8 TB. Of course, you could live just next to their DC, but even so, I have at least 4-5 MB/s in any corner of the world with decent internet infrastructure, on crashplan I could not go above 1 mbps at times was much worse, such as 500 kbps.

For the OP, the best way is to invest those money in a small disk to install the system on then will be able to manipulate the data on the others in any way he pleases. For example consolidate and free the other drives one at a time to convert to Ext4, reiserfs whatever, it will take a long time to move that much data around, but much less than store it on the internet somewhere.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • FritzFritz Veteran

Just borrow your neighbor's HDD for a while.

• @namhuy said:

Not if they are .docx format files used since Word 2007 - those are essentially XML documents stored in a .zip archive. I think you'd be lucky to get 10% compression.

• PatsPats Member

Fritz said: Just borrow your neighbor's HDD for a while.

ur his neighbour... and.. You've been warned. ;)

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2014

Okay so i've discovered alot of good online services to get this done but to be honest the best answer was already provided by @rds100 http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/493430/#Comment_493430

It seems like a waste of traffic, time, power to transfer 2x 7TB of data for this purpose.

For anyone who still looks for a good and affordable solution todo this check out mega.co.nz

You get for 8.33 euros a month 4TB of storage and 96TB bandwidth this is great for people who need no more than 4TB.

• @mark_r where did you see 4tb of storage for 8.33 euros a month? when logged into mega, the best price I see for 4tb storage is annual at 299euros

• @craigb said:
    mark_r where did you see 4tb of storage for 8.33 euros a month? when logged into mega, the best price I see for 4tb storage is annual at 299euros

Well, I didn't login but i saw this price at their page

http://puu.sh/7m7G7.png

Can you only pay yearly? are you sure?

• @mark_r yeah so that wording is a less than clear...its "up to" 4TB "starting at"...annual plans save 17% on the monthly. so 4TB monthly is 30eur.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @craigb said:
    mark_r yeah so that wording is a less than clear...its "up to" 4TB "starting at"...annual plans save 17% on the monthly. so 4TB monthly is 30eur.

That is very misleading from them! but it is still a fair price compared to what you get.

• WOW. I upload at a full 5mbps
    my ip never changes but its not supose to change several times a day should contact your ISP. Should be once every few days at most.

As of this moment my total storage on their servers is 4TB.

@Maounique said:
    For the OP, the best way is to invest those money in a small disk to install the system on then will be able to manipulate the data on the others in any way he pleases. For example consolidate and free the other drives one at a time to convert to Ext4, reiserfs whatever, it will take a long time to move that much data around, but much less than store it on the internet somewhere.

• I have yet to try this but this offer looks good(10TB storage from Tencent): http://thenextweb.com/asia/2013/08/30/forget-1tb-chinas-tencent-is-giving-away-10tb-worth-of-free-cloud-storage/#!y16Wv

although I'm not particularly sure if you're in favor of chinese services or not and do you have good connectivity to China

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Maounique said: I cant stress enough how crashplan is bad.

I cannot stress enough how crashplan is good. I've got ~3TB there and have done a multi-gigabyte restore with no problems. I also use their software for local backups. No problem pushing 5Mbps, which is what I limit it to.

• marcmmarcm Member

@raindog308 do you know of any good Amazon S3 alternatives? Thanks.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Azure is very similar - there's a python SDK and I use it for web hosting backups. Very easy to use. Pricing is same or cheaper.

• Do you 100% NEED this data, or is it just because you WANT it?

Thanked by 1enrique750
  • tchentchen Member

Dreamhost has a s3 compatible setup at substantially less cost/GB. If you can do without IAM fine grained access control it's usable. Buckets are owned by users and seemingly only accessible by said users.