Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ruby and a good editor?!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ruby and a good editor?!

shunnyshunny Member
edited April 2012 in General

So I found Ruby a fun language but is there a good free IDE for it? I know from what I have experienced people write code in notepad++ or vi. I've been writing ruby in vi as well but just wanted to know if people found anything good out there and tried it out. :)

Comments

• flyfly Member

check out plugins that people have written for ruby on vim. i'm sure theres a vimrc floating around taht can help you.

• tuxtux Member

Kate?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

http://www.aptana.com/products/radrails

I think there is an Eclipse plugin as well.

Never used either myself.

• BoGsBoGs Member

I just recently switched from RubyMine (memory hog java) to Sublime Text (http://www.sublimetext.com/). It is fantastic, has tons of plugins that can help with rails and just plain and simple. Vim for me was a little too much.

Check it out.

• for windows there is notepad++ that's pretty cool.

• @BoGs People around me love RubyMine because of all the IDE stuff it can do. Didn't realize it was a memory hog :P I will try sublimetext although I don't really like to pay for the license. Call me cheap but hey I think there should be good free ones out there. :)

Notepad++ and vi are great but I just got tired of it.

• AdamAdam Member

@shunny said: Didn't realize it was a memory hog :P I will try sublimetext although I don't really like to pay for the license. Call me cheap but hey I think there should be good free ones out there. :)

No need to pay for Sublime. It will simply run via 'unregistered' mode... (fully functional, just get an alert to pay every 10 saves)

• emacs ^_^

"Sublime Text may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use."

• @raindog308 said: "Sublime Text may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use."

Probably just like WinRAR?

WinRAR? Never heard of it. 7-zip is free :-)