Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Desktop Colo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Desktop Colo

SpencerSpencer Member
edited April 2012 in General

I am looking for desktop colocation. Im looking for under $100 a month on a 100mbit line with like 1-2TB bandwidth. And in the USA. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

Joesdatacenter.com is the first that comes to mind. Any specific location?

• @KuJoe said: Any specific location?

Nope just anywhere in the USA

• DerekDerek Member

http://www.michigan-colocation.com/index.php/server-colocation/mid-tower-colocation

Same place Errant Web is located, only $70 for 10Mbps unmetered or 1-2TB.

Mid-Tower Colocation at Waveform starts at $50/month, it comes with free setup, and 1000GB/month Transfer. All Packages include a full 100Mb/s burstable Fast Ethernet Port, 120v power, and 1 IP Address. Additional power, Ethernet connections, and IP Addresses are available. Contact us today to sign up.

• Check the WHT colo offers, especially for those offering 1U specials -- they are often smaller operators who may allow a tower at the same rates if you ask nicely. Additionally, transfer is often given as bandwidth, say 10 Mbps @ 100 Mbps port, which can become expensive (overage charges) if you go over. Smaller places/those catering to individual clients (e.g. the Kansas City trio) will switch you to an equivalent or slightly lower traffic quota (2-3 TB) if you request it.

Also, a typical desktop may consumer way more power than a typical current 1U server, so make sure you consider that when deciding.

• FDC will also colocate a tower for 79 a month for unlimited 100Meg connection IIRC.

• https://www.datashack.net/colocation/

If you ask, their probably give you a free upgrade to 1Gbit. I know if you bugger them about it on their dedicated servers, they give you 1Gbit for free.

• Are you sure location isn't a factor?

If remote desktop access is one of your primary requirements, latency will play a massive role.

If you want to save a few pennies, Wholesale Internet in Kansas City is a good start. Central location as well. Wholesale and Joe's Datacenter operate out of the same building. We have used them both before, both exceptional - but I'd prefer Wholesale simply for better support.

Stay away from FDC - their network is terible. They are very pro-Comcast though, so if you're accessing them on a Comcast connection, you can expect good connectivity, but they're ALWAYS having weird routing and power issues at all their US locations.i

I've heard good things about DataShack, who I believe are in Kansas City as well.

• @Daniel said: https://www.datashack.net/colocation/

If you ask, their probably give you a free upgrade to 1Gbit. I know if you bugger them about it on their dedicated servers, they give you 1Gbit for free.

Yep. $45/month and you can get a Gbit connection if you ask. You're not going to find a better deal anywhere.

• Datashack used to be a subset of Wholesale, but I believe they're more co-equals now? Anyway, it's the exact same network so price/support are all that matter.

• @quirkyquark said: Anyway, it's the exact same network so price/support are all that matter.

What one is better? :P
    Joe's is in the same location too right?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@yomero said: Joe's is in the same location too right?

Yup.

• datashack the best options

• Yea I am looking at datashack. I will prob get like dual L5420 from ebay as they are cheap and then just colo them there for $45 a month.

• Joe's is like $40 a month. Dirt cheap but they're somewhat reliable. A few issues here and there but their support is fantastic. I was really surprised how great their support staff was, especially considering it was only $40 a month.

• flyfly Member
    edited April 2012

@adam2030 is that a flash site in your sig :0

• @kbar is that a flash site in your sig :0

Yes , and JAVA Why?

• @quirkyquark said: Datashack used to be a subset of Wholesale, but I believe they're more co-equals now? Anyway, it's the exact same network so price/support are all that matter.

Wholesale Internet is in Oak Tower and has quite a few employees.

Datashack just finished building its own datacenter down the road from the Oak Tower, but still has a lot of stuff colo'ed with WSI. Datashack has fewer employees, but a few of the main people from WSI also do work for Datashack. The two owners are friends.

Joesdatacenter is in the Oak Tower on a different floor and uses WSI's connection. They have no backup power, only 1-2 employees, and are a lot slower at responding to issues.

• Thanks @subigo! (can't thank from mobile version)