Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone accept TOR Hidden services?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Someone accept TOR Hidden services?

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited March 2014 in Requests

Hi,

Does someone allow Tor Hidden services? (someone who not allow dat?)

Comments

• dont you not allow it is a double negative, so it's hard to say.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Infinity580 said:
    Does someone allow Tor Hidden services?

Yes.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

As long as no exit is available from the box, it should be allowed by many people. Exit nodes are not due to high abuse rates.
    However, keep in mind tha hidden services are not really hidden to the provider. If you have sensitive political content, chances are NSA will find out about it, you will be better hosting it at home and use Tor only to mask the source (IP).

• OpenVZ providers might arbitrarily end any process named Tor

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@darknyan said:
    OpenVZ providers might arbitrarily end any process named Tor

That's a pretty broad statement.

People should just read the TOS, or open a ticket if they have a question.

edited March 2014

@darknyan said:
    OpenVZ providers might arbitrarily end any process named Tor

It is tor, the process name, and, yeah, some might, but I do not agree with that approach. Either it's not allowed and then the VPS is suspended, or it is and then the process stays.
    If I find an exit node or any node on premium services, I simply suspend. And I do not look for process names, there are public lists readable by machines to check for those. A bridge and a hidden service is not listed, so, you should be fine.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Still need VPS for it :)

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

https://www.google.com/search?q=FBI+RUNNING+TOR

I question the sanity of anyone who thinks that using TOR will increase levels of privacy.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2014

@Incero The most people did the follow thing:

1. Using Hasmail

2. Using outdated Firefox version (Exploits)

3. They given out to much about who there are.

So basically it wasnt a fault because of Tor, who said i want to host something ilegal?

Don't mind me. I don't know anything.

• Incero said: Don't mind me. I don't know anything.

You don't need to announce publicly what everyone already knows. /s

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2014

Incero said: Don't mind me. I don't know anything.

Could have done better than posting a clueless FUD flamebait in a random unrelated thread while signing off by your corporate brand name.

edited March 2014

I think there is nothing wrong with that, there are many DCs and ISPs as well as content providers which do not understand the need for anonymity of legitimate people. That is a fact and we cannot change that, no matter how many disclosures will be about spying and the like.
    As long as "I do nothing wrong, so why would I need to protect my identity" works, they will have good business.
    However, doctors, lawyers, priests, judges, political activists, military personnel, anyone which can be blackmailed and exposed Petraeus style as well as people which are required by law or by their professional creed to keep secret the identity of their customers, cult members, political group, etc, know it all too well and their numbers will grow as almost everyone else understands the need of privacy and the reasons the constitutions protect their right to privacy in the first place. Even after the constitutions will be changed, or especially because of that, people will still need protection.

edited March 2014

@rm_ said:
    Could have done better than posting a clueless FUD flamebait in a random unrelated thread while signing off by your corporate brand name.

Ummmm yeah. Ok, sarcasm. There's a tiny possibility I know a little something about networks: http://d.pr/i/4Swo/1QBPVc9r. But maybe not.

People who use TOR only attract more attention to themselves, I tried to relay that gently above, but I have nothing to gain by trying to help people here, so I politely bowed out with "i know nothing, don't mind me" after my first comment of:

"https://www.google.com/search?q=FBI+RUNNING+TOR
    I question the sanity of anyone who thinks that using TOR will increase levels of privacy."

was shot down.

hth

Thanked by 1krs360
    edited March 2014

"I have nothing to gain by trying to help people" -- Incero, LET, 2014. You keep going, that's getting better and better. You tried to troll our thread, but in Soviet Russia the thread trolls you right back. And I am not clicking that URL-shortened link which supposedly proves how awesome you are, or who knows, maybe it's just a Goatse picture there.

edited March 2014

I wasn't trolling, you seem to be wound up for no apparent reason. I'm not here to push my brand, which is why I don't have a URL in my sig.

Take a poll of:

• LET hosts, that never seen their equipment and how good of an idea using TOR is

vs

• providers who have staff inside the datacenter and have to deal with law enforcement and how good of an idea using TOR is

Simply I was politely trying to tell you that anyone that thinks that TOR is a good idea, or that it is in any way secure is probably not actually at the datacenter and is oblivious to law enforcement action. More to the point the FBI and other LE run most of the relay and exit nodes and they're a massive honeypot. TOR is one of the guaranteed ways of making sure that all your traffic is mirrored and not anonymous.

Why are you so angry?

edited March 2014

Incero said: Simply I was politely trying to tell you that anyone that thinks that TOR is a good idea, or that it is in any way secure is probably not actually at the datacenter and is oblivious to law enforcement action. More to the point the FBI and other LE run most of the relay and exit nodes and they're a massive honeypot. TOR is one of the guaranteed ways of making sure that all your traffic is mirrored and not anonymous.

Why are you so angry?

Because all of the above paragraph is a complete b/s and misinformed FUD. You are just plain wrong, and with you trying to propagate your twisted view of this subject here (which looks strange, since at the same time you admit "you know nothing"), you are trying to cause real harmful consequences for Tor (less hosts allowing it, etc) and for freedom on the Internet in general. Simply put, you are an enemy of freedom, so is it not normal to be angry at your enemies?

• @rm_ in all fairness running TOR exit nodes is not safe in most places. Ask @William

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
    edited March 2014

rds100 said: in all fairness running TOR exit nodes is not safe in most places

1) Who said anything about running Tor exit nodes, or safety thereof;
    2) Kindly look at this thread title;
    3) and also at statements made, like "anyone that thinks that TOR is a good idea, or that it is in any way secure is probably [implied: not competent enough]" or "FBI and other LE run most of the relay nodes"; for the record they do not, it's a measurable matter of fact; etc, etc.

• MunMun Member

I think his point is that using tor is a good way not to have freedom as the FBI admitted to running the tor exit nodes, so your data in now going directly to the person you were trying to avoid. Then again the internets are just bits and bytes so who gives a shit right????

Btw I love freedom, thus why I am starting to encrypt all my traffic as it leaves my servers.

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
    edited March 2014

Mun said: FBI admitted to running the tor exit nodes

Not "running the tor exit nodes". (as in... all of them?)

FBI may run some of them. I do not believe it's even any sizeable chunk. The list of exit nodes is public, and the ones which push highest amounts of bandwidth are run by highly visible people and organizations, e.g. ipredator, torservers.net, Swiss Privacy Foundation, etc. And as any exit node operator, they may capture any unencrypted traffic that passes such exit node. Which is not news to anyone, that's why as you correctly noted encryption is the answer, and when using Tor, doubly so.

There can still be MITM attacks, but that is besides the point, you need to control all nodes on the way or at least all exits and all entrances to do some timing attacks but even so, it is much better than having your online history backed up at NSA. It MIGHT be nercepted in very few cases, but it IS in most cases if you do not use Tor.