Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any reputable vps hosts out there? Anywhere at all? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any reputable vps hosts out there? Anywhere at all?

Comments

• @Addict said:
    Sorry - more questions:

1. SSD or SSD-Cached? Which is better (or is there a good resource for dummies?) I know what SSD is, but don't have any ideas about the differences between cached/non-cached for a webserver.

2. If I use a coupon on a "top 30" or even "Top 10" provider - say it is for 50% off, does that likely put me on a node with 2x as many people as if I don't use the coupon (at the same place)?

No, as they (hopefully) don't oversell they will make sure their nodes aren't overloaded, this goes for all their nodes.

• If you need a dedicated CPU you can abuse you could try @drserver .

Thanked by 1drserver
  • @Addict said:

Putting more than 30 2GB plans on a 64GB box is not an issue. The issue would be putting that amount of plans on a RAID1 array. The disk IO is likely to be terrible.

Thanked by 1Addict
  • catalystium said: If you need a dedicated CPU you can abuse you could try @drserver .

I didn't think that having a webserver with no mail and no mysql running - just static html and php serving was considered 'abuse' at this level for a VPS. I honestly thought my 6 year old 'bargain-bin' dedicated server with 2gb of RAM (I think it is a Xeon 3040 or 3050) was overkill (even with collecting mail and running a mysql server with medium usage). That is why I am here asking.

I will get another dedicated, if that is what I 'need'. Thing is, I can get a few VPS's and have mirrored servers sharing a load with failover - or just 1 dedicated server. But if a dedicated server is what I need to make my site run smoothly, that is what I will get.

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited February 2014

I'd recommend Digital Ocean or RamNode (with the 42% off coupon). In my experience it costs $15 to $20 per month for a 2GB VPS with good, reliable performance. However, its possible a 2GB VPS closer to $7 to $10 will work well enough for you. Generally those in that range will be more oversold and may slow down occasionally when node is under heavier usage. May be fine though if you don't mind it occasionally slowing down some (but remaining functional). Being more expensive doesn't necessarily mean not oversold though as it could just be overpriced.

Assuming you are comparing RamNode's SSD/SSD Cached options go with SSD if it is enough storage for your needs. Their SSD Cached is still good though and I wouldn't be worried about going with that instead if you'd like the extra space that you'll get for the same price.

Thanked by 1Addict
  • AddictAddict Member
    edited February 2014

Zen said: The bottom line is what the host is willing to put up with, overall performance is only going to be really bad when you're paying extremely low prices ($2 per 2GB?!) - once you hit a certain price point (lets say $7 for 2GB) the difference between that host and another that charges $30 for 2GB will likely not be performance or capability but what they are willing to let you use. It's likely the performance is there, but they aren't willing to let you use it.

Once you pay enough, you'll get that promised specification and the host shouldn't care too much.

Also fatal mistake, don't base the prices or the performance on RAM. It's all about the CPU, especially in this case, and then on to the disk I/O.

Thank you @Zen! And thank you everyone!

Just as a side note, my "trouble tickets" include:

top - 09:31:15 up 6 days, 14:12, 3 users, load average: 6.37, 3.16, 1.61
    Tasks: 68 total, 1 running, 67 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    Cpu(s): 0.1%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 76.7%id, 23.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.2%st
    Mem: 2097152k total, 415492k used, 1681660k free, 0k buffers
    Swap: 0k total, 0k used, 0k free, 97704k cached

and current mpstat

09:33:04 AM CPU %usr %nice %sys %iowait %irq %soft %steal %guest %idle
    09:33:13 AM all 0.50 0.00 0.00 24.50 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 75.00
    09:33:14 AM all 0.25 0.00 0.25 28.32 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 71.18
    09:33:15 AM all 0.50 0.00 0.00 31.25 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 68.25
    09:33:16 AM all 0.75 0.00 0.00 34.75 0.00 0.00 0.25 0.00 64.25
    09:33:17 AM all 0.25 0.00 0.25 29.65 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 69.85
    09:33:18 AM all 0.50 0.00 0.50 35.25 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 63.75
    09:33:19 AM all 0.75 0.00 0.25 42.50 0.00 0.00 0.50 0.00 56.00
    09:33:20 AM all 1.00 0.00 0.50 38.25 0.00 0.00 0.25 0.00 60.00
    09:33:21 AM all 1.50 0.00 0.50 28.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 70.00
    09:33:22 AM all 0.25 0.00 0.25 27.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 72.50
    09:33:23 AM all 0.25 0.00 0.25 30.50 0.00 0.00 0.25 0.00 68.75

But my provider says that the node is 'fine' - and they son't see the problem. Even though the site is completely unresponsive.

• @Addict said:

Haha that's not what I meant, didn't accuse you of abusing CPU. I'm saying you can abuse the cpu/100% all day with drserver.

• 42.5% IOwait isn't fine - it literally means that a third of the time the server asks for IO, it's told to wait ! Our Vms are monitored for example, and we consider more than 1% IOwait a problem!

• @catalystium - oh gotcha. :)

dediserve said: 42.5% IOwait isn't fine - it literally means that a third of the time the server asks for IO, it's told to wait ! Our Vms are monitored for example, and we consider more than 1% IOwait a problem!

Yeah I didn't think so. But this surely can't be from my traffic. If it is - these plans can't handle anything.

• 2GB RAM VPS = $2
    4GB RAM VPS = $4

:) such a logic ...

• @dediserve said:
    42.5% IOwait isn't fine - it literally means that a third of the time the server asks for IO, it's told to wait ! Our Vms are monitored for example, and we consider more than 1% IOwait a problem!

If OP pays 2$ for 2gig of ram vps, it's 'you get what you paid for' situation, no more, no less.

• @Addict Stick with a top 10 provider...if you are concerned about other tenants on the same node, I'd lean towards Xen virtualization as it tends to have better resource isolation (by default) than KVM/OpenVZ. Prometeus or Inception Hosting (both top 10) have a ton of experience with Xen and give a predictable (strong) performance.

Thanked by 2Addict Maounique
  • Sorry, just copped the $2 for 2GB RAM :) At that price you should be running in ram :)

• @Zen said:
    Dump the provider, also let me know who they are over PM so I can stay away.

I'd like to know who this is aswell.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

@Floris said:
    Our goal is to be transparant about what we do, and how we work, no dirty secrets.

You should probably give secrets a second chance, let me show you why.

@Floris said:
    we meight not make much profit, but we can guarantee no overselling/overcomitting.

So you don't care about your customers enough to try to make a reasonable profit? People want to pay you for your time, when you accept so little money in return that they know you don't really have a motivation to stick around forever, they won't be confident in your services.

@Floris said:
    We're upgrading our nodes if we get the money availible for this, but basicly yes.

You're so confident in your business that you plan to upgrade some stuff...IF you get the money. What? So you don't actually have any money to invest and you're not even confident that you may get it eventually?

Sorry I'm sure you didn't mean to come across quite as badly as I read it but come on people, at least try to run a business. This is why the companies on the top of the polls here stay up there, they are professional and confident.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • Running in RAM? Does a VPS actually support a ramdisk?
    If it does. How big is the sites files? Assuming the ram is something descent, mirroring the whole static site onto ramdisk might already imporve it's performance. Assuming the ramdisk is a disposable copy.

• Ramnode should work fine for you.. I'm running a forum with approx. 300-600 concurrent viewers and a MySQL db with 40q/s on a 256mb OVZ plan from Ramnode for ~3$ per month.
    I would definitely go with ramnode :)

Thanked by 4jar Addict netomx jamson
  • FlorisFloris Member
    edited February 2014

@jarland said:
    Sorry I'm sure you didn't mean to come across quite as badly as I read it but come on people, at least try to run a business. This is why the companies on the top of the polls here stay up there, they are professional and confident.

First of all, we want to see how things go, as we're only in business about 3 months yet, we're not making big investments, just the required ones first, we do hope to get profit and we see costumers joining, but isn't this what every company has when they're first starting? We have sufficient money to last, we're just trying to explore the market first and we're here to last.

Thanked by 1Sander
  • XNQ said: Ramnode should work fine for you.. I'm running a forum with approx. 300-600 concurrent viewers and a MySQL db with 40q/s on a 256mb OVZ plan from Ramnode for ~3$ per month. I would definitely go with ramnode :)

OMFG! Are you f-ing kidding me? I have only 200 active visitors on my site right this second, probably 30 using Mysql, and likely 2-3 q/s. 33% of that is going to my VPS in Chicago which is at a load of 4.6 and no longer responding - so failing over to my dedicated - so it has no traffic. 33% is going to my VPS in Atlanta which is currently below 1.0 on load because it failed over 5 minutes ago - and is getting no traffic. And my dedicated is trucking along taking all the failed over traffic, as has been the case for the past couple of days since I started this mess.

If I told you I have now removed my Chicago VPS traffic and am sending all of it to my L.A. VPS (with the same provider). DNS has switched, so I have a 5 minute countdown before my LA VPS stops responding. :)

I guess I need to go with ramnode. 3x the traffic with 1/10 the ram. I am still in shock.

• craigb said: @Addict Stick with a top 10 provider...if you are concerned about other tenants on the same node, I'd lean towards Xen virtualization as it tends to have better resource isolation (by default) than KVM/OpenVZ. Prometeus or Inception Hosting (both top 10) have a ton of experience with Xen and give a predictable (strong) performance.

Can I safely assume that for me (a novice to low-intermediate server admin) the setup on XEN vs OpenVZ vs KVM is more or less identical for a new VPS? I noticed the ones you recommended appear to be over the pond from me, so I would like to find one in the U.S.

Sent a sales inquiry to ramnode a little while ago, haven't heard back yet - so I still have time to look around.

By the way, my provider offered to move one of my VPS's to another node, which is great - and should be commended. But I don't think it will make a difference. We'll see.

Haha - my LA VPS is starting to load up on traffic. I feel like I'm shooting fish in a barrel, just point a little traffic at them, and down they go.

• One of my sites (a vbulletin site) runs on ramnode, currently 214 users online, that's a graph of the usual daily cpu usage:

It's a 1024MB SKVM

Thanked by 1Addict
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks for the recs, guys.

• XNQXNQ Member
    edited February 2014

@Addict said:

Heh, yeah. It's a really snappy lil' box :)
    I'm running the Minstall script for the setup with nginx. Are you running Apache or similar? Nginx has always been my go-to webserver, it's incredibly fast and stable compared to apache.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Addict said:
    OMFG! Are you f-ing kidding me? I have only 200 active visitors on my site right this second, probably 30 using Mysql, and likely 2-3 q/s. 33% of that is going to my VPS in Chicago which is at a load of 4.6 and no longer responding - so failing over to my dedicated - so it has no traffic. 33% is going to my VPS in Atlanta which is currently below 1.0 on load because it failed over 5 minutes ago - and is getting no traffic. And my dedicated is trucking along taking all the failed over traffic, as has been the case for the past couple of days since I started this mess.

Yeah I don't know your setup but unless you've done something wrong it sounds like the provider kinda sucks. Don't get me wrong, you could be horrible at configuration for all I know, but I'm assuming you're not. RamNode is a good choice.

• XNQ said: Heh, yeah. It's a really snappy lil' box :) I'm running the Minstall script for the setup with nginx. Are you running Apache or similar? Nginx has always been my go-to webserver, it's incredibly fast and stable compared to apache.

I am using CentOS/Apache/Mysql/Php - and using webmin/virtualmin.

Does minstall work with Webmin/Virtualmin? Though I am half-decent at basic command line stuff, the graphical interface helps me make sure I get everything up and running properly.

• XNQXNQ Member
    edited February 2014

@Addict said:

I don't think Minstall works directly with Webmin/Virtualmin.. Doesn't that run it's own web server on port 10000? Minstall is ONLY for Debian/Ubuntu, but I know there is CentOS alternatives, but I don't have any experience with them..

But adding domains (vhosts) with minstall is really easy. "bash minstall.sh manage-add-host", then follow the on-screen instructions, such as type in the username, then the domain name itself and choose if you want SSL enabled etc.
    Then it's up to you to upload the content to the /home/user/http/hosts/domain.com/ and you're ready to go :)

Check it out, https://github.com/maxexcloo/Minstall

• @XNQ - thank you. I'll look into minstall.

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited March 2014

@Zen said:
    Also fatal mistake, don't base the prices or the performance on RAM. It's all about the CPU, especially in this case, and then on to the disk I/O.

Nope, the number one impact on performance is Disk I/O. Period. The IOPS of a node/host will have the biggest impact on perceived performance. I admin enough VMware boxes running large SQL DB's of various flavours to know what happens when you start reaching the IOPS potential of the storage on a node/host.

(Hint: Performance on all VPS guests goes to shit, with I/O Waits like you see above)

If you are on heavily loaded host and the containers are paging to disk, it affects everybody on that node. It generally gets worse until it gets to the point that everyone is affected.

On our managed VMware VPS services at my employer, we actually disable Virtual Memory/Swap. It has a massive impact on the speed of the machine, and follows the best practise of 'Right-sizing' your workloads. If the workload only needs 512mb of RAM at most, don't give it 2GB. If you are paging heavily, then you need to give it more RAM (and turn off virtual memory/swap).

I have a pair of N40L Microservers at home for a lab. Currently I get better IOPS out of a single 60GB SATA2 SSD than 4x 3TB Toshiba SATA drives in RAID5 hanging off a p410 controller. A machine used to really chug on the SATA array but was super fast once I vMotioned it onto the SSD. And the same amount of RAM, CPU (1.5Ghz AMD Turion Dual core).

Anyway - the whole point of this rant - TRY OTHER PROVIDERS!

My LET experiences with providers:

I currently have a GVH New Year special - it is running cPanel with a lowish traffic XenForo forum and a no-traffic XenForo forum. It goes okay but can get a bit non-repsonsive at times due to server load.

I also have a ReverseHosts 512mb on coupon which I have had a week. Had some major issued getting IPv6 going but Hassan was excellent in getting it sorted. Performance so far has been good but I have not done much on it yet.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Virtualmin kinda assumes safe defaults for hosting, it is unlikely there is a major misconfiguration such as low number of workers or ram for mysql too low.
    As for your issues, watch io. It can be improved by caching a lot to ram, especially a proxy to cache the most visited pages until they change. This will heavily reduce io and so the site will be able to stay up under many customers as long as the contend doesnt change after each visit.
    You can, of course, use a SSD offering. Xen is pretty easy similar to OVZ in the sense that you load a template and you configure it (Xen-PV). KVM means usually installing from ISO even though templates are available. Please look at www.XenPower.com the ssd version.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Minstall is not updated for debian 7, only works 100% on debian 6.
    I made an introduction post to Minstall on my site after speaking with Max on Skype. Some find it useful, some like to learn by themself. :)

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho