Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB providers that do NOT use SolusVM/WHMCS/Kloxo/etc?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB providers that do NOT use SolusVM/WHMCS/Kloxo/etc?

BenskyBensky Member
edited February 2014 in Providers

As someone who is paranoid about security issues: I've only found one reasonably priced LEB thus far (DigitalOcean) that has rolled their own hosting/provisioning software, which I'm a little bit more inclined to trust than say SolusVM. Are there any other hosts out there like this? Basically just looking to lower my chances of getting affected by a 0day exploit after reading about what happened to RamNode and other providers.

I realize nothing is completely secure and I should keep my own backups, but in my opinion SolusVM is a very easy target since almost every provider out there uses it and I'm not convinced their code quality has gotten any better since that hack last year.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

I am not using Solusvm but I am using WHMCS...

• There are few providers which using WHMCS but not solusvm. For example Backupsy or us. Blesta and Hostbill have lot's of security holes in the past too. Take a look at the rack911 security list.

• BenskyBensky Member
    edited February 2014

@fileMEDIA said:
    There are few providers which using WHMCS but not solusvm. For example Backupsy or us. Blesta and Hostbill have lot's of security holes in the past too. Take a look at the rack911 security list.

Understood -- what I'm getting at with my post (and the reason I added etc at the end of the title) is that I'd ideally like to see custom everything, from billing to VPS management. If that isn't possible, WHMCS is ok by itself since it just handles billing, supports PayPal (less chance of someone being able to take my CC #...I think), and doesn't manage my root password.

Backupsy looks pretty decent, thanks.

To both of you: I should have also mentioned that I'm looking for USA-based providers since that's where I'm located. Thanks for the offers though.

• BlueVM and Bandwagonhost uses their own SolusVM replacements http://feathur.com & KiwiVM.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Oktays brands, there are quite a few emerging with custom panels and such.

• We use Proxmox & Feathur.

• @Bensky said:
    To both of you: I should have also mentioned that I'm looking for USA-based providers since that's where I'm located. Thanks for the offers though.

We use WHMCS for billing, and we use Virtualizor as panel.

Thanked by 1Sander
  • LEB providers that do NOT use SolusVM/WHMCS/Kloxo/etc

Apophatic theology?

Thanked by 1jar
  • @fapvps uses Cloudmin for controlling the VPS and it seems pretty solid, not really seen many providers that use it.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2014

BlueVM uses feathur, CVPS uses client area for basic tasks (restart, reinstall etc.), DR.Server uses virtualizor or none in Xen HVM, Xfuse solutions client area also,. Most of them uses WHMCS or Hostbill. As of Kloxo? Why a vps provider could use kloxo? Or you meant HyperVM? BlueVM used to use it but now they developed their own software that is pretty good actually (i played with it in a dedi of mine and it's free for non commercial use!). As of kloxo, some providers (a couple of them in my knowledge) still have centos 5/kloxo images for installing, something that is a "bomb for security".

• We will be developing our own custom panel in the next coming months.

• EDIS does not use Solus for KVM/VRS either but WHMCS unless you are a legacy client.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

We're developing a Billing software called "AutoBill".

1. Automatically generate a invoice on every 30 day (does not support annually billing)
    2. It will automatically check last payment date and If failed to generate invoice for any reason then our AutoBill will notify admin(Note: If WHMCS failed to generate a invoice of your 20 customers and you did not check their invoice then they will use your service at free of cost for many month)
    3. VPS Monitoring/Automatic start option
    4. Auto-blogging.
    5. Email verification is required when last logged IP is not matched.
    6. Duplicate client account finder
    7. Ban client by payment gateway email, address.
    8. Much more..
  • OpenITC have a great custom panel, and have just posted an offer

• @DewlanceVPS said:

That planned to be optional for those of us with dynamic IP's?

• We using hostbill and custom system we going to change to openstack or cloudstack

• VDS6VDS6 Member
    edited February 2014

About a year ago we got whmcs owned license but after numerous updates in the period of 3 months after the purchase, we dropped the idea of using this software. Too many vulnerabilities to even consider this product. Same goes for solusvm.
    At the moment we use billmgr + vemanager + vmmanager and are happy with total automation they provide.

• We (GoodHosting) use WHMCS as our billing at the moment. (We will be replacing this soon with our own inhouse solution.) We use OpenNebula and SunStone for our panel(s).

edited February 2014

@wych said:
    That planned to be optional for those of us with dynamic IP's?

Hosting "Company" can afford money for static IP.

No mercy for dynamic IP users. lol ;)

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    We're developing a Billing software called "AutoBill".

1. Automatically generate a invoice on every 30 day (does not support annually billing)
    2. It will automatically check last payment date and If failed to generate invoice for any reason then our AutoBill will notify admin(Note: If WHMCS failed to generate a invoice of your 20 customers and you did not check their invoice then they will use your service at free of cost for many month)
    3. VPS Monitoring/Automatic start option
    4. Auto-blogging.
    6. Duplicate client account finder
    7. Ban client by payment gateway email, address.
    8. Much more..

Did you just think of this when you read this thread? I'm pretty sure you did...

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    Hosting "Company" can afford money for static IP.

>

No mercy for dynamic IP users. lol ;)

How many of your average users are hosting "companies"?

What about people that sign in from Mobile/3-4G devices, a large number of network providers don't offer static IP's...

• PatsPats Member
    edited February 2014

wych said: How many of your average users are hosting "companies"?

What about people that sign in from Mobile/3-4G devices, a large number of network providers don't offer static IP's...

comeon.. u'll signup to Autoboot/ autobill/ autoban/ autokick/ automail/ autoblog/ autogenerate... auto phew!! :)

• We use our own cloud stack with a heavy focus on security.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2014

RichardLeik said: We use our own cloud stack with a heavy focus on security.

You don't use WHMCS?

• Anyone use http://www.virtualizor.com/ ?

If so, any feedback?

@proxie said:
    Anyone use http://www.virtualizor.com/ ?

If so, any feedback?

Features of Virtualizor is less then solusvm and price is same.($9 - $12/m) so I will prefer to use solusvm.

They don't even give discount on bulk license.

• said: I've only found one reasonably priced LEB thus far (DigitalOcean) that has rolled their own hosting/provisioning software...

Then you have to try https://www.vultr.com

• Any idea what VULTR stands for ?

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited February 2014

@qhoster said:
    Any idea what VULTR stands for ?

Maybe a short form of "The vultures are hovering over the firm."?