Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migrate TO SolusVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Migrate TO SolusVM?

DamianDamian Member
edited April 2012 in Providers

We use Virtualizor. After some issues today, we're quite seriously contemplating moving to Solus. Solus, however, seems to have a somewhat poor following; not sure if it's a volume issue or what.

Any providers here able to relate stories on any terrible show-stopper issues on why we shouldn't move to Solus?

Comments

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Hi Damian, at present we use solusvm only with openvz and haven't had any problem so far. I was a bit esitant when I did choose it because of some bad experiences i did read about it.

• @prometeus: We'd be using it with openvz-only too. I'm pretty confident that you do a LOT more business than us, so I'd say that if you haven't had any issues, we're not going to either :)

• @Damian said: show-stopper issues on why we shouldn't move to Solus?

I can list off show stoppers of Virtualizor why I wouldn't move away from Solus, but I can't think of any for the opposite. Go back several months and I was on the top of the pile complaining about Solus, I currently have 1 complaint that must get fixed, virtio disk controller from the client side. My major complaint has always been do not add features if clients need to submit tickets to make use of them or you are only lowering the value of the product.

I think @Francisco being as vocal as he has about Stallion lite a fire under SolusVM's ass to get it's house in order or watch the house empty, and it's turned out fairly well for those of us still using Solus.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited April 2012

If your only using OpenVZ, i would check out vePortal :P

Jokes aside, after our outburst with SolusVM i am pretty confident that Phill has whipped things back into shape. I have a bit more trust in them.

Although i have heard nothing about SolusVM2 for a long time and im signed up to the mailing list.

Even though we will soon be leaving them behind, at least for our KVM product line.

I don't think so :)

At present we only have 4 nodes slave plus the master... Annual billing....

• I have been testing the new powerdns feature of solusvm beta and a couple of clients had some errors when using the new forward DNS.
    I contacted solusvm via ticket, and Phill rolled out an update today less than 24 hours after being notified.
    I was very taken back back his professional approach and quickness to remedy the issues I highlighted.

I am certainly not looking to migrate to any other panel if all my future issues are dealt with as professional as this was.

• @onepound said: I contacted solusvm via ticket, and Phill rolled out an update today less than 24 hours after being notified.

On forward DNS I added it to all client accounts and when the API gets called to delete a client as their last/only VPS was terminated, it errors out if they have a DNS plan set, Phil knows of the issue, and he has always addressed them over time, but never while you wait speeds like your experiencing.

• This issue was for wildcard DNS entries, and underscores for example in a DKIM TXT entry.
    Both would cause 'Invalid Domain Error'

I was shocked at the response time.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said: I think @Francisco being as vocal as he has about Stallion lite a fire under SolusVM's ass to get it's house in order or watch the house empty, and it's turned out fairly well for those of us still using Solus.

Lets be honest, if Stallion2 went public sale with fully working KVM, OpenVZ, WHMCS modules for $1000 - $1500 one time with full source included, the Solus team would be left with a ship of rats and that's it.

We're still bouncing around ideas.

Francisco

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2012

But you guys are at least getting responses to things, right?

http://www.virtualizor.com/forums/index.php?topic=7287.0 - still not fixed
    http://www.virtualizor.com/forums/index.php?topic=7295.0 - ignored
    http://www.virtualizor.com/forums/index.php?topic=7299.0 - ignored
    http://www.virtualizor.com/forums/index.php?topic=7260.0 - effects us too, ignored

There are other issues too that we've contacted them directly on, too.

It wasn't so much a question of "is Solus better than Virtualizor, or is Virtualizor better than Solus?", it was more of "what kind of stupid unfixed bugs might we encounter?"

• @Francisco there could be too many people just stealing it, since the source is available too...

• twaintwain Member

Why wouldn't Proxmox 2.0 with it's new end-user facing interface be a viable alternative ? (Notwithstanding the fact that there is no WHMCS module)

• laaevlaaev Member

SolusVM is nice, haven't had any issues with it personally.

• @rds100 said: @Francisco there could be too many people just stealing it, since the source is available too...

We contemplated releasing it open-source for awhile, just to spite SolusLabs.

Thanked by 2netomx TheHackBox
  • @Aldryic that would be great, but then you loose some competitive advantage...

• True. Hence why we've held off on doing anything :3 not to mention how insanely busy we've been lately.

• The DNS thing is what really annoys the $rap out of me, what I ended up doing is having a script done that allows DNS management through WHMCS which uses my cPanel DNS servers as the DNS servers. Saves me money and maint on having a second set of DNS servers.

• @FRCorey what DNS thing?

• @rds100 said: what DNS thing?

Lack of forward and IPv6 reverse is my bet, which are both handled in the current beta

• @miTgiB ipv6 is not too hard, it took me several hours to implement it myself. Forward... yes, it is totally lacking, but i don't think it is necessary.

• @rds100

I might be wrong about this, but SolusVM still does not have any DNS system that's production ready. At least from the installer it does not appear to be that way. Did I miss something :)

@miTgiB said: which are both handled in the current beta

Tim, are you using the beta?

• @FRCorey it can do rdns for ipv4. Seems to work.

• @FRCorey said: I might be wrong about this, but SolusVM still does not have any DNS system that's production ready. At least from the installer it does not appear to be that way. Did I miss something :)

http://wiki.solusvm.com/index.php/PowerDNS
    currently in BETA RC4, works much better than old system and allows forward & reverse IPv6

• @prometeus said: you using the beta?

Yes, I have been running 1.10.00 beta R1 through R4 now, it has greatly reduced ticket load for things like enabling TUN/pptp for OpenVZ clients and virtio NIC for KVM, but I am still begging and pleading for virtio client side disk as without it, the NIC is worthless to me. Now with working IPv6 rdns it will result in even fewer clients needing to submit tickets, SolusVM increased it's value to me greatly with this. The forward dns is nice, but I just gave away free cPanel accounts that I limited to unlimited addon domains and access to the DNS zone editors, so while I made a solution, having it without asking for everyone does have value.

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r

Thanks for sharing. Was the upgrade to the beta painless?

• @prometeus said: Was the upgrade to the beta painless?

What @DotVPS said, and clear your browser cache

Thanked by 1prometeus
  • @DotVPS said: I thought that was just me

Just trying to save others from the same ebarassment

• @miTgiB said: clear your browser cache

+1 to that. Threw me initially. miTgiB came to the rescue though :)

• @DotVPS said: I thought that was just me but I guess the beta template upgrade did it to everyone?

You as well?? ;-)