Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems Server Drive Prices Are Coming Down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seems Server Drive Prices Are Coming Down

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited April 2012 in General

Fast too. A month ago WD 1TB RE4's were running around 200-250, I just nabbed some for 149+S&H off Amazon Prime, Newegg has them in stock, but I'm a Amazon Prime member so shipping is way cheaper.

Comments

• That's interesting, when I was looking at 1tb RE4's a couple of days ago, they were $134 shipped with Prime..

Indeed, I noticed 1TB desktop drives are down to $80 or $90 on sale.

• I just regret not buying them up when the flooding was reported, you would think the hard drive makers would take flooding zones into account and build their buildings higher so they don't flood.

• flyfly Member

there's a reason why they have factories in thailand. and it's not because of "quality of workers" or w/e

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited April 2012

@FRCorey said: A month ago WD 1TB RE4's were running around 200-250, I just nabbed some for 149

I decided to move away from WD after the week of testing I've done on Hitachi DeathStar 2tb

[root@e3la12 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=8k conv=fdatasync
    8192+0 records in
    8192+0 records out
    536870912 bytes (537 MB) copied, 1.00651 s, 533 MB/s

At $130 for 2tb shipped, WD can kiss my lilly white ass. I've also disabled the deep sector recovery settings of them so they do not pop out of the array for no good reason.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • They're still desktop drives if they find out you're using them in RAID and wanting RMA's they can deny you.

Is that single drive performance or what?

• @FRCorey said: Is that single drive performance or what?

That is a 4 drive raid10

• @miTgiB software RAID or hardware? If hardware, how much cache on the controller?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited April 2012

@rds100 hardware, an LSI 9260-4i, which has 512mb cache. I believe the same chipset as a Dell Perc/6 and the same hardware as a 3ware 9750

• @miTgiB then you are writing those 512MB to the cache, not necessary to the drives. Try with larger write if you want to test the drives too.

• @rds100 said: you are writing those 512MB to the cache, not necessary to the drives

Thanks for raining on my parade :(

[root@e3la12 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=32k conv=fdatasync
    32768+0 records in
    32768+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 6.90041 s, 311 MB/s
    [root@e3la12 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test2 bs=64k count=32k conv=fdatasync
    32768+0 records in
    32768+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 6.89425 s, 311 MB/s
    [root@e3la12 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test3 bs=64k count=32k conv=fdatasync
    32768+0 records in
    32768+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 6.90519 s, 311 MB/s

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Good results! I ordered a couple of supermicro twin e5 (4 x 2socket in 2U) with 24x2.5 600GB 10k rpm @ 300€ each. Hope to get similar numbers...

• We use Hitachi 24hour drives now also - great stuff.

• @prometeus lol similar I think if you ran 12 drives in a Raid-10 you'll probably blow things away. I've seen some 48 Drive RAID10 san clusters that are scary fast though they were empty :)

• @miTgiB said: 2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 6.90519 s, 311 MB/s

Ha, still nothing to sneeze at there.

@FRCorey nope :(

24 are in total. Each server will have 6 of this:
    MBF2600RC HDD 2,5" SAS2 600GB 10K TOSHIBA 16MB,6GB/SEC

The supermicro is this: 2027TR-H71RF

• Lol what did it run ya :)

• also do we know these new E5 chips will work with the 2.6 branch kernels. I see Dell shows options for Redhat/Suse for them, but I have yet to hear from anyone.

@FRCorey said: Lol what did it run ya :)

@FRCorey said: also do we know these new E5 chips will work with the 2.6 branch kernels

I'll let you know next month :)

We are buying some hardware (70.000€ total) to serve us for the next years. In the same order I have 2xmicrocloud with 8 x e3 and 2 x SUPERMICRO TWIN 2U ATOM to start the lowend dedi business. Our bank will thank you for the next 36 months...

• @prometeus
    Yeah I eyeball those, but I need to populate what I have a little better before I go off buying more servers.

Yes the bank will be very happy.

@liam said: Why didn't you tell us you had won the superenalotto?

If I did I think I would be out of business for a while... ;)

We usually buy hardware every 2 or 3 years and pay it in 36 months (we do buy other servers when needed) and build service around them and offer upgrade to clients :)
    (we host and manage the farm of one of the biggest Italian radio group)...

• lol if I won the lotto I'd sink a lot of money into my business, hire a bunch of people and see how far I could take it.

@FRCorey I'm in the computer business since 1986, so I would like a big pause ;)

• pcanpcan Member

@miTgiB: I measured about the same benchmark results on a Dell R710 with Perc/H700 controller and 6 deskstar HDS722020ALA330 configured in Raid6. They are fast and cheap 2Tb drives.
    I bougth about 20 drives in late 2010; they have been in (light) use on Raid arrays, as live backup storage. Already 3 of them failed with bad sectors after 6-10 months of use. On a different, slightly older 24 drive array equipped with WD RE4, with the exact same workload, only one drive failed until now.

@FRCorey: I had no problem obtaining RMA replacements from Hitachi, but now Hitachi HGST has been bought by Western Digital and will be most certainly assimilated. Don't know how the RMA will be carried on in the future.

• @pcan said: They are fast and cheap 2Tb drives

I have 32 in my media server at home in raid60 and in th past 2 years 1 drive has failed, but they are the older sata II model.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • You're a storage whore, Tim.

• @miTgiB No issues with them for home storage, I personally would not use a desktop drive in a raid environment, it's not worth the risk to my customers and I know people for awhile were able to flash caviar blacks to enable TRIM support, but it's still not something I would use.

Now if SSD's would just come down in price like it's been predicted for the last 2-3 years.

• @FRCorey said: I know people for awhile were able to flash caviar blacks to enable TRIM support, but it's still not something I would use.

Not TRIM, that is for SSD, but TLER but that is not an option any longer with WD, the bastards. Your choice to use them or not, I have had great success with Hitachi in enterprise environments, and as long as you use smartctl 5.41 or better, there is no reason to be afraid, but if you choose to be, that is not my place.

• @miTgiB said: I've also disabled the deep sector recovery settings of them so they do not pop out of the array for no good reason.

What is the procedure on this? Is it similar to the early WD TLER leaked software?

• @miTgiB said: and as long as you use smartctl 5.41 or better,

Hmmm what happens with an older version?

• @Damian said: what happens with an older version?

The ability to set the feature is not available in older versions