Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feedback on VPN Service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feedback on VPN Service

So I have had this domain sitting around for a very long time. I have planned to develop some sort of VPN service but never got around to invest in it.

Would like to know what would be in a desired VPN service and any issues to look out for. My biggest issue/concern from experience is the legal side and everyone always using it as an abuse tool.

The domain in question is

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited February 2014

There are already alot of them and like you stated it will bring alot of abuse problems. It is probably more trouble than profit if you do not have a big budget and cannot take hits financially/mentally.

• @Mark_R said:
    There are already alot of them and like you stated it will bring alot of abuse problems. It is probably more trouble than profit if you do not have a big budget and cannot take hits financially/mentally.

I agree with this a lot but one thing for sure it will be one hell of a learning experience.

• Nice name, but like @Mark_R said, you can expect a lot/most of your clients to be using it to do questionable stuff. Other than that, no logs are the biggest selling point as a customer ;)

• @elflord said:
    no logs are the biggest selling point as a customer ;)

lol at no logs. every vpn providers do log their clients activities. its just a marketing term. a scam.

• @lelewku said:

I'd love for you to back this up with some proof of the top VPN providers.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited February 2014

@iKeyZ said:
    I'd love for you to back this up with some proof of the top VPN providers.

It is common sense that they log basic information.

If you are going to do illegal stuff using their VPN service and they do not have any logs then they cannot proof/discover that it was you who were abusing the service, trust me they are not going to dodge a bullet for you at their own costs.

Ontop of that (if I remember correctly) those providers are required to keep logs for x days, i think that it is called the data retention law (correct me if i'm wrong.)

• @Mark_R said:
    Ontop of that (if I remember correctly) those providers are required to keep logs for x days, i think it is called the data retention law (correct me if i'm wrong.)

A lot of the well known VPN providers will log connection/disconnection time to their servers and that's about it. The way @lelewku put it makes it sound like they log everything.

• @iKeyZ said:
    A lot of the well known VPN providers will log connection/disconnection time to their servers and that's about it. The way lelewku put it makes it sound like they log everything.

He was right, dont fall for their marketing.

What I recommend if you wanna be sure that there are no logs is that you buy a vps and set up the VPN yourself, disable logging etc. Atleast you will be knowing for sure that there are no traces of your real IP left behind on the server.

• You guys are right. As a customer you can never truly know what your provider is doing with your data. Many providers avoid logging (for marketing) and because it makes them less of a target for governmental/corporate requests. The less that they have available to physically hand over, the less legal risk they face. Of course, not sure how well that holds up (morally and legally) when feds tell you that your servers are routing data for child abuse networks etc.

@Mark_R To be the devil's advocate here, couldn't your VPS provider be logging your traffic in and out of the server?

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited February 2014

@elflord said:
    You guys are right. As a customer you can never truly know what your provider is doing with your data. Many providers avoid logging (for marketing) and because it makes them less of a target for governmental/corporate requests. The less that they have available to physically hand over, the less legal risk they face. Of course, not sure how well that holds up (morally and legally) when feds tell you that your servers are routing data for child abuse networks etc.

Mark_R To be the devil's advocate here, couldn't your VPS provider be logging your traffic in and out of the server?

I guess so. But that really doesn't matter if you pay with untrackable currency and use fake details upon signup, they basicly would have nothing, you'd only have to make sure that the vpn on your vps isn't logging your real ISP ip upon connect/disconnect + a few other things.