Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MY VPS Project
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MY VPS Project

jackolanternjackolantern Member
edited February 2014 in Requests

Hello all i am looking for a VPS for the following purpose.

I have unlimited storage on http://onlinestoragesolution.com

I am looking to get a VPS for running this software https://plex.tv/

Looking to mount my storage on VPS via WEBDAV and use the plex software to serve my personal media library to me and my kids. 3-4 streams.

What i need is a fast** Windows VPS with 2 cpus 2ghz (min) and 8gb of RAM**. If you have something with unlimited storage attached with unlimited file size let me know. for a separate quote.

I will be using VPN from this VPS to all my TV's this will not be used for hosting and possibly a few other apps.

Thank you all for your help!

Comments

• Unlimited Storage.. 8GB Ram... why yes, i can provide this at $12931238921398712837812738971238721893712 a month*

*Price rise may occur at moments notice. Minimum 6 Year term

• unlimited storage : unlimited money?
    Do you have a limit for how mucj storage you would need?

• How about how much bandwidth you need to stream all of this? It's like he's trying to run his personal Netflix service. How much is your budget for this kind of project?

• Your ability to stream would still be limited by your home connection. Wouldn't it be easier to just get a local box to install Plex on and go from there?

• This really hurts my head.

• Maximum_VPSMaximum_VPS Member
    edited February 2014

We can do this for you,

KVM
    8 Cores 2ghz+
    8 GB of RAM
    3 TB HDD
    10 TB BW
    1 Gbps
    1 IPv4
    104.00/m
    None instant setup.
    Jacksonville Fl. Available as well.

;)

• I think most families in US have traffic cap up to 300GB, so 1T should suffice.

• I have the unlimited storage all my content is on the cloud and yes i am running my own personal netflix.

I run this from my house now and am able to stream 3 shows @ 1080P while encoding on the fly only running i5 @ 2.7ghz with 8gb of ram

With an upload rate @ 8mbps/s

I am thinking $25 to $100 a month for VPS

@AutoSnipe said:
    Unlimited Storage.. 8GB Ram... why yes, i can provide this at $12931238921398712837812738971238721893712 a month*

*Price rise may occur at moments notice. Minimum 6 Year term

Well i have found plenty of VPS @ 4gb ram the 20 dollar price point.
    and currently testing on similar builds I have leased 4 VPS and testing this with from france/US/CAN

http://www.neuprime.com/

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    unlimited storage : unlimited money?
    Do you have a limit for how mucj storage you would need?

i grow my data as my collection grows so i never want to be tied down. i require around 6 TB

if you want unlimited storage here is my 2 providers

http://onlinestoragesolution.com
    https://www.opendrive.com/

@bookstack said:
    I think most families in US have traffic cap up to 300GB, so 1T should suffice.

It really is not as bad as you think specially with a system like plex that auto adjust from direct play to encoding.

If i can get this to work I have other customers who would be interested in the same package. VPS + Storage

Again Thank you all for your replies!
    Jack Lantern

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited February 2014

Just to clarify here, you are asking to stream LEGAL content right? I mean, your not planning on streaming movies you have pirated across someone else's network are you? That would, you know, be illegal...

P.S. selling access to illegally obtained content is also.... ILLEGAL...

Cheers!

• I'm more referring to unlimited storage.
    You do know sites like mega and stuff have limits.

There is nothing in the world that is classed "unlimited" there is a limit for everything.
    So you should have opened with the "I require 6tb" and you wouldn't have gotten a stupid answer.

Because then people can actually measure it up on their systems and go yup I can do this.

Although if you are going to be streaming, requiring a fair load of ram and hdd space why not use the $100 or so a month and get a dedicated server.

• @AutoSnipe said:
    I'm more referring to unlimited storage.
    You do know sites like mega and stuff have limits.

There is nothing in the world that is classed "unlimited" there is a limit for everything.
    So you should have opened with the "I require 6tb" and you wouldn't have gotten a stupid answer.

Because then people can actually measure it up on their systems and go yup I can do this.

Although if you are going to be streaming, requiring a fair load of ram and hdd space why not use the $100 or so a month and get a dedicated server.

well i grow about 40 -80gb @ month as i buy new movies and tv boxsets sometimes i have added as much as 200gb in one month

i am currently hosting 2tb @ https://www.opendrive.com/
    and i am hosting 4tb @ http://onlinestoragesolution.com/

with an average file size of 15 - 20 gb

Love the idea of a dedicated server.

This gear is way too hot for my house and already spending about 40$ a month on electric for the rig so paying $100 for the convenience is well worth it.

• jackolanternjackolantern Member
    edited February 2014

@autosnipe looking at ur VPS site whats this in USD ?? €1249.50 hopefully no more than $150 /mo not bad for the year

• if that's for a yearly price that comes up to 143.02 a month, but that's if you are paying yearly up front. for monthly you pay 15%+ (since it's 15% discount for annually payments)

so by monthly it becomes 164.50 or so

*all prices shown are USD converted from XE.com

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    Just to clarify here, you are asking to stream LEGAL content right? I mean, your not planning on streaming movies you have pirated across someone else's network are you? That would, you know, be illegal...

P.S. selling access to illegally obtained content is also.... ILLEGAL...

Cheers!

Totally! this is all on my cloud storage and family members will have access through VPN only.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited February 2014

May I ask why it's so important for you to keep your movie collection online? I mean you could easily achieve what you described with just a Synology DS412 4*4tb RAID5 and a haswell server at home.

Don't get me wrong I think your way of doing this sounds cool, but I don't really see the advantage of it. If you are willing to spend up to 100$/month, can't you have a faster internet connection for that money and have everything streamed either locally or from your home connection?

Edit: Why should it matter if the streams are legal or not. It's his data in his account, so nobody should care about it anyway unless he shares it publicly.

• Hmm, I can see the use case. The customer may use put.io to get the content, and store it in the cloud, then stream it via your service. The plex server will do encoding on the fly for iPad/tablet. I believe somebody will pay extra bucks for the convenience.

I believe you have to store the content in the same data center as your VPS for better user experience eventually.

• @CharlesA said:
    Your ability to stream would still be limited by your home connection. Wouldn't it be easier to just get a local box to install Plex on and go from there?

I do this with my networks. I'm able to keep my content on a central, dedicated server that will stream to my TV as well as my mobile devices when I'm away. It's easier than having to deal with limited connection at home streaming to my other devices away from home.