Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ramnode free second IP! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ramnode free second IP!

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

@praveen said:
    using SNI we can set up multiple SSLs on same IP right?

Until you meet the super pissed XP IE user who clings to it like his life depends on it.

Thanked by 1Magiobiwan
  • @praveen said:
    using SNI we can set up multiple SSLs on same IP right?

Yes and its not restricted to just https, same technique can work with SSH and TLS protected services such as secure wrapped pop3/imap etc.. (in 2014 should you have any non protected ports than http - which will use Host: header)?

• ShamliShamli Member
    edited February 2014

Then,why would still get a vps,go get a sharedhosting then......and i dont want to access my vps(SSH/https(s)/FTP/etc) through another peoples proxy,even it's from the provider....=)

nonuby said: even for a typical VPS for most users doesn't even need a single dedicated public ipv4 address, most VPS user hosts websites or email services or other standard tcp/ip affairs, if a provider sets up a cluster of nginx or haproxy servers they could reverse proxy http (the last remaining form of insecure traffic nowadays) and https (user registers domain names via a cp) the requests back on the private network. In addition this proxy approach

• @jarland said:
    Until you meet the super pissed XP IE user who clings to it like his life depends on it.

Ya I do have few users on windows XP :(

• @lavgupta said:
    Ya I do have few users on windows XP :(

Its only effects XP users using IE, are you still going to worry about them after April?

• @nonuby said:

Yes, bez even after April people are going to use windows XP.

• nonubynonuby Member
    edited February 2014

@Shamli said:
    Then,why would still get a vps,go get a sharedhosting then......and i dont want to access my vps(SSH/https(s)/FTP/etc) through another peoples proxy,even it's from the provider....=)

Well I'd argue the point of a VPS isn't an IP address, its flexibility to run your own stack (etc.. py/ruby/golang/erlang) and persistence services (redis/mysql/pgsql/couch/mongo/whatever), the stability of guaranteed resources (maybe not on openvz), the ability to tune config and parameters of daemons and kernel parameters. None of these benefits are withdrawn by having a reverse proxy in front, no different than a load balancer or ELB on AWS.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

It's not just XP...Win 7 and Win 8 in some cases, Python 3, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication#No_support

• sure they are...but for me,it include having dedicated ip address....otherwise,having shared ip with other users,and if that/those ip's become problematic(blacklisted/ddos/etc),it is disrupting to what ever I run on my server or connection to/from my server...sure there would be HA proxy,but how fast will the provider act...=)

nonuby said: Well I'd argue the point of a VPS isn't an IP address, its flexibility to run your own stack (etc.. py/ruby/golang/erlang) and persistence services (redis/mysql/pgsql/couch/mongo/whatever), the stability of guaranteed resources (maybe not on openvz), the ability to tune config and parameters of daemons and kernel parameters. None of these benefits are withdrawn by having a reverse proxy in front, no different than a load balancer or ELB on AWS.

• nonubynonuby Member
    edited February 2014

@raindog308 said:
    It's not just XP...Win 7 and Win 8 in some cases, Python 3, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication#No_support

Referring to webdav, a protocol only marginally more efficient and less troublesome than FTP. If you offer webdav than you need a smack around the head more than a dedicated IP.

Python 3 situation is interesting, and admittedly quite surprising (and somewhat disappointing), I guess if you offer API services over https then you may have some short-term justification or could annotate documentation inform API consumers via Py3 to disable strict name checking (not ideal though)

There will always be edge cases, some people still < table > < tr > < td > layouts to accomodate, others march foward

• Well done Ramnode, you're one of the few hosts that keep on giving even though I'm paying the same price every year.

• nice news, just got one.thanks.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bdtech said: Heavy discounting and now giving IPs away?

Honestly...the thought crossed my mind as well. They're only 1.5 years old (judging by whois).

But so far, my time with RamNode has been excellent.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

nonuby said: we're reaching (or have reached depending on how you interpret the distribution) of IPv4 addresses

Exactly.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited February 2014

Removed.

• @Nick_A said:
    Wow, wasn't expecting this to be so popular!

Anyway, it applies for new orders and for existing clients. You can place the order from the Client Area (instructions in the FAQ). Keep in mind we do review every order/request individually, so it may take some time to process these orders.

Wow, so nice.
    Thank you.

• Very good. :)
    So does with BlueVM. Generous providers.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited February 2014

nonuby said: Well I'd argue the point of a VPS isn't an IP address

What about mail server that somehow requires a valid rDNS?

Anyway, if everything is NATed, I believe providers will have greater responsibility in maintaining the proxy, as well as having more fun in dealing with complaints and logs.

• nonubynonuby Member
    edited February 2014

@eLohkCalb said:
    Anyway, if everything is NATed, I believe providers will have greater responsibility in maintaining the proxy, as well as having more fun in dealing with complaints and logs.

As I implied there are cases where it may be required, just not for most typical setups (imho).

In terms of done before (tm), Heroku pull off the proxy solution with no issue.

Nowadays with all the ballache of running an incoming mail server is that really a main stream (apart from silly cpanel hosts)? In terms of outgoing transactional mail most people who care about deliver-ability are using postmark/mandrill/sendgrid/aws-ses/mailgun/mailjet/etc.. and focusing on their core business strengths rather than managing mail reputation on a technical level.

• nonuby said: focusing on their core business strengths rather than managing mail reputation on a technical level.

That is general businesses you are referring to I believe.

However if you are in the IT business, or in IT department of a company dealing with infrastructure setup and management, the story can be pretty different. Outsourcing is an option, but not always the case.

Anyway I think we have derailed from the topic... as usual.

• Fritz said: So does with BlueVM

BlueVM? when? what?

Thanks! RamNode :)

• lipanbarakulipanbaraku Member
    edited February 2014

@Pats said:
    Thanks! RamNode :)

yeah thanks Ramnode for the discount and great service :)
    2 day ago,
    bluevm give code for 50% discount to existing customer to get new vps.
    and 60% for new customer.

• @joodle said:
    Pfff... I only have 2 VPSs in NL -.-'

same too me!

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2014

ricardo said: Building up the numbers to sell company at an inflated price? Just kidding. Seems like a generous offer.

Well I hope that isn't the case but I have wondered about that. They're a great company at the moment, from what I've seen at LET, acquisitions don't often go too well.

• @Xei said:
    Well I hope that isn't the case but I have wondered about that. They're a great company at the moment, from what I've seen at LET, acquisitions don't often go too well.

I wouldn't worry! If anything it's likely to be an attempt to bolster v4 usage to get more before final /8 policy mid this year.

• Why's everyone so interested in having a second IP? I had the choice to get a second IP for free, because I purchased one of the more expensive plans from them and I didn't care to select the additional IP that would've come with the VPS for free.

• I might be alone but I like to run my test and production sites on different IPs.

Sure, I could use virtualhosts, but after having thunderbird blow up with SSL errors (WHY?!?) the last time I tried to server different domains from the same IP, I'll stick with what works.

• They just probably decided: damn, we have a /24 subnet which is completely blacklisted among most of email providers for spam, lets give it away for free, anyways nobody can spam from it anymore. :))

• @tr1cky said:
    Why's everyone so interested in having a second IP?

People like free anything free, whether they need it or not.