Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whose job is it to prevent email spam from my VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whose job is it to prevent email spam from my VPS

Alright!!! I have an unmanaged vps from a reputable company(don't want to mention their name here it is irrelevant). I am selling shared hosting to my clients. In cPanel I have restricted the hourly emails sent to a maximum 100.
Do you think I am doing enough to prevent email spam from this vps? Or I should do more?
Do server owners put some sort of firewall to restrict the email spam capabilities of end users? Or I will have to take care of everything?
I have never gotten any complaints or anything but I just want to be on a safe side.

Comments

• support123support123 Member
    edited February 2014

said: Or I will have to take care of everything?

This ^ .Anything you do is your responsibility even if it is by end users

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited February 2014

@stallion said:
    Alright!!! I have an unmanaged vps from a reputable company(don't want to mention their name here it is irrelevant). I am selling shared hosting to my clients. In cPanel I have restricted the hourly emails sent to a maximum 100.
    Do you think I am doing enough to prevent email spam from this vps? Or I should do more?
    Do server owners put some sort of firewall to restrict the email spam capabilities of end users? Or I will have to take care of everything?
    I have never gotten any complaints or anything but I just want to be on a safe side.

Hey stallion,

here's a nice guide I've found made by cpanel itself to protect you from email abuse: Link

I guess you can't do much more than this and if you notice any abusers just cut them off right away.

• It is your responsibility. I've seen a few providers blocking the email ports / limit the emailing but i dont think that would work when people use the php mail function.

• unmanaged means you take care of everything yourself. If you don't want spam, block port 25

• Yep, its your responsibility. You should keep track of emails being sent and if a user is sending spam, disable their account and send them an email. There is no other way...

• @stallion said:
    I have an unmanaged vps

seems you knew the answer before coming here :)

not only is it your responsibility to prevent spam, but you can be held accountable if you fail to take proper precautions for other forms of abuse, especially the illegal stuff. saying you didn't know might not be enough of an excuse.

managed vps is more expensive for a reason