Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crashplan unable to connect to any backup server on Windows 8.1
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crashplan unable to connect to any backup server on Windows 8.1

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited February 2014 in Help

I know this is not the support forum for Crashplan but I have been Googling for a few days without any luck and I know there are lots of Crashplan users here on LET so I figured I will try my luck here.

Anyways, basically I have a Surface Pro that runs on Windows 8.1 and all in a sudden one day it refuses to connect to any of the external VPS that I used for backup. I don't get any error other than saying waiting for connections...

Things I have tried:

1. Open up port 4242 on the Windows firewall (I have Windows Defender installed as well, which is the Win 8 version of Microsoft antivirus software) and allow Crashplan to pass through.

2. Other PCs at my home network was able to connect to the backup engine, without any trouble.

3. Restarted the Crashplan engine and the desktop app.

4. Uninstalled Crashplan, rebooted and cleaned all the registry entries related to the software and reinstalled.

None seem to fix the issue. The Surface Pro just kept retrying and could never connect to anything.

Anyone could help? Thanks!

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Windows Defender is not an antivirus software, it's more of a anti-spyware software.

That aside, have you tried to disable the firewall?

I spent 2,5 hours troubleshooting a payment terminal last week because I blindly believed the support that only two ports needed to be open.

• This happened to me as well. Apparently they fucked up and the new version they released earlier this month (3.6.3) won't talk with the old version (3.5.3). So if you were (un)lucky enough to have just one of your installs auto-upgrade to 3.6.3 (which is what happened to me), then backups will stop until the second install also upgrades to 3.6.3.

I contacted support, and there's no way to tell it to auto-upgrade. The only option is uninstalling 3.5.3 from the machine(s) that haven't upgraded yet, then download and install 3.6.3 from their site.

(You said you already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but my guess is you did it on the machine that already auto-upgraded to 3.6.3)

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • Ree said: This happened to me as well. Apparently they fucked up and the new version they released earlier this month (3.6.3) won't talk with the old version (3.5.3). So if you were (un)lucky enough to have just one of your installs auto-upgrade to 3.6.3 (which is what happened to me), then backups will stop until the second install also upgrades to 3.6.3.

I contacted support, and there's no way to tell it to auto-upgrade. The only option is uninstalling 3.5.3 from the machine(s) that haven't upgraded yet, then download and install 3.6.3 from their site.
    (You said you already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but my guess is you did it on the machine that already auto-upgraded to 3.6.3)

I'll try to see if I can get the 3.5.3 version to install on my PC then, I was reinstalling using the latest version so it is on 3.6.3 again I would assume, thanks! I know there must be some experts around here :)

• @MikHo said:
    Windows Defender is not an antivirus software, it's more of a anti-spyware software.

Just little correction. It is antivirus software now. It was anti-spyware software in older Windows versions but with Windows 8 it's upgraded to fully capable antivirus software.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Spirit said:
    Just little correction. It is antivirus software now. It was anti-spyware software in older Windows versions but with Windows 8 it's upgraded to fully capable antivirus software.

So they renamed security essentials to a name of one of their other products.
    Cool way to add confusion. It is still security essentials in my eyes :)

• Ree said: This happened to me as well. Apparently they fucked up and the new version they released earlier this month (3.6.3) won't talk with the old version (3.5.3). So if you were (un)lucky enough to have just one of your installs auto-upgrade to 3.6.3 (which is what happened to me), then backups will stop until the second install also upgrades to 3.6.3.

Switched to 3.5.3 on the Surface Pro and everything worked great, I guess I'll stick to the old version of the Crashplan for a while until they can somehow resolve this compatibility issue.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited February 2014

Wow...a Surface actually spotted in the wild :)

How do you like it? Pro is x86 right?

• my win 8.1 is a shit, cant use vpn, cant use anything.

=(

• raindog308 said: How do you like it? Pro is x86 right?

Yap, full I5 processor with full Windows 8.1 on it. So far I love it a lot, it is a good tablet (granted a bit thicker than the IPad) and because I would need to use apps like Visual Studio and Excel (with full VBA capabilities) at work and for my own learning, it was definitely something very useful for me to have on the go (of course it is a pretty cool gadget to show off too!).

I bought a typecover 2 with it and so far it is running pretty good, my own complain (other than the battery life, which I recognize is a problem but there are tonnes of ways you can cut down your battery consumption) is the typecover 2 doesn't really have some sort of "support" and you can only tilt the screen to a certain angle with the backstand of pro, which might not be too convenient while you are on the bus or subway.

dedicados said: my win 8.1 is a shit, cant use vpn, cant use anything.

Takes a while to get used to it for sure, but so far it hasn't done anything too bad. I have Cisco AnyConnect at work and it seems to work with 8.1 (although with VPN a lot of it is really set up).