New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.
All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.
All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.
Cloud storage recommendations
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for recommendations for a personal cloud storage / backup target. Ideally 1 TB to start, with the flexibility to upgrade to a bigger plan later without migrating.
I've already looked at the Hetzner Storage Box and it seems solid for the money (BX11 1 TB / BX21 5 TB, ZFS, snapshots, SMB/SFTP/WebDAV). Before I commit I'd like to hear what else people here are using.
A few things that matter to me:
- Prepaid or fixed-price billing, not metered/usage-based
- Mountable in Windows File Explorer natively (SMB or WebDAV), no extra client software
- Snapshots or versioning of some kind
If there are any good storage servers / storage VPS deals, let me know as well. I've already looked at Servarica's storage plans, but they're all out of stock.
Thanks!
Comments
Though, even if you purcahsed a storage VPS, etc. you could still setup SMB/WebDAV quite easily
Maybe in this case, you can look for block storage at https://onidel.com/services/block-storage
Hetzner ones are quite good tho. Or alternatively maybe encrypted + google cloud plans?
I dont remember exactly but I think I have read in reddit that google sometimes flags encrypted files as virus and moves them to trash....
@oloke Are there any plans to expand HDD storage to North America or Europe?