Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 connection problems
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 connection problems

zserozsero Member
edited February 2014 in General

I have a dedi at RedStation. It has serious network problems, simple apt-get commands and git clones take hours and sometimes slow down at ~50KiB/s.

I believe it is related to IPv6 connectivity, as when it runs into timeout error, it displays an IPv6 address, like this:

"curl --retry 5
'http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/raspberrypi.gpg.key' | apt-key
add -"
curl: (7) Failed to connect to 2a00:1098:0:82:1000:13:0:6: Network is
unreachable 

It's not only with this server, it happens with a simple git clone github.com as well.

I guess it has something to do with RedStation's routing, but I'm really not sure how to find this out and how to fix it.

I guess if the problem is related to IPv6 routing, I can somehow just force IPv4 connectivity. Can you tell me how can I configure Deb Wheezy to use IPv4 only for outgoing connections?

note: I know opening a ticket and stuff, I'm working on the issue with RedStation, why I asked this question here is because I'd like to know about independent opinion what is the best way to find out where is the problem with the network and also to learn how to turn off IPv6 in Deb Wheezy.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2014

edit /etc/gai.conf

put (uncomment) this line

precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100

• zserozsero Member
    edited February 2014

@rds100 said:
    edit /etc/gai.conf

put (uncomment) this line

> precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100