Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Map local hdd to vps as a network drive
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Map local hdd to vps as a network drive

KenKen Member
edited April 2012 in Help

May I know the concept will it work?

I wish to establish a vpn using openvpn connecting my Debian VPS and my home network.
the vpn established using my dd-wrt router, connect to the vps openvpn server.
my dd-wrt router mount with an external hdd.
create network drive on the VPS (map the external hdd to VPS)
setup torrentflux download directory to the network drive, which is the external hdd mounted on dd-wrt.

in short, torrentflux download to the external hdd on dd-wrt through openvpn.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Is your home box linux based?

If so you could just use an SSH tunnel

Francisco

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

Directly downloading the torrent to the "network" drive may be very slow. Instead set up a cron job on dd-wrt to fetch completed downloads from the VPS to the external HDD every 6 hours (or whatever).

@Francisco said: Is your home box linux based?

If I understand him correctly, he wants to run torrentflux on his VPS and download the results to his DD-WRT "NAS"

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2012

@quirkyquark said: he wants to run torrentflux on his VPS and download the results to his DD-WRT "NAS"

If so, is the worst idea ever :S
    Bittorrent software does a high amount of I/O operations. This will get translated in network operations, slow as hell

• This probably wouldn't work too nicely. @QuirkyQuark's suggestion to pull the files using a cron job seems a far better idea, or you could set the VPS to push the files once the downloads have completed.