All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.
How long does Naranja tech usually take to answer support tickets?
Hi,
I'm wondering what kind of support response time other customers are experiencing with Naranja tech.
I opened a support ticket on September 11 regarding a persistent VPS storage-performance issue, and as of the end of September 14 I still haven't received a reply or even an acknowledgment.
I understand that this is a LowEndTalk-type VPS service and I'm not expecting enterprise-level 24/7 support. However, nearly four days without any response seems a little long for a support ticket, so I'm curious whether this is normal for them.
The issue itself isn't new. The VPS has been noticeably slow for several months, particularly during things like apt update / apt upgrade. I only recently had the time to properly investigate it and gather evidence.
I've now run CPU, network, fio and iostat tests. CPU and network performance look healthy, while the storage results show very high I/O latency. For example, during a sustained write test I observed write latency approaching 1.9 seconds, with I/O wait reaching ~94%. The completed 2 GiB synchronous write was only around 41 MB/s.
So this isn't simply a subjective "my VPS feels slow" complaint, there are fairly clear and reproducible storage-performance problems.
I'm happy to give them more time; I'm just trying to establish whether this is normal or whether I should follow up/escalate the ticket.
Comments
“LowEndTalk-type VPS service” bro, if they reply within 1 second, start worrying.
They don't work on weekends.
how much do you pay for the VPS? that will tell you if it is normal/acceptable
41MB/s is completely normal for "storage" vps. Is it NVMe or HDD?
It's not a storage VPS; it is an SSD VPS with 4 cores and 16 GB of RAM. I got it during a Black Friday promotion, so I don't think the comparison between the promotional price and the regular price is really valid, especially since the VPS was working perfectly fine before
I'm still waiting to hear back from support, though.
Quick update on this.
Naranja Tech eventually responded to my support ticket and offered to transfer the VPS to another node because of the storage-performance issue. I agreed to the downtime, and they have now confirmed that the transfer has been completed.
Unfortunately, after retesting the VPS, the storage issue appears to still be present.
The VPS is advertised as an SSD VPS, so I repeated the same controlled storage tests after the transfer.
For the 2 GiB synchronous write test:
So there is effectively no measurable improvement.
More concerning than the sequential throughput is the I/O latency. During the post-transfer test,
iostatshowed:w_awaitrepeatedly in the 100–700+ ms rangew_await: approximately 995 msBefore the transfer, I had observed even worse behavior, including write latency approaching 1.9 seconds and I/O wait reaching approximately 94%.
I also checked
iotopimmediately before the controlled test. Normal background writes from Docker, Home Assistant, journald, etc. were very small, so this doesn't appear to be caused by my own workloads saturating the disk.To be clear, I'm not claiming that 41 MB/s by itself proves that the storage is bad. The concern is the combination of an advertised SSD VPS with extremely high and erratic I/O latency under load.
I'm disappointed that the transfer hasn't produced any measurable improvement, particularly since the storage performance was the specific issue I reported and the VPS was transferred as the proposed solution.
@naranjatech could you please take another look at the storage performance on the new host and let me know what has actually been changed by the transfer? I'm happy to provide the complete
fio,iostat, and before/after test results if useful.@TheMister seems it's the same problem with one of @DigitalFyre 's node. @naranjatech
@rpqu It might very well be! I fixed the issue with that node by migrating the data, rebuilding the storage disk, and moving the data back. Everything went back to normal. Also, running fstrim helps!
Edit: Apparently, the issue came back today. That said, I am fairly certain that disk is just not doing well anymore (ours), and OPs provider might be facing the same issue.
Could you please provide a timely update on ticket #DF-688016-10-2026 - Service Transfer - New Owner Confirmation?
Perhaps it's because of one of your customer workload?
Please note that LowEndTalk is not a support channel and is not a suitable place to request ticket updates. We handle service transfers during business hours and are unlikely to process them on a weekend. I am sure Sean will handle it as soon as he can.
Further, per our documentation:
Thank you for your patience.
Nah, I've noticed a few other signs that scream hardware.