Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Personal Drive V2 - A self hosted alternative to google drive

Last year I posted about my app: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/204084/introducing-personal-drive-a-self-hosted-alternative-to-google-drive#latest

It has taken me forever release v2, but I am finally here.

A self hosted alternative to google drive, upload your files on your own server, view photos, download, delete from web UI. Share files with optional password protection.

v1: Feature wise, There was nothing major over 'file browser' https://filebrowser.org/ . But if you are file browser user, I would love to have your opinion.

New in v2:

🔐 Two Factor Authentication — TOTP (Google Authenticator, etc.)
🔒 Password-protected uploads — client-side AES-256 encrypted zips
🎧 Audiobook support — save position + rewind controls
⌨️ Go-to-folder — Ctrl+G to jump to any folder by name
⭐ Favorites — pin files and folders for quick access
🌐 Reverse proxy support — configurable trusted proxies
🙈 No-auth mode — optional open access
📤 Upload queue — per-upload progress reporting
📄 More previews — HTML viewer, lazy-loaded image/text/PDF
🛡️ Security hardening — symlink protection, rate-limited 2FA, stronger share checks

Fixes: hundreds of fixes, too many and too embarrassing to list
Testing: Vastly improved testing, continuous integration, automated browser testing with playwright + 94% test coverage
Performance: lady loading, faster thumbnail generation ,
Styling: Lots of styling improvements, especially mobile.

Stack:
Coded in laravel and react. Made mostly for learning purposes. Initially I didn't plan to open it, but thought it would be a good exercise in having my code scrutinized and as a portfolio piece.

3-4 issues are open: feature request and 2 potential bugs. I have attempted to fix the bugs. Would really appreciate if someone can help testing those.

Have a look please! Feel free to star if you like it.

Thanked by 2itzsenu hkbbdx

Comments

  • LOL LMAO

  • M66BM66B Veteran

    The most interesting feature is "lady loading".

  • omg lol . I can't edit it :'( mods please ?
    I guess it shows I don't overuse AI though..

    Thanked by 2farsighter tzuli
  • @personaldrive said:
    omg lol . I can't edit it :'( mods please ?
    I guess it shows I don't overuse AI though..

    These — clearly show no AI use.

    Thanked by 2BBTN barbarza
  • use != overuse

  • Is this a dating app?

    I keep getting redirected to this page: https://demo.personaldrive.xyz/rejected

    Thanked by 1tux
  • Sorry guys ! The demo was a mess - year old and I changed the deployment process without thoroughly testing it.
    Is okay now. PS: db resets periodically.

  • v1 is archived. V2 no link.
    Did you more slop than before?

  • @ascicode said:
    v1 is archived. V2 no link.

    This is the redflag that tells you it's not worth anymore of your time.

  • Fuck your AI slop, I'll use my copyparty till the day I die.

  • why would people use your product if you only do annual updates?

  • i guess it's something.. but il rather use copyparty...

  • Vibe coded?

  • @DrNutella said:
    Vibe coded?

    I will answer you instead, similar to vibe coders: yes we use AI to write code. And this is the new normal. If you dont, you are not accepting the current norms. AI will help you code faster so that you can focus on implementation and business !! AI is just a tool....

  • Vibe coded?

    nah. But I do use Ai assisted coding - in the last few weeks. As @buggedout said, its just a tool.
    I read almost every line, have strict standards of coding - DRY, YAGNI, rigorously check for security issues, have static checking, Code to psr-12 (php standard) . Exception is react - which I don't care about.

    tbh v1 was really bad. This version should be actually useful. My testing process was quite rigorous.

    No excuses for the yearly update.. sorry.

  • Vibecoded slop

  • GreenLeafwebNetGreenLeafwebNet Member, Host Rep

    this is like complete AI slop generated with a single prompt. Why would anyone risk their data on an AI generated basic script when we already have rock-solid, mature projects like Nextcloud and Seafile that do exactly this but way better?

  • V2 looks like a big improvement over the original, especially with 2FA, protected uploads, favorites, and the better mobile support. The audiobook position saving is a nice touch too. I’ll definitely keep an eye on how the open issues develop.

  • @robertcarlos said:
    V2 looks like a big improvement over the original, especially with 2FA, protected uploads, favorites, and the better mobile support. The audiobook position saving is a nice touch too. I’ll definitely keep an eye on how the open issues develop.

    Hi @robertcarlos who joined 1 day before this post and has replied on only one (1) other thread than this one. Are you sure you are not affiliated with @personaldrive and their vibecoded AI slop project which they are shilling on a web hosting forum?

    Thanked by 1jsg
  • Never mind, I take back everything I said about AI slop previously. This project is too bad for it to be created by a LLM

Sign In or Register to comment.