Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rage4 DNS - setting up IPv4/IPv6 translation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rage4 DNS - setting up IPv4/IPv6 translation

I remembered in Cloudflare there is such a feature that if your VPS is IPv6 only, Cloudflare would be able to make it visible to IPv4 by sort of "translating" the request to the IPv6 space. I recall that Rage4 has something similar to this but I could not remember where it is or how to enable it.

Anyone has any tip for me?

Comments

• texteditortexteditor Member
    edited February 2014

rage4 isn't a cdn, so no

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • Rage4 is only DNS, they don't do any layer 7 proxying like cloudflare does.

It's relatively easy to do this with nginx and any IPv6 enabled VPS, although it will cost you something

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @texteditor said:
    rage4 isn't a cdn, so no

how does cdn relate to ipv6 -> ipv4?

• manacit said: Rage4 is only DNS, they don't do any layer 7 proxying like cloudflare does.

Problem solved, that was quick, thanks people, looks like it still needs to go through Cloudflare then.

• @wcypierre said:
    how does cdn relate to ipv6 -> ipv4?

The reason CF can do this is because they proxy web connections to your web server, so when a user visits your domain the user hits their content network, which goes back and fetches your pages (or serves them from cache, depending on lots of factors). They can fetch your page over v6 and serve them over v4 just as easily as they can fetch them over v4, which creates a little v4 -> v6 proxy.

Something like DNS doesn't do any of this, it's like a little phone book and nothing more.

• @manacit said:

ah okay, got it. Thanks for the explanation :)

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited February 2014

you can install a nginx on a vps for a 6to4 reverse proxy, if your vps doesn't have a ipv6, you can set HE's free ipv6 on your vps to achieve the transiting

• wcypierre said: how does cdn relate to ipv6 -> ipv4?

Right, as mentioned above, Cloudflare does this as part of their CDN, but technically a non-caching reverse proxy could work too.

• kyaky said: you can install a nginx on a vps for a 6to4 reverse proxy, if your vps doesn't have a ipv6, you can set HE's free ipv6 on your vps to achieve the transiting

I meant the other way round, specifically if your VPS is IPv6 only how do you make sure the sites shows up on the V4 side of the world.

• @zhuanyi said:
    I meant the other way round, specifically if your VPS is IPv6 only how do you make sure the sites shows up on the V4 side of the world.

Don't you need a plain IPv4 for it?

• DennisdeWit said: Don't you need a plain IPv4 for it?

Nope.

• @zhuanyi said:

With CloudFlare, you just set an AAAA record at the domains you're serving and they'll handle it. If you don't use CF, you'll need a machine accessible on v4 to do 4->6 with any reverse proxy like nginx.

• manacit said: With CloudFlare, you just set an AAAA record at the domains you're serving and they'll handle it. If you don't use CF, you'll need a machine accessible on v4 to do 4->6 with any reverse proxy like nginx.

That's what I did, thanks!