Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS in Iraq
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS in Iraq

Hi,

Genuine request here. I'm looking for a VPS provider with physically based VPSes in Iraq, preferably northern Iraq.

I'm old and live in UK. I have a lot of family in northern Iraq and they wish to see videos / photos of my children and grandchildren.

It can be slow to send them via email, and because connection speeds there are quite slow, they gain little by me hosting them on VPSes here in the UK. As a result we tend to print photos and take them over once a year, but my children are now 30+ and my grandchildren are growing up so fast and I am not sure my physical health will allow me to travel to Iraq much longer.

I would rather host them on a VPS in Iraq so that they can all access quicker, although it means slower for me to upload at least I only have to upload once!

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Comments

• emreemre Member, LIR

can you please provide me a residental ip address located in Iraq?

Preferably your family home's current adsl/dialup whatever ip address?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@emre said:
    can you please provide me a residental ip address located in Iraq?

Preferably your family home's current adsl/dialup whatever ip address?

Why?!

• @emre If you want to see if TR to IQ connection is any good, I don't think it is. Highly doubt it.

• emreemre Member, LIR

I have servers in Turkey and I know that some of our national operators have direct fiber links to northern Iraq, So I have to check if my current ISP have direct connection to Northern Iraq..

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited February 2014

wrong stuff was here, deleted. check out my next entry

• It made me sad when you said your relatives are still in Iraq while you were far away from your family.

I would love to have an Iraqi VPS too but it will be for some other use >_<

Can't you ask the NATO troops to host VPS service in their leisure time? sorry I know this statement is stupid but if the war ends, you might be able to stay with your family without worrying too much.

• You could burn DVDs and mail them.

• Forget it man Irag is at war.If you purchase vps there.An airstrike may wipeout the whole datacenter.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2014

@instatech said:
    Forget it man Irag is at war.If you purchase vps there.An airstrike may wipeout the whole datacenter.

War torn it may be but at war not all areas. Also we're speaking of the Kurdish area.

Also, I wouldn't think Iraqi ISPs are well connected, even if you have an Iraqi VPS it'll probably have about 50ms ping time, might be cheaper just to go to a neighbouring country with good peering. Someone in Eastern Europe might know about such ISP's.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited February 2014

Well I normally hate it when people distract from the actual question, but in your case I think you need to find another solution and not host a server in Iraq.

To help you I think we need to know further information:

• Do you compress images right now? Nothing is going to improve with a lower distance if your family has a 0.2Mbit/s connection and loads 4MB each image, 200-300kb should be more than enough to have a good resolution to show images (would be like ~1500px on the long side of the image). Use some batch processing image tool (Irfan, XNView) to compress, then use http://www.jpegmini.com additionally to prepare the images.

• Which ISP do they currently use to load the images and what plan (speed) do they have. We could then look for good routes to the IPs to find alternative vps locations, that would probably improve the connectivity a bit

Edit: I get ~90ms from a CZ vps to 95.159.73.13 by the way. I can't imagine it really improves if you go nearer.

• I'm in Turkey with Türk Telekom. I just pinged two IPs in Iraq. One is Newroz Telecom, in Erbil, N. Iraq. Ping is about 95ms. Traceroute goes from Turkey directly to Iraq in this case. That's not common for non-European providers and Türk Telekom generally, but apperantly there's an exception here.

Other was the IP @chrisp has found. That's in Baghdad. I pinged that and its about 125ms from Türk Telekom. Traceroute checked it as well. It goes through Frankfurt. So not productive in this case.

So, @oldgit54 you should provide us with an IP, or learn the name of the connection provider of your relatives so that we can ping the provider. If it's Newroz Telecom, it makes sense to get a Turkish VPS.

But in any scenario, it's good to get German VPS preferrably in Frankfurt with very good peering with L3, Deutsche Telekom etc, as nearly all providers in all European and Middle Eastern countries are connected to Frankfurt.

• For home end-users, the real pain is the actual speed they get from their isp's. So, of they have a dsl, there is not such big difference if you host something to a data center in Iraq, US or UK. Maybe the speed will be slightly slower, but the real slowness is if they connect thru dialup or low speeds. This is the low speed, from home to ISP. Normally, from there, will be much higher speeds to connect to the www. You will not see big difference, because you are not going to host a public and high-traffic site for the iraqui people.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited February 2014

I've got a VPS node in Bulgaria at around 105ms away from the posted IP, however it still goes through Frankfurt.

• I'm from Iraq. Tell me if I can help You I'm ready.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

Please help him somebody

• IncrehostIncrehost Member
    edited February 2014

We have ~81ms to the posted IP from our Frankfurt spot, just PM us if you want to test further.

# ping 95.159.73.13
    PING 95.159.73.13 (95.159.73.13) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 95.159.73.13: icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=81.4 ms
    64 bytes from 95.159.73.13: icmp_seq=2 ttl=58 time=81.4 ms
    64 bytes from 95.159.73.13: icmp_seq=3 ttl=58 time=81.4 ms

Cheers

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited February 2014

81ms via our EDIS DE location as well - You likely wont get nearer.

EDIT: NL cuts .5ms more

• @Abdussamad said:
    You could burn DVDs and mail them.

Thank you but post are unreliable and even letters go missing frequently.

• @kyaky said:
    Can't you ask the NATO troops to host VPS service in their leisure time? sorry I know this statement is stupid but if the war ends, you might be able to stay with your family without worrying too much.

War in Iraq is not a problem in north. North is very peaceful compared to south. We have more in common with Europe in north than we do with south. Even language shares same root, but south does not.

• @kerouac said:
    So, oldgit54 you should provide us with an IP, or learn the name of the connection provider of your relatives so that we can ping the provider. If it's Newroz Telecom, it makes sense to get a Turkish VPS.

I will try to find out. Thank you. Slemani is quite far from Erbil but it is possible!

• @chrisp said:

• Do you compress images right now? Nothing is going to improve with a lower distance if your family has a 0.2Mbit/s connection and loads 4MB each image, 200-300kb should be more than enough to have a good resolution to show images (would be like ~1500px on the long side of the image). Use some batch processing image tool (Irfan, XNView) to compress, then use http://www.jpegmini.com additionally to prepare the images.

Yes, they have 256k connection. This is very good speed in their city for people with internet at home. Even if that is fast inside Iraq it is slow for accessing outside. When 4 of them are trying to see same photo of football club it is more sensible for me to put it in their country where they have fast connection. Maybe I do not explain this as well as can be - but my daughter helps me in this. The problem is the connections going out of Iraq which are slow, but not inside. Since I have fast connection here in UK, I never mind leaving computer on to upload photos over night.

• @oldgit I see. But at least 256k is not that bad at all. If you resize pictures to about 1500px on the wide side and then use http://www.jpegmini.com/ as I suggested earlier you will manage to shrink your images down to about 200-250kb easily while they still look quite good.
    That means for one picture they would need about 8 seconds to load and that of course means you could prepare a zip file for them with like 100 pictures (~23MB), put it on any vps in europe (really that shouldn't matter at all), give them the link and they would need roughly 12-16 minutes to load it.
    I think thats convenient compared to printing and travelling. Just have a look at the google results of "$operating_system tool resize images" and start right away, shouldn't be too hard.

• We in Iraq have internet $100 / month it is very fast & have abou $ 40 / month all people use it .

• From the Italy location of the Lowendspirit, posted IP gets 87,5 ms. It's storage is a bit small but can be enough too, don't have an idea about that.

• Why not a try Iran based VPS? Closer country - exoticvps.com has a several links to Iranian VPS providers