Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rarecloud.io Support Tries to Gaslight

As a RareCloud user I'm annoyed by the credit bump to price increase rug pull - I was also caught by it - but I've been a mostly happy customer. My server was replaced with one running an Epyc processor and allocated with the same CPU, RAM, storage, and bandwidth specs. I had experienced one outage and that's apparently why some servers were replaced, but for me it seemed like a decent upgrade so there was no complaint.

What I can't stand is support gaslighting.

I noticed the server was down today and tried to restart it several times as I waited to hear from support on a ticket about it. The reply?

"We're able to reach the server on our end."

So I checked the control panel and what-do-you-know, the server I couldn't bring up is now mysteriously back online. _It's almost like _they fixed it and want to pretend like it was available the entire time. Oh wait that's exactly what happened.

RareCloud, I can take a little downtime. I can understand price increases to bring your offering closer inline with competitors - god forbid you make a profit - and even though I think a 4x bump is obscene what will make me leave sooner than later is support like that, where you think it's okay to disguise the issue.

Own the problem, be honest about it, and let users know what you're doing to improve because iT wOrKs On OuR eNd ¯_(ツ)_/¯ is bush league bullshit.

Comments

  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited September 7

    That isn't gaslighting.

    It's annoying, but many provider's tech support answer that way. That may also simply be the truth for their support, your OP lacked critical details.

    You can setup monitoring so you know exactly when things go offline and when they come back, as well as check uptime and logs for reboots and crashes.

    Right now, with no troubleshooting done by you, you're just being annoying. You harp on about irrelevant things but the most important part, the actual problem, you lack details about the error and console output.

    I noticed the server was down today and tried to restart it several times as I waited to hear from support on a ticket about it.

    For all we know, it was doing a disk check on boot and took extra time to boot and was booted by the time tech support checked.

    You're expecting some sort of handholding that might be better for managed services.

  • stable_geniusstable_genius Member
    edited September 7

    @TimboJones said:
    That isn't gaslighting.

    It's annoying, but many provider's tech support answer that way. That may also simply be the truth for their support, your OP lacked critical details.

    You can setup monitoring so you know exactly when things go offline and when they come back, as well as check uptime and logs for reboots and crashes.

    Right now, with no troubleshooting done by you, you're just being annoying. You harp on about irrelevant things but the most important part, the actual problem, you lack details about the error and console output.

    I noticed the server was down today and tried to restart it several times as I waited to hear from support on a ticket about it.

    For all we know, it was doing a disk check on boot and took extra time to boot and was booted by the time tech support checked.

    You're expecting some sort of handholding that might be better for managed services.

    Now you're gaslighting too.

    Why do you have to ALWAYS be such a bitch? Do you do it for fun?

    You're sick!

  • ralfralf Member

    @TimboJones said:
    You're expecting some sort of handholding that might be better for managed services.

    When his issue boils down to "server isn't down, restarting via control panel isn't working", it isn't handholding, it's asking the provider to provide the bare minimum control panel functionality.

    Thanked by 3heyheyhey VTCuong taizi
  • Yeah, both of the last answers properly explains why providers sometimes skip explanation and just went with "server is working".

    While I do have issues with rarecloud myself, I don't think the answer "we are able to reach the server" is downplaying.

    They fixed it, they informed you about server availability. But ommited the part it had issues. Is that a good behaviour? Hell no. I'd hate that.

    Nethertheless they did their job. VPS is working, and you did get a notification.

    It could be gaslighting if they said something like "it was always online", but they didn't. They resolved an issue and stated current status of service.

    Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @Scioner said:
    Yeah, both of the last answers properly explains why providers sometimes skip explanation and just went with "server is working".

    While I do have issues with rarecloud myself, I don't think the answer "we are able to reach the server" is downplaying.

    They fixed it, they informed you about server availability. But ommited the part it had issues. Is that a good behaviour? Hell no. I'd hate that.

    Nethertheless they did their job. VPS is working, and you did get a notification.

    It could be gaslighting if they said something like "it was always online", but they didn't. They resolved an issue and stated current status of service.

    So obsequious. Why?

  • Theorem of Dr. Fredo. Any use of the term gaslighting on an online forum is incorrect.

    Part of a bigger theory on MJJ and Gen Z drama.

  • @fredo1664 said:
    Theorem of Dr. Fredo. Any use of the term gaslighting on an online forum is incorrect.

    Part of a bigger theory on MJJ and Gen Z drama.

    That's a conjecture not a theorem.

    By definition a theorem requires a valid proof to be classified as theorem. Without proof it's a mere unproven conjecture.

  • @ralf said:

    @TimboJones said:
    You're expecting some sort of handholding that might be better for managed services.

    When his issue boils down to "server isn't down, restarting via control panel isn't working", it isn't handholding, it's asking the provider to provide the bare minimum control panel functionality.

    But what isn't working? If he's just pinging, for example. I want to know the console boot status.

  • WiFiWiFi Member

    I also have another complaint about Rarecloud.io. Apparently, they operate several separate businesses, or different parts of businesses they have acquired.

    I bought a VPS from them, but its disk performance is extremely poor, at only around 40 MB/s. I opened a support ticket and provided both the server ID and its IP address. They replied that I must have confused something because no such server existed in their system.

    I confirmed that the server was definitely hosted by them and that all the details I had provided were completely accurate. They then said that my request had been forwarded to the appropriate administrator.

    Three days later, I have received absolutely no response regarding the VPS’s poor performance. Just complete silence.

  • @stable_genius said: That's a conjecture not a theorem.

    Theory != theorem though.

  • stable_geniusstable_genius Member
    edited September 8

    @forest said:

    @stable_genius said: That's a conjecture not a theorem.

    Theory != theorem though.

    A theorem is part of a theory, it is contained in it, while a conjecture is part of someone's opinion

  • @TimboJones said:

    @ralf said:

    @TimboJones said:
    You're expecting some sort of handholding that might be better for managed services.

    When his issue boils down to "server isn't down, restarting via control panel isn't working", it isn't handholding, it's asking the provider to provide the bare minimum control panel functionality.

    I want to know the console boot status.

    At which point in time, while it was still broken or after it got fixed?

    You're bound to see very different pictures depending on the choice you make.

  • forestforest Member
    edited September 8

    @stable_genius said:

    @forest said:

    @stable_genius said: That's a conjecture not a theorem.

    Theory != theorem though.

    A theorem is part of a theory while a conjecture is part of someone's opinion

    A theory is an evidence-backed explanation for an observed phenomenon. A theorem is a formal logical or mathematical statement that can be proved or disproved. A theory may use theorems as part of its evidence, but other than that there's not much relation. For example you can have a theory without a theorem (e.g. the theory that germs cause disease).

  • @forest said:

    @stable_genius said:

    @forest said:

    @stable_genius said: That's a conjecture not a theorem.

    Theory != theorem though.

    A theorem is part of a theory while a conjecture is part of someone's opinion

    A theory is an evidence-backed explanation for an observed phenomenon. A theorem is a formal logical or mathematical statement that can be proved or disproved. A theory may use theorems as part of its evidence, but other than that there's not much relation. For example you can have a theory without a theorem (e.g. the theory that germs cause disease).

    This started with a supposed theorem so let's stick with that and forget the rest.

  • ralfralf Member

    @TimboJones said:

    @ralf said:

    @TimboJones said:
    You're expecting some sort of handholding that might be better for managed services.

    When his issue boils down to "server isn't down, restarting via control panel isn't working", it isn't handholding, it's asking the provider to provide the bare minimum control panel functionality.

    But what isn't working? If he's just pinging, for example. I want to know the console boot status.

    It's almost like you haven't actually read the OP.

    @heyheyhey said:
    I noticed the server was down today and tried to restart it several times as I waited to hear from support on a ticket about it. The reply?

    "We're able to reach the server on our end."

    So I checked the control panel and what-do-you-know, the server I couldn't bring up is now mysteriously back online. _It's almost like _they fixed it and want to pretend like it was available the entire time. Oh wait that's exactly what happened.

  • I have two that I prepaid (so can't cancel). One is totally unreachable, can't connect to VNC, and shows "power status: unavailable" in the control panel. The other starts failing every single disk operation starting a few minutes after boot or reboot. So both completely unusable. If you're paying monthly, just cancel and go somewhere else.

    Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @stable_genius said:

    @forest said:

    @stable_genius said:

    @forest said:

    @stable_genius said: That's a conjecture not a theorem.

    Theory != theorem though.

    A theorem is part of a theory while a conjecture is part of someone's opinion

    A theory is an evidence-backed explanation for an observed phenomenon. A theorem is a formal logical or mathematical statement that can be proved or disproved. A theory may use theorems as part of its evidence, but other than that there's not much relation. For example you can have a theory without a theorem (e.g. the theory that germs cause disease).

    This started with a supposed theorem so let's stick with that and forget the rest.

    Yeah it wasn't a theorem for sure. Seems more like a maxim or aphorism (of questionable accuracy).

  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited September 10

    @ralf said:

    @TimboJones said:

    @ralf said:

    @TimboJones said:
    You're expecting some sort of handholding that might be better for managed services.

    When his issue boils down to "server isn't down, restarting via control panel isn't working", it isn't handholding, it's asking the provider to provide the bare minimum control panel functionality.

    But what isn't working? If he's just pinging, for example. I want to know the console boot status.

    It's almost like you haven't actually read the OP.

    @heyheyhey said:
    I noticed the server was down today and tried to restart it several times as I waited to hear from support on a ticket about it. The reply?

    "We're able to reach the server on our end."

    So I checked the control panel and what-do-you-know, the server I couldn't bring up is now mysteriously back online. _It's almost like _they fixed it and want to pretend like it was available the entire time. Oh wait that's exactly what happened.

    I'm expecting different words if it's failing to start, not restart. When I've had crashed hosts that required provider intervention, telling it to start and it reports not being started is very different. Those words trigger support to look at the host before the server.

    So again, if it's starting, wtf does the console say?

  • @OpaqueRegistrant said:
    I have two that I prepaid (so can't cancel). One is totally unreachable, can't connect to VNC, and shows "power status: unavailable" in the control panel. The other starts failing every single disk operation starting a few minutes after boot or reboot. So both completely unusable. If you're paying monthly, just cancel and go somewhere else.

    This is the kind of language I was expecting if server fails to even start in the panel.

  • I wasn't expecting the jags this thread took but I see @TimboJones wants to focus on semantics rather than context clues: when I stated the server was down, perhaps a hyphen could have alleviated confusion because I tried to re-start the server AKA start it more than once. It errored out each time I tried. Cheers

  • The server is experiencing an issue, so I can't create a support ticket; every time I start the VPS, it goes offline after running for just a few minutes.

  • @heyheyhey said:
    I wasn't expecting the jags this thread took but I see @TimboJones wants to focus on semantics rather than context clues: when I stated the server was down, perhaps a hyphen could have alleviated confusion because I tried to re-start the server AKA start it more than once. It errored out each time I tried. Cheers

    That's not semantics (though you are, now), it's providing the exact error you're facing or else you get unnecessary questions and a longer support response to resolution. The error should be in the title of your ticket. Also, "restarting" implies its in an already running state (which is why console output is relevant) the hyphen is irrelevant. You shouldn't need "context clues" if you have actual errors and reproduction steps.

    You didn't share the ticket, so we don't know if you said the server wasn't reachable or if you couldn't power on or start it. Based on your quote of the tech response, they're only checking server reachability and not the power on state or VNC.

    But really, you got support response and fixed your issue and you're raging that they didn't tell you what they fixed? Wtf? Their response isn't gaslighting. You confirmed yourself what they said to you was the truth. Stop being a snowflake and make better tickets.

    Your opening line in your OP is the true point of your bitching, not the support response. This thread is weak sauce.

  • @tvphuong41 said:
    The server is experiencing an issue, so I can't create a support ticket; every time I start the VPS, it goes offline after running for just a few minutes.

    Not your account?

Sign In or Register to comment.