Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPanel DNS Cluster
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CPanel DNS Cluster

Hello,

I would like some help with configuring the dns cluster with 3 cpanel only (installed on 3 separate vps).

So I have 3 vps dns1.domain.com - dns2.domain.com and dns3.domain.com

My first question is that after each vps has the cpanel dns only installed I enter the exact same values to all three?

Meaning in vps 1:

ns1: dns1.domain.com - (with vps 1 IP)
ns2: dns2.domain.com - (with vps 2 IP)
ns3: dns3.domain.com - (with vps 3 IP)

and the exact same in the other 2 vps?

After that I configured the clusters the way that is shown in this post
http://lowendbox.com/blog/handle-dns-properly-with-cpanel/

Now I wanna do this in a webserver that has already accounts in it.
What I want to know is that after I finish installing the vps and configuring the settings, do I have to change the nameservers at my webserver?

Meaning that before I do this with the clusters I was using ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com
Now that I will be changing to dns1,dns2,dns3 I just change the nameservers from webserver from nameserver selection and thats fixes the records for existing accounts? Or I have to do it manually?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Regards,
George

Comments

• ProjectpopProjectpop Member
    edited February 2014

After you set the new nameservers, go to the Synchronize DNS Records section in your WHM to input the dns into your new dns3 server.

• Hello,

Thank you for your reply. If you can please assist a bit further.

So I do not add anything manually any dnz zone? Except A records for the dns1 dns2 and dns3 if I want them to resolve when someone access dn1.domain.com for example. Is that right?

So I just do the config as show in the leb guide and then from the webserver I synchronize all records? Is that correct?

And then for every new domain if I set for nameservers dns1.domain.com - dns2 and dns3 it will work properly?

One last thing.
    The existing domains that are hosted with the previous settings which were ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com after the change of settings will be automatically changed to the new ones or it will stay the same will have to manually edit the zones?

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited February 2014

@TH_George said:
    Now I wanna do this in a webserver that has already accounts in it.

Just to confirm, is this webserver a regular cPanel server? because cPanel DNS-only is pretty much useless if you don't have a cPanel server.
    Once you set things properly, any DNS changes on the main cPanel server will sync automatically to other servers in the cluster. Cluster could be regular cPanel server or cPanel DNS-only server.

• Yes sir the webserver is regular CPanel server.

• @TH_George Are you aware that you can avoid the cluster's setup and maintenance altogether? Check out our cPanel integration, it's free for most uses.

• wychwych Member

@TH_George
    You are aware most hosts offer some form of free DNS?

Anyways back on topic, once you have added the cluster just use the Sync DNS tool to push all zones to all servers.

You may want to update the default NS used for new accounts too!

• Thank you all for the replies. Followed some guides, contacted a few people and everything is working fine now.

Also CPanel staff were a very big help here.

Again thank you all for taking the time trying to help.