Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitoring (both inside/outside) - What Do You Use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Monitoring (both inside/outside) - What Do You Use?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I asked about this some time ago, but the landscape changes so fast.

What do you use for monitoring, where monitoring is both:

1. from the outside - such as ping, checking http, etc. There are a million products and external services (I like NodePing) that do this.
  2. from the inside - getting status from the box from inside, like "did MySQL go down" or "was there a RAID event"

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

What I do internally at least:

I use something cPanel made a while ago, you can find it below.

https://github.com/cPanelTechs/SysSnap

You don't need cPanel for that btw. I combine this with a tcpdump cron every minute for 5s, cleared by daily cron. So if I know something happened around X time, I'll pull the logs from cPanel's script which shows what was running and all that jazz, then for real in depth answers on the network activity I can pull the tcpdump cron by it's timestamp. Absolutely nothing gets past you like this.

1. Monitis for ping monitoring from multiple locations; UptimeRobot as a secondary monitor.

2. Munin and htop, etc.

• NodePing, and Observium :)

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • using NodePing and Observium

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2014
    • Zabbix for Internal + External.
    • UptimeRobot for a secondary check of HTTP resources
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I thought Observium was more of a Cacti-like MRTG-like graphing/capture/SNMP analysis tool.

Does it do things like MySQL is down, scraping /var/log/messages, etc.?

• Nagios cuz I'm used to it.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited February 2014

Internally: webmin system status or Longview

Externally: uptime robot & status cake. Application layer (HTTP w/ keywords)

• Used to use Zabbix in and out. But switching over to NewRelic and Splunkstorm just because its easier to add nodes.

• I use pingdom and a central cacti server to monitor all my http and asterisk VPS. I also use Monit on each of my servers that is configured to send me an email alert via Amazon SES whenever a monitored service or iptables goes down. It works great.

I also use AIDE to monitor for unauthorized filesystem changes. It helped me a lot during a previous security breach at one of my VPS providers - using AIDE I was able to be sure that none of my system files was modified by the hacker.

• NewRelic and StatusCake

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

For all my customers (dayjob) I use PRTG both internally and external.

• @jarland said:
    What I do internally at least:

I use something cPanel made a while ago, you can find it below.

https://github.com/cPanelTechs/SysSnap

Good to see someone else who likes a bit of SysSnap :)

• top, free -m, netstat -antlp

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited February 2014

A bit offtopic, but what happened to OpenStatus @NickM?

• vedran said: I bit offtopic, but what happened to OpenStatus

I stopped having time to work on it, basically. It does, however, live on in HostGuard's monitoring system :) Maybe at some point, I'll consider putting out a new standalone version.

• Pingdom for external host up/down monitoring and Icinga for internal more detailed monitoring like RAID status, load etc. Icinga gets configured automagially by Puppet. Then of course Observium for graphs.

• Observium

• netflow
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited February 2014

New Relic, Pingdom, StatusCake.