Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM host with bonding and VLAN tagged Virtual Machines setup on Ubuntu 12.04
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM host with bonding and VLAN tagged Virtual Machines setup on Ubuntu 12.04

Was brushing up my home lab setup. I like proxmox, however, when using proxmox everything is easy. Here's how to do it the hard way.

Preface

kvm

I want to set up a KVM host which is only reachable from the management network (VLAN 10). It is going to run VM's in two other VLAN's, VLAN 11 (accept) and VLAN 12 (production). The KVM host itself should not be reachable on the two latter VLAN's, only on the management network.

The KVM host has 2 NIC's, which are plugged in to two switches who support LACP. The switch ports for the KVM host are trunk ports for the above VLAN's (11, 10 and 12). The two NIC's are bonded in balance-xor (bond mode 3) for fault tolerance and load balancing.

We are going to create three interfaces using the linux vlan config, bond0.11, bond0.10 and bond0.12. We need to do this for the VLAN tagging.

On those interfaces we are going to create bridges for use with KVM: vmbr11, vmbr10 and vmbr12. Only vmbr10 will get an IP address, which we will use for connecting over ssh for management. The other two bridges only serve as bridges for the virtual machine nic's. Because we do it this way, it will appear to the virtual machines as if they were only in the network they are bridged in and they require no further configuration themselves.

We are using Ubuntu's vmbuilder to build a test VM. Instructions for adding a serial console for troubleshooting are also included.

My management VLAN (10) has the IP range 192.168.10.0/24. The accept VLAN (11) has the IP range 192.168.11.0/24. My production VLAN, as you might have guessed, has the range 192.168.12.0/24.

This is an example situation to keep the tutorial simple. I actually use a environment-dmz, environment-frontend and environment-backend setup with corresponding VLANs.

Requirements

• Server with Ubuntu 12.04
  • Switch with VLAN and LACP support
  • Hardware Virtualization support

You can check hardware virtualization support with the following command:

egrep '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

If it results in output like this:

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes xsave avx lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs xop skinit wdt lwp fma4 nodeid_msr topoext perfctr_core arat cpb hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold

Your CPU is able to run KVM virtual machines.

Read on at raymii.org for the full tutorial

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho