Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best PHP editor with support for HTML5/CSS/JS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best PHP editor with support for HTML5/CSS/JS

2»

Comments

• +1 for Geany. Also has a portable windows version. On the Mac BBedit, and on linux the other choice is vi.

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited April 2012

Thanks for all your input guys, will look at your suggestions! :)

Another thing that's important to me is availability of a good dark color scheme, and Sublime gets a plus in my book for that. :D

I found that themes for NetBeans suck, and Eclipse isn't far behind, there's just not that many themes that have PHP/JS/HTML support unfortunately. :(

Do you have any favourite theme? I use the Zenburn theme for Netbeans currently, but not 100% happy with the colors, they're a little vague and washed out.
    http://forums.netbeans.org/topic29869.html

• Another vote for Aptana Studio 3, it has the dark color scheme, as well as excellent code assist. FTP integration, Version System integration etc. It is just all around a excellent editor. On a side note don't bother using the eclipse plugin but instead download the full stand alone edition. It is hands down better than any IDE I have ever used. I would dare to suggest that once you try Aptana you wont ever want to use anything else.

edited April 2012

@Code018 said: FTP integration

Is there any way to pre-download the project from a remote source so you get full code completion? On Netbeans there's a project type called "Existing site from remote source" where you can pre-download all files from an FTP/SFTP and then when you change any of the files they get uploaded back onto the FTP server. And you get full code completion because all the files are available locally.

Tried finding this in Aptana but couldn't. :(

• @littleguy said: Is there any way to pre-download the project from a remote source so you get full code completion? On Netbeans there's a project type called "Existing site from remote source" where you can pre-download all files from an FTP/SFTP and then when you change any of the files they get uploaded back onto the FTP server. And you get full code completion because all the files are available locally.

I know Coda does it this.

• @littleguy

There is a synchronization feature in Aptana.
    So lets say for example I want to work on a website, well I create a new project in Aptana, under the projects menu it will then allow for you to add connections. If you add a remote connection (FTP for example) and then highlight that connection and click synchronize it will download the entire site to your PC. Once you make your changes you then click synchronize again and it will upload your changes. Its actually a really nice feature. I think that is what you were asking me about, if not clarify and I will try again.

• @Code018 said: Once you make your changes you then click synchronize again

Can it sync automatically when a file has been saved in Aptana?

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

@littleguy - in Sublime I'm using the "Espresso Libre", so sooo easy on the eyes :) (which is kinda important seeing as I like to be a vampire and work in the dark :P)

• AdamAdam Member
    edited April 2012

@littleguy have you looked into just mounting the servers in question (NFS/SMB/SSHFS). I constantly do work on a few servers and have them mounted locally to save the headache.

@liamwithers go to Package Control and download "Soda". Easy on the eyes, and it changes the sidebar color! (Follow steps in readme).
    I Couldn't handle the stock Sidebar color, especially with projects open.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Adam cheers, love the sidebar colour being changed :)

• +1 Notepad++

edited April 2012

@Adam said: have you looked into just mounting the servers in question (NFS/SMB/SSHFS).

This works really bad on remote connection as the IDE (NetBeans, Eclipse etc) scans every file on startup to determine the code completion. Imagine how slow it would be to fetch 1000+ files via FTP/SSH every time you start the editor!

I think Netbeans has the correct method (download all files beforehand, keep the locally) The only time this doesn't work is if you work from multiple locations, but you could easily have the project on Dropbox to keep it synced on all computers.

• @littleguy said: The only time this doesn't work is if you work from multiple locations

If you were in this situation and needed GUI, x-forwarding would probably be the best way to go.

edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: If you were in this situation and needed GUI, x-forwarding would probably be the best way to go.

Don't want to work externally like this, it's like remote desktop protocol - slow and unresponsive. :(

• O_o Even over my horrid work VPN, I get very workable response time from x-forwarding <_<

• @littleguy said: Do you have any favourite theme?

I use "Deep Black" in Notepad++
    Sometimes a blue one suits well too :P

• @littleguy

Well if you want to do that, just go into the remote connection directly, find the file in the file tree then edit the file. Now if you are editing a PHP file it won't show you all of the classes/imports but it will show you the built-in php functions, and the HTML editing works normally.

• ZeroZero Member

I use Notepad++ and Komodo Edit both are very good for me.
    I checked out Sublime and it seems very good...but it has a big problem...it isn't free :P

• clodclod Member
    edited September 2017

I use Codelobster PHP Edition
    It is free PHP/HTML/CSS editor that supports many popular frameworks. It also performs like ass and is literally the ugliest piece of shit I've ever seen. Rosie O'Donnell naked and without makeup is more attractive than this fucking thing.

• If non-free is okay, I'd recommend Jetbrains' PHPStorm.

It's been amazing so far.

• +1 for sublime text editor

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

+1 for Sublime Text 2

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Notepad++ user here :) I like the black theme whatever its called.