Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BitCoin Mining With A VPS - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BitCoin Mining With A VPS

Comments

• @Rami said:
    power was more cheaper in the past years than now ;)

Inflation adjusted, it's actually cheaper now (horizon > 10yrs).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121265997939?lpid=82

Cheap, uses almost no power relative to the work it puts out. Still won't make any money.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Abdussamad said: Right now GPU mining is very profitable.

...inclusive of power costs? Because a decent GPU is several hundred bucks (or several thousands if you mean really top-end) and you have to subtract the power to run it and the host.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited February 2014

3071Khash/s with a VPS?! Is that a typo?

Also, there is no way you are getting 250 Mhash/s with a single gpu. The best cards only get ~700 Khash/s. Even huge mining farms, with over 100 GPUs are in no way pulling 250 Mhash/s.

• @tchen said:

I mean they raised prices more than usual last years (because of bad economic situation)

• @Abdussamad said:
    Right now GPU mining is very profitable

really? this isnt 2012

• raindog308 said: ...inclusive of power costs? Because a decent GPU is several hundred bucks (or several thousands if you mean really top-end) and you have to subtract the power to run it and the host.

Ruchirablog said: @Abdussamad said: Right now GPU mining is very profitable

really? this isnt 2012

Yeah it's 2014. As I said GPU mining altcoins is profitable and always has been.

The problem with people when it comes to crypto currencies is that they don't look deep enough into it. That's why they get surprised when people who have looked into it point out stuff to them.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Abdussamad said:
    To all hosting providers, you guys are missing a trick or two here. It's high time you got organized and started offering mining rigs for rent. Why has this not been done yet?? Is it so hard to slap on a GPU or four and stick it in a datacenter??

Or you could just colo your own mining rigs and take all the mining profits yourself, rather than (presumably) giving a cut to the customer.

Unless mining is not going to be profitable, of course, in which case your original suggestion makes no sense.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited February 2014

joepie91 said:

Or you could just colo your own mining rigs and take all the mining profits yourself, rather than (presumably) giving a cut to the customer.

Yes you could do that and people are doing that on a massive scale:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/12/21/into-the-bitcoin-mines/

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=346134.0

The above examples are about bitcoin mining with ASICs. I am sure people are doing this for GPU mining as well but I don't know of any public reports about this.

• MrXMrX Member
    edited February 2014

Abdussamad said: To all hosting providers, you guys are missing a trick or two here. It's high time you got organized and started offering mining rigs for rent. Why has this not been done yet?? Is it so hard to slap on a GPU or four and stick it in a datacenter??

LeaseWeb is offering GPU servers. They're not cheap, though, and I doubt they had cryptocurrencies in mind when setting these up. http://www.leaseweb.com/en/dedicated-servers/gpu

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2014

Abdussamad said: Yes you could do that and people are doing that on a massive scale:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/12/21/into-the-bitcoin-mines/

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=346134.0

The above examples are about bitcoin mining with ASICs. I am sure people are doing this for GPU mining as well but I don't know of any public reports about this.

That's kind of the point. There's no reason, profitability-wise, to "rent out" mining capacity, unless you have a questionable agenda (such as network takeovers, where the main goals are extreme growth and not being challenged on your operation). That would explain why hosts aren't doing it.

EDIT: I should point out that this is quite different from renting out processing power in general; for most usecases (video transcoding, hash cracking, etc.) the usecase would work better for the person renting, than it would for you. thus making it more practical to rent out computing power, rather than for example transcoding stuff yourself (would you even have anything to transcode?).

On the Bitcoin network, everybody is equal, in the sense that any person would be able to fairly trivially set up a mining operation and gain the same profits as anybody else. Renting out computing power for that specific purpose thus makes no sense from a business perspective.

• @NateN34 said:
    3071Khash/s with a VPS?! Is that a typo?

Also, there is no way you are getting 250 Mhash/s with a single gpu. The best cards only get ~700 Khash/s. Even huge mining farms, with over 100 GPUs are in no way pulling 250 Mhash/s.

Not a typo, even my HD7770 can do almost 200 Mhash/s

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited February 2014

joepie91 said:

That's kind of the point. There's no reason, profitability-wise, to "rent out" mining capacity, unless you have a questionable agenda (such as network takeovers, where the main goals are extreme growth and not being challenged on your operation). That would explain why hosts aren't doing it.

Yes I would expect this sort of argument from you. In another thread you basically went and said that you didn't believe in specialization. There is more to alt-coin mining than just the hardware.

The argument about whether you should rent or use it yourself can be made for pretty much any usecase. Why offer hosting for blogs monetized with adsense when you can use all your hosting space to start your own blogs? Or your own whatever? You know if you own a popular site then, depending on the niche, you can recover your monthly hosting cost within 1-4 days. The rest of the month is pure profit.

joepie91 said:

On the Bitcoin network, everybody is equal, in the sense that any person would be able to fairly trivially set up a mining operation and gain the same profits as anybody else. Renting out computing power for that specific purpose thus makes no sense from a business perspective.

Nope. There is more equality in alt-coin mining than bitcoin mining. Bitcoin mining is now becoming centralized in the hands of ASIC manufacturers. Try buying an ASIC and see how it goes. You have to pre-order it and pay through the nose to boot.

• What would be the benefits of ASIC manufactures for selling the devices instead of mining with them, themselves?

• @Shigawire said:
    What would be the benefits of ASIC manufactures for selling the devices instead of mining with them, themselves?

Every new miner makes it harder for every other miner. Thus you need faster and faster devices to garner the same profit. In the case of ASIC manufactures, the more devices they sell, the more devices need to be purchased to keep a profitable mining operation running, as those old GPUs become slower and slower in the mining operation.

• Interesting. Thanks for the explanation

• It's simply saying the more people mine the higher the difficulty of mining them. This applies to all coins.

• @Mun said:

Which is why no can currently serve miners well at this point. The large increase in bitcoin miners has caused the value of bitcoin to drop as supply increases. Until we see more stability in bitcoin, providers hosting miners will not be economical.

• AppDevAppDev Member
    edited February 2014

edit : I was wrong, sorry :)

• "why sell the hardware when you can mine"

There's no easy answer, but selling 10K units may be easier than trying to mine with 10K units. It depends on the business you want to run, as some manufacturers are just that.... manufacturers.

The problem with people when it comes to crypto currencies is that they don't look deep enough into it. That's why they get surprised when people who have looked into it point out stuff to them.

I looked a little into other currencies an found it very interesting. I think everyone's fear is that it's just a ponzi scheme when it comes to mining. There's a ton of ways you can exploit price differences between exchanges and currencies.

• So for long term it is totally unadvised to be a miner, unless you would like to pulverize your profit for new mining machines?

• @AppDev said:

Litecoin is not equal to bitcoin. I was mining bitcoin in this test.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison#Nvidia <-- see here.

@Shigawire said:
    So for long term it is totally unadvised to be a miner, unless you would like to pulverize your profit for new mining machines?

Im not saying that, I am saying it is unadventurous to mine bitcoin with a CPU. You can also most stand to reason at this point that GPUs are ineffective as well.

If you feel like mining bitcoins I suggest a ASIC device.

• IMHO, after the attention in December and the news on Dogecoin all of the easy to CPU mine coins were flooded with miners. Difficulty shot up quickly and, as difficulty increased, payouts per block decreased.

On XPM I make about 1 XPM/day with two dual L5639's an E3-1275 and spare cycles from my desktop, that's about $3/day and going down. In December that same setup made me 3 XPM/day or about $10/day.

In January someone came on line with a setup making 750 XPM/day. That person is quickly mining the majority of XPM in the pool and running the difficulty up. XPM reportedly cannot be GPU or ASIC mined.

Based on the rate that XPM is being mined I can expect my March payout to be $7-$15. At that point, I'll just use the coin I've already mined and trade in the market. For three months of mining, I expect to have .8-1 BTC. Not worth the money to buy equipment but, if you have it laying around doing nothing, give it a shot.

• Have you tried Protoshares mining? I think that would be produce you more that your can trade and make profit with. What arbitrage tool are you using? Im using this one http://forum.netcoinfoundation.org/thread/348/dev-feedback-portfolio really good too

• Your calculations are all wrong. Try again with Primecoins and protoshares

• @Jupiter said:
    Your calculations are all wrong. Try again with Primecoins and protoshares

What are you referring to?

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider

ooh whats the fuzz about bitcoin anyway. lately it became more and more popular. but i dont have myself any faith in it, because "dem govments" are already bashing and warning about pyramid and ponzi schemes and etc.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2014

As long as there is a need, there is a way. "dem govments" had 0 success in stopping drugs, but managed to create a mafia which now controls full countries.
    If they wish to push these currencies underground (not much choice, really, their own currencies are losing credibility) then they can expect to confront a really illegal mean of payment which will also create mafias who need some alternative payment ways.

As a government, I wouldnt have much choice but to resist however, in the long term, only fixing the laws and economy will really stop the rise of these currencies. It is the rise of the common man, understanding his power and uniting over the internet. There will be a revolution or the governments will turn back to democracy.

Those which make peaceful revolts impossible, make the violent ones inevitable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/world/europe/protesters-join-fight-in-kiev-100-at-a-time.html?hpw&rref=world&_r=0

• harveyslinkharveyslink Member
    edited August 2019

Some people may say "it takes a whole lot of time to make your bitcoin grow". I used to say that too but not until I met Mr Jim. I want to say a very big thank you to him for taking me out of my plight. He is somebody that has helped me in realizing my dream of having more than 1BTC earlier than i expected. He simply connected my wallet to His mining stream and that way i was able to realize an average of 0.28BTC daily. And today I'm living a happily because I can get what ever I want with so much ease. And although I still have a long way to go as an investor, I just thought it wise to share this because I want us to grow together. Believe it or not, You can become a bitcoin millionaire and live the kind of life you've always dreamed about. All you have to do is leave a message on email at (lowendtalk-hates-scammers@GMAIL. COM) Tell him you want to grow your bitcoin. He'll connect you to His stream right away and trust me. it takes risk to get reward

• edited August 2019

@harveyslink said:
    Some people may say "it takes a whole lot of time to make your bitcoin grow". I used to say that too but not until I met Mr Jim. I want to say a very big thank you to him for taking me out of my plight. He is somebody that has helped me in realizing my dream of having more than 1BTC earlier than i expected. He simply connected my wallet to His mining stream and that way i was able to realize an average of 0.28BTC daily. And today I'm living a happily because I can get what ever I want with so much ease. And although I still have a long way to go as an investor, I just thought it wise to share this because I want us to grow together. Believe it or not, You can become a bitcoin millionaire and live the kind of life you've always dreamed about. All you have to do is leave a message on email at (lowendtalk-hates-scammers@GMAIL. COM) Tell him you want to grow your bitcoin. He'll connect you to His stream right away and trust me. it takes risk to get reward

LMAO

Thanked by 1Ouji
This discussion has been closed.