Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Friggin' Laser Beams, High Speed Data Transfer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Friggin' Laser Beams, High Speed Data Transfer

Interesting article

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/02/rooftop-military-grade-lasers-are-the-next-big-thing-for-high-speed-trading/

Right now, workers are installing lasers atop tall office and residential buildings in New Jersey to link two NYSE data centres, spread 35 miles apart. Other companies plan to install similar networks.

Comments

• Will it still functional if someone decides to build a high building/tower in between those data centers?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • I highly doubt that :) although it would be easy to hijack data with a helicopter a mirror and a receiver!

• Suddenly A Wild Amazon Prime Air Drone appears!

• What is this bullshit?

The picture is photoshopped because you normally can't see a laser, only reflection disortion such as dust.

It's not faster than fiber optics because it's both light, and as others said in comments too, it would be incredible easy to mess with.

Unless I'm missing something I don't see how it would persist in bad weather as they claim, if they use high frequencies to solve this problem then you might aswell call it "aimed radiowaves".

Sounds like either a hoax or some silly hype to overcharge wall street monkies with who never paid attention at physics or chemistry...

• AzureVPSAzureVPS Member
    edited February 2014

@c0y said:
    It's not faster than fiber optics because it's both light, and as others said in comments too, it would be incredible easy to mess with.

The slightly shorter distance the light has to travel compared to it being in an optical fibre curving around could reduce the latency, but probably not by any noticeable amount

@c0y said:
    Unless I'm missing something I don't see how it would persist in bad weather as they claim, if they use high frequencies to solve this problem then you might aswell call it "aimed radiowaves".

Frequencies higher than the light used in the typical laser, likely infra-red or visible, would be in the ultraviolet range, not radio.

• @c0y said:

light speed in fiber is slower than in air.

• @AzureVPS said:
    Frequencies higher than the light used in the typical laser, likely infra-red or visible, would be in the ultraviolet range, not radio.

You're right, not a total expert at these things but my standpoint remains.

@cause said:
    light speed in fiber is slower than in air.

Light speed on earth is always as fast, especially considering it doesn't even go through a material, at best bounces at the sides of the fiber cable.

I hope they will actually manage to sell those and get reports for either light vandalism (flashing data at night time, err) or reports of birds having cancer...

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • google "refractive index". also speed of light in vacuum on earth is slower than in space.

• it will be save lot money.. i imagine if i have a dedicated server that have ability like that.. :D

• AzureVPSAzureVPS Member
    edited February 2014

c0y said: Light speed on earth is always as fast, especially considering it doesn't even go through a material, at best bounces at the sides of the fiber cable.

Actually, the area where light travels in a fibre is glass, around a refractive index of 1.6 according to wikipedia. That means light in a optical fibre travels at around 60% (1/1.6) of the speed it does in a vacuum, compared to air with a refractive index of around 1.0003.

Note: Refractive index refers to the phase velocity, not the group velocity (which is what actually transmits information), but they're usually closely related for most materials.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

This idea has been around forever (both with lasers and LEDs) in the meshnet communities , and the problem has always been obstruction of the beam - either through buildings, or through for example fog.

• Moon hosting incoming!

• How about they run the lasers under ground? less likely hood of getting blocked

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    How about they run the lasers under ground? less likely hood of getting blocked

Unless there is structural support of the tunnels, earthquakes.