Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High memory VM's
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High memory VM's

twaintwain Member
edited April 2012 in General

Which hypervisor (Xen, KVM, or OpenVZ), would be best to handle a situation where you have:

A smaller number of VM's (say max 8) and each VM is allocated 6-8G of RAM each. Then each VM for example decides to use most of their allocated RAM, thereby coming close to reaching full capacity of RAM on the host.

Or does it not really matter?

Comments

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

For high memory VM's I'd probably stay away from Openvz, but either Xen or KVM would be fine. You'd probably be better also offering XEN-HVM so that they'd be more like semi-dedicated servers than VPS.

• @httpzoom said: For high memory VM's I'd probably stay away from Openvz, but either Xen or KVM

Why would you stay away from OpenVZ? All can be oversold.

Thanked by 2TheHackBox Mon5t3r
  • KairusKairus Member
    edited April 2012

I imagine OpenVZ would be the best because there's less overhead. It depends what you plan on using the VPSes for, since memory allocation is weird on the .18 kernels.

• @DanielM

Probably because how stupid OpenVZ handles memory.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @NateN34 said: Probably because how stupid OpenVZ handles memory.

We've never had a single issue with OpenVZ besides it not allowing all memory to be used, but that was patched in a kernel update a few days after ErrantWeb opened in January. OpenVZ is really criticized as a oversold option. However no one seems to want to see about the provider, and see how it runs. I know for a fact our nodes run fine. People use us for Minecraft ( something that other providers here that run openvz say wont work correctly on openvz ). OpenVZ is a great option for anything unless you need to run your own kernel.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Errant,

The problem is historically its been used for overselling and still can to this day. That is not to say people do not run it correctly.

• necsnecs Member

I would say KVM as you can over allocate RAM if you need to

• @ErrantWeb my biggest complaint with non-vswap openvz is things like this:

##################################################################################
    # Misconfigured mysql and I ended up with a container "using" (allocating) 431MB #
    # more memory than the host's memory usage including buffers and caches          #
    ##################################################################################

[root@claw ~]# vzlist
          CTID      NPROC STATUS    IP_ADDR         HOSTNAME
           110         15 running   192.168.1.206   vps-110.claw.local
           111         12 running   192.168.1.207   vps-111.claw.local
           112         12 running   192.168.1.208   vps-112.claw.local
    [root@claw ~]# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           746        143        602          0          0         22
    -/+ buffers/cache:        120        625
    Swap:         1503          0       1503
    [root@claw ~]# vzctl enter 110
    entered into CT 110
    [root@vps-110 /]# free -m
    Mem:           746        574        171          0          0          0
    -/+ buffers/cache:        574        171
    Swap:            0          0          0

##############################################################################
    # Later, I was playing with Apache 2.4, and the default config resulted in a #
    # container "using" more memory than the host had                            #
    ##############################################################################

[root@vz ~]# free -m
    Mem:           755        322        433          0         16        207
    -/+ buffers/cache:         97        657
    [root@vz ~]# vzctl exec 206 free -m
    Mem:           755        755          0          0          0          0
    -/+ buffers/cache:        755          0
    [root@vz ~]# vzlist
          CTID      NPROC STATUS    IP_ADDR         HOSTNAME
           205         12 running   192.168.1.205   test128
           206         94 running   192.168.1.206   httpd2.4.test

/proc/user_beancounters showed 857.6 MB had been allocated.
  • antivenantiven Member

@ErrantWeb said: People use us for Minecraft ( something that other providers here that run openvz say wont work correctly on openvz ).

No, Minecraft works fine if you set the Java machine's memory limits when you execute the jar file. It should work fine with all OpenVZ setups, assuming there's enough memory to run it.

@DanielM said: Why would you stay away from OpenVZ? All can be oversold.

The way I understood it KVM/Xen cannot be oversold. They can be "ballooned" or some such, but that requires the cooperation of the kernel, so its in your control.