Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlanta - Major weather issues
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Atlanta - Major weather issues

We're monitoring the situation at our datacentre in Atlanta, we're hoping that everything will remain online. We have UPS/generator which should cover the load if utility power fails. BUT with everything going on in Atlanta, I would consider all datacentres in our building as 'At Risk'.

Telx/Equinix at 56 Marietta may fair better because I believe they have larger diesel tanks.

QTS in Suwanee should be unaffected as they are operating in a custom built facility outside of downtown Atlanta and have substantial diesel reserves. However almost all of their fibre runs back via 55 and 56 Marietta Street, so if either of those buildings suffer a failure, then they'll lose connectivity.

Given the level of ice/snow/sleet in downtown Atlanta this evening, its unlikely that a refueling truck would not be able to refuel the fuel tanks there once its consumed.

Georgia Power has deployed a number of people around the city to deal with problems as they occur. But if its catastrophic then they maybe overwhelmed.

If you have critical services in Atlanta, now is a good time to check that your failover solutions are working - just in case.

More news info here:

http://www.ajc.com/
http://www.wsbtv.com/

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n

Comments

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

lol! I love when a warm place gets 10cm of snow and completely shuts down. 10cm is nothing up here in the north :D

Thanked by 2eric1212 tux
  • agoldenberg said: lol! I love when a warm place gets 10cm of snow and completely shuts down. 10cm is nothing up here in the north :D

Hah! 10cm is a nice spring day :)

Thanked by 2eric1212 tux
  • I don't see how its "cool" that a place can shutdown because of snow. You fools can have your snow.

• @catalystium said:
    I don't see how its "cool" that a place can shutdown because of snow. You fools can have your snow.

HAHA Schools where I am are closed tomorrow and it's not snowed here in years lol. And im south of Nashville TN, no where near Atlanta lol.

• Yeah schools are closed on the western end of NC without a drop of snow yet. Supposed to get blanketed tomorrow but I'll believe it when I see it.

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited February 2014

CNN.com is having issues right now

That doesn't bode well

http://imgur.com/t4EsLbW

Back up now:
    Went down at: Feb 11 2014 06:33:23 PM EST
    Was down for 31 minute(s)

• 70F in Southern California

• @Brad - now you are showing off :) Its a brisk 4C here in UK

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Its a nice 51F here.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2014

+3 Celsius here

• 35celcius here.
    With rain : p

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Just woke up after a 1 hour "nap" to snow all over here in Scotland, UK.

• lol so funny litle snow everything shutdown im here in Calgary -25C with windchill -35C and everything working not mention the snow we have here

• President Obama declared an emergency in GA. Not much of a storm, but I guess it's just not something they're prepared for, unlike Northern states.

Hope everyone is safe down there!

• Well Atlanta screwed up a week or so ago, now they are going to over do it and nothing will happen haha.

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

Don't compare northern states/countries with the southern states.
    Anyhow, it supposed to get worse by tomorrow. Let's hope that there is no massive power outages here ;)

• The weather was great in California again

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited February 2014

damm these weather, thanks to it I just hit 2 weeks no server since order :( project deadline is fast approaching and I might need to look elsewhere

• @belinik - if this was a Delimiter order, please PM me the email address you use to order your server.

• RyanDRyanD Member
    edited February 2014

Thats a bit blown out of proportion. The threat to power systems is from falling trees on power lines, not mass caos :)

As a resident of Atlanta, for the last 20 years, this isn't anything special :)

The "GradyGrid" which is part of the Georgia Power Hi-Rely downtown grid that is multi-substation fed, is entirely contained underground there are no above ground lines servicing it. In the last number of ice storms there have been no interruptions in power at 55 Marietta and I have operated datacenter facilities in that building for the last 8 Years. All faults that have resulted in power outages in that building have been as a result of internal building bus failures as all tenants on the shared building base generator are serviced by a high-rise bus that delivers the power to their suite from the basement where the utility and generator tie-ins are.

I would say tenants in 55 and 56 Marietta are at a significantly higher risk of a failure from a cooling system if they are tied to roof-mounted chilled-loop or condenser tower systems. Both buildings utilize them heavily (delimiter included as Mark indicated). This is exactly what happened to FDC Servers in Denver last week.

As a precaution we reviewed fuel levels and readiness of all equipment at our 34 Peachtree location (2 blocks from 55/56) this morning. Our generators performed their normal exercise run yesterday, the 10th.

All of our cooling equipment (DX and Glycol Rejection) are contained within the building in service galleys. We draw outside air into the building on one side, process the air through our rejection systems and blow the air back out the other side. We're not subject to the same issues as roof-top mounted rejection equipment when it comes to snow/ice exposure :)

Thanked by 2Spencer Nick_A
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Having personally hosted equipment in either 55 Marietta or 56 Marietta since 2000, I can say that the only power outage I can remember that wasn't caused by a screw up of either the data center's or building's power systems was caused by a squirrel or other critter that got into a transformer or something like that. It caused a brief outage at 56 Marietta. I'm pretty sure it was isolated to just that building, though, so I'm not sure that even counts.

The power grid in downtown Atlanta is pretty solid. I think someone told me that it hadn't seen an outage since 1985 or something like that, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Thanked by 2Nick_A AlexanderM
  • Currently no network issue open.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I have nothing to add to what @RyanD and @qps said except that I'm cold :/ I'm sure the Mariettas will be fine.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Super excited that I'm not flying through hartsfield jackson tomorrow.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Nick_A said:
    I have nothing to add to what RyanD and qps said except that I'm cold :/ I'm sure the Mariettas will be fine.

• @jbiloh said:
    Super excited that I'm not flying through hartsfield jackson tomorrow.

Couldn't if you wanted to, they've cancelled 2200 flights ;)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@RyanD said:
    Couldn't if you wanted to, they've cancelled 2200 flights ;)

I'm sure if I got stuck there you'd cook a great dinner for me :)

• It looks like this storm is going to be worse than the one we had 2 weeks ago. Thankfully the city seems to be better prepared this time.

• @Xenos said:
    It looks like this storm is going to be worse than the one we had 2 weeks ago. >Thankfully the city seems to be better prepared this time.

really? Worse?

• @princeshoko said:
    really? Worse?

Yes, there is already an inch of sleet on the ground, thousands without power, and we are expecting 6-12 inches of snow on top of it tonight.