Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not specialized VPS services? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why not specialized VPS services?

2»

Comments

• I have been looking into doing this. Basically it will be a node full of small (big enough for sites) openvz containers running something like webuzo panel if customers want or just lamp stack with maybe a ftp server. The customers will get root access and can run things like jsp servlets, node.js apps any other applications but the tos would restrict them from using it for anything other than web hosting or running web app. There are still a lot of gray areas, but im sure there are ways around those.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

Shall be regretted. A bunch of incapable web hosts are much worse neighbors than half idle personal vpns. But you'll need to offer a platform for hosting for sure or half your signups will be opening tickets with "i thought this was for web hosting why does FTP not connect" 5 minutes after provision.

It sounds attractive in theory but the practice will have more cancelations and confused signups than the all purpose unmanaged vps. Not to mention websites will be targeted for attacks on every vps instead of just some vps. Because everyone will use an unsecured CMS. The exception to the rule won't lighten the server load enough.

There's a reason that companies that do this charge more and it isn't just about cpanel licensing cost and memory overhead.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@drserver said:
    We have that options. Some of them are under 7 USD.

Interesting. Thought a H/T core isn't really a core, so you're sharing CPU.

But what about I/O and network? That's where open source virtualization typically falls down.

Are you dedicating a drive to each VM? Because if you're sharing it...

And you've got a shared port.

Not bashing your offering - not at all, looks interesting and closer to dedicated resources than most VPS offerings - but it doesn't look like the perfect virtualization world we were talking about upthread.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

raindog308 said: Interesting. Thought a H/T core isn't really a core, so you're sharing CPU.

But what about I/O and network? That's where open source virtualization typically falls down.

Are you dedicating a drive to each VM? Because if you're sharing it...

And you've got a shared port.

Not bashing your offering - not at all, looks interesting and closer to dedicated resources than most VPS offerings - but it doesn't look like the perfect virtualization world we were talking about upthread.

You can get dedicated thread, dedicated core, dedicated 100mbps port, your own disk... Only factor is how much are you willing to pay for that kind of service.

• rmlhhd said: There should be an idea's section on this forum where people can express their ideas wether their new or just improving something. @mpkossen

The 'General' section is just fine for that :-)

SkylarM said: disabling everything but web-based stuff sort of defeats the purpose of a VPS at that point

Not at all. I want to run my web applications in an environment that is optimized for those applications. No shared hosting provider can ever do that. So a VPS-for-webhosting is ideal for that purpose. And no neighbors messing up my performance. It would be awesome!

Prometeus already sort-of does this with they BIZ line. There's a number of limitations on those servers and they leave plenty of room to spare on the node, so there's always a certain performance.