Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I set up DNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I set up DNS?

larslars Member

Hello, I have a server running VestaCP, a new open source very good control panel.
How can people now point their domain to it? I know they can use a simple A record, but some hosting providers have their own nameservers?
E.g. ns1.host.tld and ns2.host.tld and everything then just works
So how do I do this?

Comments

• Thanks very much! Followed those steps, hopefully it will work.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited February 2014

Sorry about any typos i did this very fast, don't have a lot of time today.

First thing you need to do is install dns server, if using vestacp i assume dns (bind9) is up and running, you need a 2nd dns as most domain registrars need two ip's to create two name servers, a few will let you get away with only one ip.

You need to do two thing at your domain registrar

1. Goto to your registrar and create two or more name servers,

all you are doing is telling the registrar the names and ip of your dns like

ns1.yourdomain.com @ 111.111.111.111 and ns2.yourdomain.com @ 222.222.222.222

2. Goto to your registrar and go to each domain and set your name servers as dns

3. Go to your vesta control panel under Packages and replace the default name servers with yours

4. Go to your vesta control panel under DNS press "Add DNS Domain" enter domain name and ip address press add

5. Go to your vesta control panel under DNS press "edit" for each domain set SOA to your ns1.yourdomain.com (this may be already set ) press save,

Note: that TTL is set at 14400 if at a later date you wish to use failover ttl need to be a lower number like 300

6. Go to your vesta control panel under DNS press "+ add record",

add all records needed for each zone

7. When setting up your zone records don't forget that your name servers needs an A Record, some forget to do this they think it's set at the registrar so an A Record is not needed

ns1.yourdomain.com. NS ns1.yourdomain.com.

ns2.yourdomain.com. NS ns2.yourdomain.com.

ns1.yourdomain.com. A 111.111.111.111

ns2.yourdomain.com. A 222.222.222.222

my help stops here, i am a VestaCP user, But i don't use bind9,

i use Maradns, lot less ram and very easy to setup, i use BTSYnc as cluster system and i have created a failover system for maradns.

Thanked by 2Mark_R GM2015
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited February 2014

@lars said:.
    How can people now point their domain to it? I know they can use a simple A record, but some hosting providers have their own nameservers?

they set their domains to your dns

they do #2 then you are they do #4, 5 and 6

Note: i don't like that the user can change the TTL

Thanked by 1GM2015