Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndIRC - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndIRC

2»

Comments

• debugdebug Member

@Derek said: Join us on irc.freenode.net #lowendbox and join the fun

I also like the mini-LET community that lives on #Frantech on dairc; feels more active.

• Well, thanks to @Derek, I've setup #CubixCloud on freenode. The community over there seems alright. #Lowendbox also :D

• shadowircd works too.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Aren't there plenty of IRC networks that allow free creation of channels for whatever purpose?

Anyhow, I do actually already run an IRC network that consists pretty much entirely of VPSes at low-end providers, and that offers IPv6 connectivity: http://wiki.cryto.net/doku.php?id=irc:serverinfo

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I'm also for the freenode channel, there already is a channel and it's working, and has users..

edited April 2012

@Infinity said: I'm also for the freenode channel, there already is a channel and it's working, and has users..

From what I gather from the thread, it's not so much about a channel for LEB/LET, as it is about a network about VPSes and hosting in general, that would allow hosts and others to make their own channels :P

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

My bad, I blame this iPhone for not reading properly.

Either way, I think that will just cause confusion, with everyone scattered over different channels.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited April 2012

@debug said: @Derek said: Join us on irc.freenode.net #lowendbox and join the fun

I also like the mini-LET community that lives on #Frantech on dairc; feels more active.

#Frantech seems more west coast populated while #Lowendbox is more EU/east coast

I agree #Frantech is more active, it is more established, but also provider specific, which does not bother me, I hang for the socializing myself, but I've seen many tossed out for not respecting the fact it is their channel.

• I'm with miTgiB. I'm on the east coast but I frequent #frantech for the socializing.

In general, I think there is too much overlap in *nix services, websites, projects. Too many *nix users want to fork 248022802 copies of the same project to tweak it and prune it, and then never finish it. Instead, the community should be working on unification and consolidation to make feature sets larger with the same code base. And before I get bashed, spare me the "diversification = better code by different people" story. I don't buy it becuase one look at Freshmeat, Sourceforge, etc will show the hundreds of forked projects that never finish. So

having said that, I think the community should consolidate all of these irc channels into one ... maybe a irc.lowendbox.com :)

@rajprakash said: In general, I think there is too much overlap in *nix services, websites, projects. Too many *nix users want to fork 248022802 copies of the same project to tweak it and prune it, and then never finish it. Instead, the community should be working on unification and consolidation to make feature sets larger with the same code base. And before I get bashed, spare me the "diversification = better code by different people" story. I don't buy it becuase one look at Freshmeat, Sourceforge, etc will show the hundreds of forked projects that never finish. So

having said that, I think the community should consolidate all of these irc channels into one ... maybe a irc.lowendbox.com :)

Apart from centralization often being a risk factor (especially with someone going around that likes DDoSing hosts in his spare time...) I haven't really seen that happen in this thread yet :P

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited April 2012

@debug said: I also like the mini-LET community that lives on #Frantech on dairc; feels more active.

Ya, the stock begging generally does keep it a bit more active.

• flyfly Member

the problem with centralizing is that someone has to be the top dog. and i don't see anyone from this community fit to run a network for this community.

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • seraphkzseraphkz Member
    edited April 2012

What about someone who is not affiliated with any commercial hosting company?

And thing is, if we have a centralized IRC server, companies will still be able to own their own channels.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

@kbar said: the problem with centralizing is that someone has to be the top dog. and i don't see anyone from this community fit to run a network for this community.

Yeah, some time ago I posted:

@Spirit said: It would be cool, but what I see as most common problem with IRC over all those years is that people want to "own" something (ie. channels/community) while many others don't appreciate authority of one of them (or us) and that's why "hey I created #lowendbox channel at.. everyone is invited" won't ever work.

Things would maybe work if LEA (as impartial person which we respected and trusted) would personally created channel on some 3rd party network but as this never happened we see every now and then individuals with tendencies for very own LEB channel but nothing further.
    It would be actually nice to meet some people and chat with on some calm, pleasant IRC community but I am afraid that it would sooner or later turn into battle of interests, trolling, power trippin, etc... so I really don't care much if we have or haven't IRC channel.

But I must admit that so far things at #lowendbox at freenode aren't that bad and there isn't some egotrippin' experience yet :)

@LivingSouL said: What do you guys think of a network composed of low end boxes with IPv6 enabled?

@Kairus said: I think someone brought this up before, nobody seemed interested though :(

I think that it was my idea:

@Spirit said: Lets form own IRC network! :D

Can you imagine with so many LEB boxes... if every lowentalk user who wants for fun to link own IRCd and then we list all those servers... would be crazy :)
    (it's just a thought, nothing serious)

This is possible however to have idea, wish and resources isn't enough. The hardest part isn't installing & linking but coordination. IRCd version, some basic linking rules, opers behaviour guidelines, number of users connections from same host, etc, etc, etc... Just imagine daily situations like someones excess global /kill usage, or locally you ban abuser on your server and I ignore it on my, etc.. In bigger group of opers on different levels of maturity conflicts are unavoidable. It would be interesting experiment, though.

• @Spirit : You hit the nail right on the head.
    1) People want to "own" something instead of being "under" someone else's authority or framework and 2) lots of talk, no action. :)

Also, does anyone have a good list of providers that does allow ircd?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

@rajprakash I think that most of those which allow IRC don't differentiate between IRC clients and IRC daemons as long isn't for malicious usage. Here and there I see specific "no IRCd" line in "IRC allowed" TOS or "IRCds are allowed as long they aren't part of bigger public networks" but not so often.

• flyfly Member

edis, buyvm, inception

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Spirit said: "IRCds are allowed as long they aren't part of bigger public networks" but not so often.

I never got this line. It isn't like efnet is going to approve some guys $3/m VPS hosted in OVH :)

Francisco