Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best looking server monitor?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best looking server monitor?

There are a lot of threads about uptime and service monitors, but I started looking around for the one that makes you go whoah.

I've been using uptimerobot for a while, and the UI update finally made it look good, but Observium's dashboard map really does it for me.

Anything else out there that looks exceptionally nice?

Comments

• Monitis in my opinion looks really nice. Its rather costly though.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Uptime robot looks awesome! And they are pretty right when it comes to monitoring! ;)

• pbalazs123pbalazs123 Member
    edited February 2014

@zormal

Lol that host is down for 43 years :DD

Btw

Internal use:

observium.org

External use:

uptimerobot.com

statuscake.com

• @pbalazs123 Can't win all the time ;)

I found Monitis a bit confusing, based on my five minutes of fiddling around with it. Maybe I should give it another go.

• Never tried it.

• StatusCake is cool. And they offer a free plan that scans unlimited domains in 5 minute intervals.

• @zormal said:
    There are a lot of threads about uptime and service monitors, but I started looking around for the one that makes you go whoah.

I've been using uptimerobot for a while, and the UI update finally made it look good, but Observium's dashboard map really does it for me.

Anything else out there that looks exceptionally nice?

What's missing from Observium for you to consider something else? Do you need server metrics or just uptime?

• barryhernebarryherne Member
    edited February 2014

There are so many tool to use to monitor servers. I personally use Anturis (http://www.anturis.com) to check the servers. I like it because it is cloud-based and it is all in one that is good for small companies like mine.

• @Virtovo said:
    What's missing from Observium for you to consider something else? Do you need server metrics or just uptime?

I'm mainly using cloud-based services. Observium takes a bit to set up.

I require simple server metrics like memory, ram and disk, in addition to down notices (uptime). Some service info would be nice, but not too important. NodeQuery beta seems excellent.

Thanked by 1Joe_NQ
  • @zormal said:

I'm happy to help you get a simple Observium setup going if you'd like?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

uptime and cake.

• @pbalazs123 said:
    zormal

Lol that host is down for 43 years :DD

Btw

Internal use:

observium.org

External use:

uptimerobot.com

statuscake.com

We've been looking at observium as well. Has anyone been using it recently?

• Zabbix is great, a bit of a pita once in a while but its worth it.

• @jmax I've been using it for a long time now in production. Pretty cool.

• i would recommend uptimerobot.com been using them for months with no issues

• @pbalazs123 said:
    jmax I've been using it for a long time now in production. Pretty cool.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. We were looking at GFI as well. Do you know anything about them? They're much more affordable, but aren't as popular.

• Pingdom?? No one??

• I really enjoy uptimerobot, tons of features, great minimal look, and totally free. Can't really beat that.

• @jmax said:

I don't know but Observium has a community version aswell and that's free.

• Uptimerobot is awesome :)

• @PremiumN said:
    Pingdom?? No one??

Pingdom +1 =)

• i use both uptimerobots and pingdom, but i like pingdom more since its every minute compare to 5 mins for uptimerobots

• jmax said: We've been looking at observium as well. Has anyone been using it recently?

I use it for all my nodes, and have been for 6 months. Very easy to setup, and very easy to customize (clean PHP). I wanted to go with software like New Relic, but I needed to self host (Not all nodes have public addresses).

• Relic uses more ram and CPU. Don't use it if you have 1gb or less

• tchentchen Member

NewRelic's system monitor runs fine on my 128MB ovz out there. It'll only get hefty if you're running some of the java plugin checkers (i.e. Mysql).

That aside, has anyone tried riemann.io? The ability to work well with graphite/statsd is giving me a hard-on.

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited March 2014

namhuy said: Relic uses more ram and CPU. Don't use it if you have 1gb or less

12 mbytes of RAM for x86 and 24 mbytes of RAM for x64 - maximum. Not really 1 gb.

• wow really? last time i tried new relic on my 512 vps, it eats quite some ram (dont remember exactly but should be ~30-50 mb) plus cpu went up i think 1 or 2 something. i had bad experience w/ new relic anyway :(

but it as some cool features I like

• namhuy said: wow really? last time i tried new relic on my 512 vps, it eats quite some ram (dont remember exactly but should be ~30-50 mb) plus cpu went up i think 1 or 2 something. i had bad experience w/ new relic anyway :(

but it as some cool features I like

What app is discussed?

Newrelic sysmond uses 2 mb of memory for now on my production servers with Debian Wheezy. And on top/htop it's always 0.0% of memory usage :) CPU is used once 3-5 minutes and at low level. It should not be an issue.

Maybe you are using some crazy OS? Windows?

• tchentchen Member

Perhaps pre vswap openvz days? My RSS is about 5MB right now too. Virt is 140MB though :P