Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SMTP Mail Server HELP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SMTP Mail Server HELP

Hi, I just installed postfix, and everything is default. I then tested sending out an email to my personal gmail account but I never got it. I just need the server to be able to send mail, not receive it. Anyone know the issue, or what I should do?

Comments

• Did you install sendmail ?

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited February 2014

@namhuy said:
    Did you install sendmail ?

@namhuy No, I just installed postfix. I somewhat followed this tutorial, except for all the DNS stuff, since I just want to send mail not receive it. Do I need sendmail? Not sure what that is.

• @Cltcam said:
    namhuy No, I just installed postfix. I somewhat followed this tutorial, except for all the DNS stuff, since I just want to send mail not receive it. Do I need sendmail? Not sure what that is.

Check your email log. /var/log/mail.log

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited February 2014

@dnwk said:
    Check your email log. /var/log/mail.log

@dnwk Just has what I pasted below. By the way, remember that I didn't do any DNS editing or anything. Just default install of postfix since I only need to be able to send mail, not receive.

Feb 9 03:01:17 h199-229-250-15 postfix/master[25801]: daemon started -- version 2.10.2, configuration /etc/postfix

Feb 9 03:05:13 h199-229-250-15 postfix/master[25801]: reload -- version 2.10.2, configuration /etc/postfix

Feb 9 03:08:50 h199-229-250-15 postfix/master[25801]: reload -- version 2.10.2, configuration /etc/postfix

• Instead of postfix, try ssmtp

• Ssmtp is easy to set up with a gmail. Also check your gmail spam folder.

• You might want to at least follow the SPF portion of the tutorials.

• It should "just work" out of the box, even with gmail. If there is nothing in your mail.log is there anything in mail.err?

• Fixed. Thanks, please close.

• What was the issue? Share with the group so everyone can benefit.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If the vps has ipv6 this is default and google is strict when it comes to rdns and settings for ipv6.

• pbalazs123pbalazs123 Member
    edited February 2014

@Cltcam

I suggest you to use mailgun with ssmtp if you're going to use it for just outbound. Much easier to configure and providers will not mark your e-mail as spam. Like gmail doing it if you have misconfigured something or don't have the proper SPF settings.

• http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure-the-server/Install-ssmtp.html Great tutorial. You can change gmail to any domain you want.