Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List that make trouble to node ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

List that make trouble to node ?

iSkyiSky Member

Hi, i was very curious regarding the topic title.
May i know what is the list than can cause node being trouble ?
Undoubtly was DDoS and SPAM
another list please ? Failing setup from the technical ? Oversell ?

Comments

• You mean a list of things that can cause a VPS node to perform poorly?

• Overselling (obviously)

However, overselling is only generally a problem in OpenVZ.

I say this for good reason, on KVM for example; you reach other limits before you are able to oversell your hardware, unless you only put 32GB of RAM in a Dual E5 machine or something really stupid...

DDoS / network attacks, game servers (which attract network attacks), spamming / abusive clients, "marketing" software, there are almost infinite things that can slow down a node.

A bunch of idiots doing dd "tests" or ioping every minute/hour also slows down the nodes quite a bit.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @Virtovo : more likely causing trouble or throttle the nodes and affect the resources of other VPS (I/O Perfomance, CPU abuse etc)

@hardcloud i got a case that sounds funny, it was not only slowing down but making TROUBLE LoL

• support123support123 Member
    edited February 2014

I have some bad experience with gameservers recently

Thanked by 1Radi
  • Everything when done excessively will affect any node.

• CPU Abuse : for example digital currency mining, folding@home

Disk abuse : for example DD test, torrent, minecraft

Network abuse : DoS, DDoS, leecher, continuous downloading test file on a bad purpose

-- Placing 1000 user on a 32GB node with 1GB memory for each user.

• @ftpit in that case it was the VPS spec that didn't meet the requirement of the game server CMIIW ?

@DalComp : yeah, update OS, wget script, then create database, is that so hard for the VPS with 2GB Ram and 1 Gbps port ?

@erawanarifnugroho : for mining, can it cause trouble to nodes too ?

• iSky , yeah :)

Let say, one user use the core for mining, it will be 100% usage. If we give the user 4 cores, it will be 100% for all 4 cores. Another user which need the core processing power will see that the program they run were slower.

More and more, we need to reboot the node.Do you want to try it? Try to make 4 vps, and run mining at it. Make another vps, to run mysql or another script that need cpu, and see how it works.

• then will it be trouble if i run java play framework and create database only ? @Erawanarif nugroho

• Sorry, I don't get it. Do you run Minecraft, and having database at the same server? How many user/vps do you have in the node?

• nope, i trying some script that require Java Play Framework and sync it with the mysql database. Also it was just beta test, and the results was fail. I use it alone, i just have 1 vps in that node but the providers claims it was causing trouble to ALL other user that was in same node with me. So i was curious what is the main problem that causing a big deal

• Create a cronjob for dd/ioping that starts 'em every 5 minutes ;') (joke, don't do it)

• @IceCream said:
    Create a cronjob for dd/ioping that starts 'em every 5 minutes ;') (joke, don't do it)

LoL wget alone was flagged and suspended because make trouble to node, i can't think if i'm doing what you said. maybe i got IP Blocklist from them

• Which provider flags wget? That's insane.

• not wget only :p i just try some script that still on development, and running java play framework also create the database, but got suspended. The reason was "cause a trouble to the node and affect other users" i just using update OS, wget the script, installing java play framework and create mysql. then got suspended ROFL

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2014

JingLing

• At one side, it might be us that causing the problem to the node.

At another side, it might be the provider that having bad config, overselling too much, or pushing too much user in the node.

• @erawanarifnugroho : and it must be the second one, and they blame it on me.