Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop abusing "dd", use ioping instead? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stop abusing "dd", use ioping instead?

2»

Comments

• sycoticsycotic Member
    edited February 2014

@nonuby said:
    wants to feel he's got what he believes he has paid for.

Well... I would rather not have 16% iowait on my yum update regardless of what I was using it for. Pulling patches should not be a 2 hour process.

• @nonuby that's fine and as I said the host should be the one running it - so it's 1 benchmark and not 200 from each VPS etc. Happy to take that feedback on in terms of improvements that the host needs to run this, maybe once every 4 hours to reduce load and have these graphs available in the panel for viewing. Stats on the server.

That's what it should be. You get to see the server's health. Rightfully justified and none of that abuse mentality.

• Maounique said: If you really need a very fast website you cache everything like mad in RAM. No disk will do better than RAM in random access and responsiveness. There are tons of mega ram offerings,with proper cache almost everything will not need a fast storage.

This is true, but the feasibility of this really does depend on your application, budget and what you are willing to accept. For example, a large database with relatively lower activity (i.e. you don't need the speed of RAM, but the disk shouldn't be horribly slow either). After all, disks and SSDs are still hell of a lot cheaper than RAM, even after taking redundancy into consideration.

concerto49 said: This is different to what's happening here. People are running it non-stop before and after moving a website.

There are still uses for it. For one, a higher level test may not reveal much information on what exactly is the culprit of a period of poor performance, whilst doing a quick "ping" every so often gives you more confidence over whether the disk is at fault or not.

• xyz said: whilst doing a quick "ping" every so often gives you more confidence over whether the disk is at fault or not.

Again you shouldn't be monitoring if there are disk faults - that's what the host does.

• concerto49 said: Again you shouldn't be monitoring if there are disk faults - that's what the host does.

Well, hopefully they do (and do it well)...

Ideally, you shouldn't need to monitor your host's uptime either...

Thanked by 2tchen redo
  • said: One of my providers recommends that I should DD only once or twice a day.

How many times were you doing it that they had to tell you this?

Mun said:

Yes sir!

Most of my process time is to do with I/O wait.

I see you are running a seedbox.

• We've started kicking clients off who run mindless DDs and iopings all day, it disrupts the legitimate users far too much; and we don't need to bother catering to the LE* children anymore. The LE* customers are still fine, but not the LE* children (two completely separate demographics.)

We have LookingGlass, Nagios/NRPE, Cacti, SMNP, etcetera; so our clients don't need to be "testing" their VPSes every five seconds, we have minutely monitoring for this reason ourselves.