Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Munin + Nagios
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Munin + Nagios

birdie25birdie25 Member
edited April 2012 in General

I want to monitor my VPS's and websites which are on shared hosting with Munin. Is this even possible, and what kind of VPS do i need for that? Like RAM and such? And could you do some recommendations? It must be in the EU. Budget: as low as possible!

Thanks ;)

Comments

• AsimAsim Member

Try XENVZ http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/xenvz-1-30-128mb-xen-vps-in-uk/
    Its the best

For munin, you can even do 128MB or even 96MB but you need more disk (say at least 3-5GB depending on how many nodes you want to monitor) because with time, the logs and data will grow and would need more space to fill in

I am monitoring 7+nodes with munin using just 128MB ram and 5GB disk, works fine

• @birdie25 said: I want to monitor my VPS's and websites which are on shared hosting with Munin. Is this even possible

Indeed, we use Munin for this. So far it's the best and easiest monitoring package I've found.

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited April 2012

I use munin on all my servers. The main munin server currently resides on a 64mb/64mb xen from inceptionhosting, and all the monitired servers (10 i think) are all less than 192mb ovz and xen mixed).

This is my main webserver:

And this is the munin server:

I however don't know if you can monitor shared hosting since you need to install a munin-node module...

Thank you @birdie25 for the markdown help.. I really prefer the dokuwiki syntax over markdown...

• birdie25birdie25 Member
    edited April 2012

You need to use HTML image code,
    http://pastebin.com/A8mqv7Ef

• @Raymii: It's nice to know i'm not the only person who gets those weird stripes in the uptime graphs :)

• @Damian mind to share the graphs? It seems it sometimes has a bit of packet loss, it then gives those stripes yes...

• I want to have my own uptime/availability monitor, but I think munin is a little bit too complicated for my needs. Just to monitor if it's up or not. And e-mail me when it's not up. What can i use, or can i do the same with munin?

• @birdie25 said: Just to monitor if it's up or not

That's not really Munin's forte, munin is better at tracking data over time to develop trends.

Pingdom.com will do this for you. They have a "free" monitoring level, too.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I made a script a while ago, it was a php script with cron

• @Damian said: Pingdom.com will do this for you. They have a "free" monitoring level, too.

For experience I want to run it in my own environment, and I want to monitor several servers and sites, so Pingdom isn't going to cut it.

• @DotVPS said: Uptimerobot? Does HTTP checks and ping.

Yep. Just use this... I think they give you 50 checks and it's free.

• But, is there anything I can run myself?

http://code.google.com/p/vps-email-status/
    old code, if you want the new one, PM me. fully customizable to check ports, too.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • KuroKuro Member

@birdie25 Check out Nagios

PM sent.

• I have been fiddling with Nagios for a while now, and I was wondering if there is a way to display the current servers with their ONLINE or OFFLINE status. Just parsing the CGI.
    It that possible?

• You can also use openstatus, from @nickm