Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does LE* Expect out of a less than 7$ VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does LE* Expect out of a less than 7$ VPS

2»

Comments

• One thing for sure is in most cases i submit a few tickets during the sign up and getting started process then i wont submit a ticket for a few months. so i guess i want the tickets to be fast. I want to onboard fast and you wont want me to ask for a refund so that makes sense. and i am good about selecting the prioty of the ticket so unless the machine is down i am not going to send you a high prioty and in that case i want a fast response anything else its more about common sense.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

vRozenSch00n said: I don't expect much help from support if the provider deliver what they offered, but when there is any incident beyond my power, I expect them to have sufficient technical skills and response in a timely manner.

To me personally, a good relation with my provider is important. I don't expect much support from a one man show operation as long as he/she has the sufficient knowledge to administer servers and knows what to do and explain the situation properly when an incident occur .

However, I would be pissed off when a big company with a handful of 24/7 support staff replies in a one line 3 stage standard reply:

"We will investigate the issue we encounter"

"We have found out the issue and escalate it to a higher level tech"

"We have send tech to resolve the problem"

and after 5 days the ticket has ben closed but the problem is still there.

Seconding this as well.

• Xei said: Though I will say there are certainly those on LE* who make it seem like they expect near instant response times...

And also expect everything for free.

Thanked by 1kaniini
  • Well, maybe I should add this :

Average Ticket Response Time: [30 Minutes] 
    Average Ticket Resolution Time: [Within 24 Hours]
    Host Node uptime: [99.99%]
    Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (HDD + RAID): [500MB/sec]
    Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (SSD +/- RAID): [2GB/sec]
    Minimum Network Speed (on a 100Mbps NIC): [100Mb/sec]
    Minimum Network Speed (on a 1000Mbps NIC): [900Mb/sec]
    RAM expected at $7 price point: (note: actual dedicated RAM, not OpenVZ/oversold) [1024MB]
    HDD expected at $7 price point: (again, actual dedicated HDD, not oversold) [120G]
    SSD expected at $7 price point: (again, actual dedicated SSD, not oversold) [40G]

Maybe most of this were comes from Prometeus. And don't forget the support, they're friendly persons :)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited February 2014

I can't give a specific answer as to what I expect for a price. I basically break hosts down into two or three tiers. First there are hosts suitable for production use where I expect good, consistent performance, minimal downtime, and <1h ticket responses to any critical issues (hosts in this tier are reliable enough that I usually never have to make a support ticket anyway). Not going to list out detailed resource expectations for the different tiers, but for RAM I expect between 512 and 750mb of RAM at $4 to 7 per month, minimum I/O (HDD) at 100MB/s and minimum I/O (SSD) at 200MB/s (although preferably at least 300MB/s).

Then there are hosts that are not very reliable but are very cheap and may be worthwhile for development or otherwise something that you don't have to count on being available on all the time or need quick responses to even critical issues. For tickets I only expect responses during normal business hours and the initial response to come within about 24 hours. RAM expected at $7/month is 2GB, minimum I/O most of the time about the same as above, but will dip down at times.

Can be broken down further into a third tier where uptime is very good and ticket response time is closer to the first tier, but the performance is worse (either in general or not consistent due to overloading/abusers). This tier can be used for less critical production and purposes which do not absolutely require consistent, strong performance. Won't get 2GB of RAM for $7 here.. probably 1GB for $5-6. Maybe $7 at 1GB RAM, SSD. and not OpenVZ.

The problem with this is you don't really know which tier a host is in until you've tried them out or have read enough reviews. I definitely make assumptions based on price for promised resources, but this obviously does not mean that a more expensive host with less resources will be reliable.

• edited February 2014

Average Ticket Response Time:
    30 Minutes when the VPS is down ,
    2-3 days for other non SLA related issues

Average Ticket Resolution Time:
    1-2 Hours when VPS is down,
    2-3 Days for other non SLA related issues

Host Node Uptime:
    99.99%

Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (HDD + RAID):
    100MB/sec

Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (SSD +/- RAID):
    100MB/sec

Minimum Network Speed (on a 100Mbps NIC):
    2 MB/sec

Minimum Network Speed (on a 1000Mbps NIC):
    10MB/sec

RAM expected at $7 price point: (note: actual dedicated RAM, not OpenVZ/oversold)
    512MB

HDD expected at $7 price point: (again, actual dedicated HDD, not oversold)
    15G

SSD expected at $7 price point: (again, actual dedicated SSD, not oversold)
    10G

As others have said, I value consistency of performance and reliability of what I ordered more than the total amount of resources.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2014
    • Uptime
    • No unexplainable "node corrupted, reinstall VPS"
    • Preferably no IP migrations
    • Customer support within a couple of days, I only need it when there's an issue out of my control with the server. Reasonable people.
    • No long dialogues in email about how they're building their VPS empire and bought new hardware and trucked their old hardware 40,000 miles :o)
    • Megabit or two of BW, reasonable IO, A few hundred MHz of CPU.

I expect that the price I pay (and the price they set) covers these very fair requirements. I go for VPS' that cost around <$50 year. I use a fraction of the allotted resources for the most part, hence my simple requirements.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2014

Average Ticket Response Time: 6-8 Hours

Average Ticket Resolution Time: Within 24 Hours

Host Node Uptime: 99%

Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (HDD + RAID): 10 MB/sec

Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (SSD +/- RAID): 100 MB/sec

Minimum Network Speed (on a 100Mbps NIC): 4 MB/sec

Minimum Network Speed (on a 1000Mbps NIC): 10 MB/s

RAM expected at $7 price point: 1024 MB

HDD expected at $7 price point: 50 GB

SSD expected at $7 price point: 30 GB

• Average Ticket Response Time: 1-2 for critical issues, within 24 for non-critical

Average Ticket Resolution Time: 2-3 Days (for non-critical issues), within 24 hours for critical
    Host Node Uptime: 99.9%

Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (HDD + RAID): 100MB/sec

Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (SSD +/- RAID): 200MB/sec

Minimum Network Speed (on a 100Mbps NIC): 2 MB/sec

Minimum Network Speed (on a 1000Mbps NIC): 20MB/sec

RAM expected at $7 price point: (note: actual dedicated RAM, not OpenVZ/oversold)
    1024MB

HDD expected at $7 price point: (again, actual dedicated HDD, not oversold): 50G

SSD expected at $7 price point: (again, actual dedicated SSD, not oversold): 20G

I also agree with others that noted a friendly, informative response to reasonable support requests beats a terse, information-less response, plus RCAs with specific actions you're taking to learn/improve (rather than high level hand waving ;p).

• No unannounced migrations. If I wanted another location I would have bought there.

• HardCloud said: The saying stands strong, "You get what you pay for."

This is not a univeral truth. Prometeus, RamNode, Hostigation, etc., make for strong arguments otherwise.

• for 7$?

nothing really, 256-512mb ram, as long as it doesnt have an uptime < 99.98% I won't care

thats all I care for, dont expect amazing support i just dont care about it, as long as there arent issues from the provider side

my probs are just mine alone

• @Dylan said:
    This is not a univeral truth. Prometeus, RamNode, Hostigation, etc., make for strong arguments otherwise.

I'd say it's true with them as well. Their prices are at the higher end of this site's criteria; far exeeding it on many plans. I have many customers come to me and purchase the $2 plan and then ask why they can't run Windows / demand immediate ticket support / resolution / 10.0Gbps dedicated networking to their VPS / etc.

Just stupidly impossible demands for the price point.

• People want to get reliable virtual servers at really cheap prices. It's quite hard to provide.. :) For an example i think $2 is for web hosting not vps hosting ^^

• I look for general reliability. With that I mean the downtime is minimal. I know shit can and does happen. When that it does happen tell me what is going on and keep me informed of progress. I do not mean post twithead (twitter) updates either. Take the time to send an email. Makes me feel more like a valued customer and not like a piece of meat.

I rarely open tickets, but when I do I am courteous. I expect the same in return. I do not care if it has been hour and or twenty four, but be courteous and not an ass. It goes a long way to smoothing things over and makes you look like you care.

I normally do not need the fastest server around, disk wise but I do not want it crawling either. Keep the thing in the normal range and we are on a good footing. The network is more of problem usually then the disk.

Connectivity to the world is a good thing and having good speeds helps a lot. I keep better track of the network then the disk unless the site becomes really unstable then we have problems.

I know I did not answer your questions in the format you wanted, but asked what I looked for and these are the things. Yes those others factor in but they tend to change from server to server, at least they do for me anyways.

• I want to encourage everyone to really calculate what <99.9% uptime means in hours per month and whether you really can be OK with that. I don't think anyone would really be OK with a minimum of nearly 4 hours of unplanned downtime each month. That's an hour of downtime each week.

• said: Average Ticket Response Time:

[less than 10 Minutes] [30 Minutes] [1-2 Hours] [Within 24 Hours] [2-3 Days]

24 hours

[30 Minutes] [1-2 Hours] [Within 24 Hours] [2-3 Days] [7 Days]

2-3 days

Host Node Uptime:

[95%] [99%] [99.5% [99.9%] [99.95%] [99.99%] [99.999%] [100%]

99.9%

[1 MB/sec] [10 MB/sec] [100MB/sec] [200MB/sec] [400MB/sec]

100MB/sec

[10 MB/sec] [100MB/sec] [200MB/sec] [400MB/sec] [800MB/sec]

no idea

[1 MB/sec] [2 MB/sec] [4MB/sec] [8MB/sec]

8MB/sec

[5 MB/sec] [10MB/sec] [20MB/sec] [40MB/sec] [80MB/sec]

80MB/sec

[256MB] [384MB] [512MB] [768MB] [1024MB] [1536MB] [2048MB]

512MB

[5G] [10G] [15G] [20G] [30G] [40G] [50G] [100G] [.... more]

30GB

[5G] [10G] [15G] [20G] [30G] [40G] [50G] [100G] [.... more]

no idea

• Yeah... I don't get how people seem to expect their port speeds dedicated...

• toshosttoshost Member, Host Rep

Average Ticket Response Time:
    (managed)[1-2 Hours] or (fully unmanaged) [Within 24 Hours]

(managed)[1-2 Hours] or (fully unmanaged) [Within 24 Hours]

Managed can take highest 24h and unmanaged can take 2 or 3 day but if downtime issue then it's take higest 1-2 hours

Host Node Uptime:
    [99.99%]

[512MB] Upto 1 GB Fine

[15G] If over dedicated with Raid1 then it's upto 50 GB will be fine.

[5G] if anyone provide more then 50 GB with this budget i just want to say they r scammer

• Added a couple of personal answers from my point of view:

Average Ticket Response Time (business hours to the host):
    less than 30 Minutes

Average Ticket Response Time (non business hours to the host):
    Within 4 Hours

Average Ticket Resolution Time (small issues):
    1-2 Hours

Average Ticket Resolution Time (big issues, server rebuild or move):
    Within 24 Hours

Host Node Uptime:
    99%

100MB/sec

200MB/sec

4MB/sec

80MB/sec

1024MB

60G or more

30G or more

• When I'm using my VPS for something other than just sitting idle, I expect it to be there when I need it. If my VPS goes down, I don't make a huge deal about it. I really don't care if a company has a 99% SLA or a 99.99% SLA. I'm a really easy person to please. If you care so much about SLA, go buy a dedicated server. That has always been my philosophy.

But otherwise, I don't really mind what the specs of a VPS are, as long as the company is reputable and what they're offering fits my needs. If not, I will find another host.

• @rajprakash said:
    I want to encourage everyone to really calculate what <99.9% uptime means in hours per month and whether you really can be OK with that. I don't think anyone would really be OK with a minimum of nearly 4 hours of unplanned downtime each month. That's an hour of downtime each week.

0.10% downtime is actually "only" 43 minutes, which is an acceptable level for $7 servers. If I need more uptime then the project/website/stuffs should be important enough to allow me go with higher budget, then find something like cloud servers.

• I expect the best I can get for $7 that you can offer too.

• Average Ticket Response Time:
    [Within 24 Hours]//Basically I haven't meet anything very urgent...

[Within 24 Hours] //Most of the problems are quite easy: just ban the guy who abuse server...

Host Node Uptime:
    [99.9%] //I have a 100%.

[100MB/sec] //This would allow some oversell.

[200MB/sec] //Haven't try any...

[8MB/sec]//I am serious about this.

[80MB/sec]

[512MB]

[40G]

[20G]

• I again need to ask, how do people expect to get 80 Megabytes per second on a GigE VPS when the host machine generally only has 1-4 GigE ports and hosts between 10 and 100 vServers (the upper half being OpenVZ only of course.... I hope.)

It's not like us providers in the $7 market can afford 3,000 TB bandwidth and Dual 10GigE ports for our customers, it's just not feasible.

• @DalComp Good catch. I missed a decimal place and some zeroes :)

• HardCloud said: I again need to ask, how do people expect to get 80 Megabytes per second on a GigE VPS when the host machine generally only has 1-4 GigE ports and hosts between 10 and 100 vServers (the upper half being OpenVZ only of course.... I hope.)

It's not like us providers in the $7 market can afford 3,000 TB bandwidth and Dual 10GigE ports for our customers, it's just not feasible.

I generally do not expect this, but then again I am realistic and know what is what. Just because the server has a Gig port does not mean it all belongs to me, or that I can use all of it. As long as the the network gets the job done and in a half way speedy matter I am happy.