Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another "What Can a 128mb VPS Do?" Thread...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another "What Can a 128mb VPS Do?" Thread...

ElectroPulseElectroPulse Member
edited February 2014 in General

Hello, all!

Alright, I've been reading some "what can a 128mb VPS do" threads, but figured I'd ask, as none of the ones I've seen specifically answer my question...

I'm currently renting a VPS just to mess around with (so will periodically reinstall it if I want to try something new), and would like to have another one from a tried-and-true reliable host to run some things that I don't want to have to reinstall constantly (simply due to the other VPS being a "to mess around with" one).

So, I am looking at maybe Ramnode. All the reviews I've seen have been great, and their prices are good (especially with a 42% off coupon... Unfortunately, there's only a 25% off right now).

Anyway, here is what I'm thinking at this point: Apache to run a small personal webpage (mostly notes for my own reference probably) (maybe multiple, if friends/family members are interested too), an email client, VPN, maybe a personal email server, and perhaps file sharing if I come up with anything worth sharing. If possible, perhaps a VNC server as well to have a connect-to-from-anywhere PC.

Would a 128mb VPS be capable of all this? Or would I need to go with something beefier?

Now on an unrelated note (at least to the main question), I've read people mentioning that they were running email clients on their VPSs... I assume this is a web-based email client?

Thanks!
ElectroPulse

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

For the digestive: Seedbox/TOR (burn traffic, not wasting)

• ElectroPulseElectroPulse Member
    edited February 2014

@Infinity580 said:

Hmm... Interesting idea, I hadn't thought of that. Add a (legal torrent only) seedbox to the list of desired uses :)

• get some experience on a bigger box, pay monthly first. adjust later. i suggest starting with 512mb first.

its not practical to try hard fitting so much to small RAM. its cheap to upgrade to next level. unless you do it for learning purposes, its ok.

• said: (especially with a 42% off coupon... Unfortunately, there's only a 25% off right now)

WOWNUM1 still works for 38% off!

leb35 35%

• @Infinity580 said:

Burning is a synonym for wasting in this context.

Apart from that, you'd be surprised how much you can do with 128MB. Just not so much with GUIs though. Yes, some software will needs some tweaking, but back in the day everything ran fine on 128MB, now it does even better with more efficient memory usage.

@MitchellRobert wasting would be: * * * * * wget http://1TB.zip

Burning you do it for a good purpose, Seedbox helps user to download for example.

• You're going to want to not use any default distributions, if you want to have any memory for your applications. CentOS 6.5 x86_64 Minimal installed off the ISO media available at mirrors.centos.org for example, takes roughly 60MB just for the base system and services.

With kickstart / autostart / turnkey access, you can easily spin up your own distribution; or boot off (on your own computer) a LiveCD of something like ArchLinux or Gentoo, Semplice (Debian 'sid' spinoff) or CentOS even; and start ripping out all the fat. Then compile it to an installation media, and hand that to your host to make available for you.

Most KVM providers (the non-scummy ones at least) should be willing to take a small ISO (x-300MB) and make it available to you for reinstalls, maybe not on a monthly; but on a quarterly or more, at no extra cost to you.

• Use nginx instead of Apache.

• For about a year I used one as a VPN. Other than that a few cronjobs to collect data such as the values of various cryptocurrencies over time.

• @Infinity580 said:

In my experience, 128MB is no good for rTorrent with a fast connection.

• You could run nginx+php-fpm or some kind of proxy or vpn ...
    A dns server is also possible ...

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited February 2014

@hostnoob said:

i think that torrent programs use alot of swap memory in linux? idk what the difference is really.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If the venerable LEAdmin could host 18 static sites on a 64MB VPS, you should be able to host 36 on a 128:

http://lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

Actually, in that article he sets up Wordpress/MySQL as well on the same 64MB box...

• @Mark_R said:

All I know is, if I have a 128MB (sometimes even more) box with no burst/swap running rTorrent, I have to limit the download/upload speeds because if not rTorrent will crash with a memory error.

• You could host some game servers on it. I'm currently able to host a San Andreas Multiplayer on mine.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited February 2014

@hostnoob said:

What makes you say that? I'm not an rTorrent fan, I typically use Deluge, however I've had no trouble pushing 200Mb/s with either client.

• ElectroPulseElectroPulse Member
    edited February 2014

Thanks for all the replies!

Since the 38% off coupon was available (thanks, Dylan!), I went ahead and got the 256mb one.

I'm going to look into making my own ISO... That could be a good learning experience. I've tried in the past, but had neither the reason nor the willpower to make myself finish it (now that I have a reason, willpower should follow). @HardCloud: You mentioned that KVM hosts should add customized ISOs... What about OpenVZ? I got the 256mb OpenVZ ssd-cached one from Ramnode.

So, sounds like 128mb would be squeezing it, so 256mb should be good enough?

• @ElectroPulse said:
    ... So, sounds like 128mb would be squeezing it, so 256mb should be good enough?

I'm a 128MB master, 99% of my VPSes are 128 but it would be beyond a "squeeze", 256 would be bare minimum, if you're wanting to use VNC or NX, I would say 512, even that might be low depending on your desktop setup.