Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

questionable weloveservers Technician Support quality
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

questionable weloveservers Technician Support quality

namhuynamhuy Member
edited February 2014 in General

WeLoveServers.net Technician seems like having a hard time understand me? Only Christopher Boswell knew what's going on.

Comments

• OxideOxide Member
    edited February 2014

Unfortunately there is not much we can do regarding your network routing issues other than report the issue to our upstream for further investigation or migrate you to another datacenter. If you would like a full refund I can send you one.

Chris

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited February 2014

Christopher Boswell is well aware about the routing issues, what I'm trying to say is I'm not happy how Ulrich Ackermann and Liam Lizotte respond to the ticket. Please look at the second and seven responds. Ulrich Ackermann was trying to show me my vps can download bench.sh file, and Liam Lizotte somewhat better understanding and trying to troubleshoot the problem with me. I know that there is no network issue with the VPS, it's just it's not right with the network speed.

I'm about moving my website to your vps, so I just want to make sure everything is working right before the move.

• @namhuy said:
    Christopher Boswell is well aware about the routing issues, what I'm trying to say is I'm not happy how Ulrich Ackermann and Liam Lizotte respond to the ticket. Please look at the second and seven responds. Ulrich Ackermann was trying to show me my vps can download bench.sh file, and Liam Lizotte somewhat better understanding and trying to troubleshoot the problem with me. I know that there is no network issue with the VPS, it's just it's not right with the network speed.

I'm about moving my website to your vps, so I just want to make sure everything is working right before the move.

It looks like they are just trying to help you find the problem.

• I understand, but you were not clear about the issue at first. I would of assumed you had a problem with the FreeVPS script until you mentioned the traceroutes.

Looks to be a simple misunderstanding... I'm sorry for that.

Chris

• Simple misunderstanding I think? Not everyone would know every single script in the internet, would they?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

Eh no offense but your ticket literally stated you couldn't run a wget to download a file because you got stuck in Atlanta. Even using the bench.sh script as often as I do, I would have given the same response. What you meant to say is you can't wget a test file from Atlanta very quickly. Always remember to make as few assumptions as possible when opening a ticket to reduce the time to the resolution.

• I hate to jump in on this one, and I don't like being a squeaky wheel, but.... I also have a similar concern regarding support quality, but not with a script.

I understand that this is an unmanaged VPS, however there are some basic things that even an unmanaged VPS should have support for. Maybe I'm paranoid, maybe I'm chicken....

I noticed that when I shut down my server intentionally, since I haven't finished my security hardening steps, the next day I notice it was booted back up...

Here's the weird part about it. When it "boots itself up on its own," Solus shows only 16-24MB RAM used. I can't get SSH or any of the server services, but I can Serial Console in.

I asked if the self-boot thing was normal, but the response from Ulrich Ackermann was "the node was fine," asking me when I got "the downtime."

I then explained that I am shutting it down intentionally, until I finish work on it, but it keeps coming back up. Then Ulrich Ackermann responds with, "we had an abuser in the HOST-NODE, and we had removed him - you won't get any issues like that here after, but if you're more comfortable we are happy to migrate your VPS to another node."

My response was that if the above is the real cause of the VPS starting itself back up after I intentionally shut it down, then the answer is good enough for me, so I told them this. The response I got was simply "Thanks for the update" from George Snyder. No confirmation if this was the correct assessment.

IF it starts back up on me, I'll re-escalate the ticket, then comment here. My concern is, if this was truly the verified/verifiable root cause.

More importantly, I am working on slowly migrating from PhoenixVPS for support (billing - not reflecting my payments, disrespectful staff) issues that I mentioned in another post. I joined WeLoveServers, because it rated highly here on LowEndTalk, and had basically no issues being discussed.

• Good Evening,

That doesn't sound right... :( I'll get involved and get everything straightened out for you. Email me at c.boswell [at] weloveservers [dot] net or send a PM with your ticket number.

Sorry about the issues you're having! Based on what you've described... I would be frustrated myself too. Looking forward to your email or PM so I can help. Enjoy your weekend.

Chris

Thanked by 1nz2ocasey
  • Wow, that was a faster response than I would have even expected. Thanks Chris. :)

I appreciate the contact and such. Linux isn't my strong suit, though I've used more Solaris (prior to open sourcing) and BSD at work. I'm also new to OpenVZ stuff. I'll toss you an email if I run into any further troubles with self-booting.

Take care, and have a good night,

• Problems that can't be solved will be escalated to Chris and will get solved eventually.

Thanked by 1nz2ocasey
  • Pebkac.

Not the technician's fault. Looks like good support to me.

• Everything is alright, somehow that node or maybe LA servers have connection problem to Seattle until the day I left. Chris offered me a full refund and I took it. To be honest I would love to stay but I'm not happy with the network quality.

• nz2ocasey said: I notice it was booted back up...

They have clearly partnered with DewlanceVPS and are setting up AutoBoot functionality!

(lol)

• Been using them for almost 6 months by now, and always very happy by the support. There had been few hiccups but nothing major. I like their prompt responses and care to fix your issues

This is my bench.sh output

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v3 @ 3.50GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3500.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1024 MB
    Total amount of swap : 2280 MB
    System uptime :   4:19,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 49.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 18.9MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 23.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.99MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 14.5MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 13.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.81MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 17.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 16.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 59.1MB/s 
    I/O speed :  121 MB/s

Thanked by 1Oxide
  • @ironhide where is your node located?

• namhuy said: where is your node located?

Buffalo, Node29 - BUF

• @namhuy said:
    Everything is alright, somehow that node or maybe LA servers have connection problem to Seattle until the day I left. Chris offered me a full refund and I took it. To be honest I would love to stay but I'm not happy with the network quality.

That's good. You are right, the routing colocrossing uses in LA is weird and the network quality simply isn't that good, but you should probably admit that the support issue you faced was your own fault.

• I want to publicly say again, since there's been a few posts since I last replied... I'm happy with WeLoveServers. They did more than I would have asked them to do.

I don't fault anyone at WeLoveServers for anything that happened. My post reply was more out of paranoia, because I've been burned a couple of times. Chris's response to me showed that they're professional, are great at what they do, and deserve that place in the top provider list.

The auto-start issue was solved by using "init 0" instead of "shutdown now." Chris didn't have to tell me that, but he did, and I'm happy as a lark.

Yeah sure, they only did something very simple.... I am still happy, dammit. :P

I'm pretty sure they will be a good replacement for PhoenixVPS, after a rather bad fiasco with.... stuff that's no secret... resulting in loss of my WP site temporarily, starting tonight.

Goodnight all - I have to prep for a nasty winter/potential ice storm in Alabama (of all places - the least prepared) coming tomorrow. The NWS has requested activation of EMA and Skywarn, so it's going to be a mess for the next few days. I might not have electricity....and might not respond.

Thanked by 1Oxide