Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS Misunderstanding of unmanaged service - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS Misunderstanding of unmanaged service

Comments

• @joepie91 Why so angry? Calm down! This is just a discussion! And I just expressing my opinion that, as I see it, is relevant with what OP said. After all, he didn't even posted evidence of "20 tickets" and the answers that shows that the support stuff couldn't understand what he asked for.

@K2Bytes I totally agree with you. And OP changed his original post deleting "pakistanis" with... "cheap staff members without experience"!!!

• @Jvnadr, he isn't mad, but you seem to not be understanding his posts, thus he is using bold letters in hopes you will actually read it this time.

• @Abdussamad said:
    LOL on another forum myelin asked a local host whether he could mine crypto on their VPS. They said yes :)

but does it have to do with me as you quoted my post?

• To be fair, I think @joepie91 is taking the whole 'not understanding' bit a too much at face value and automatically pinning it on the provider. Who's to say his 'instructions' weren't convoluted way beyond @drserver's example. On a unmanaged server, such task requests are going to be punted with multiple - please confirm this is what you want - replies. 9 times out of 10 even looking at WHT, you see poster rant about that sort of thing. It generally devolves into 'copy all my files, why doesn't my networking work, oh, copy just my wordpress files, oh wait, copy my vhost files too, oh I have this bb license file why doesn't it work now, i want the same ip, please leave my old server up, oh you suck and I'm going to post on forums about this!'

I might have to owe the OP an apology, but I'll play the odds. And I think @jvnadr 's point still stands.

• So experienced ones were no different..

• That's what my cable provider at home wants to teach me, as well :D

• @imperio said:
    So experienced ones were no different..

Curious. wget http or ssh/scp?

• Thanked by 1tchen
  • Mb/s & mbps are 2 different things
    1 Mb/s = 8 mbps

• Wow, that bad? Do you have any current test?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@imperio said:
    Whole ticket..

http://i.imgur.com/CedF9.jpg

Winning!

• K2Bytes said: but does it have to do with me as you quoted my post?

The point was that most Pakistani technical staff don't know what the hell they are doing.

• @imperio said:
    Whole ticket..

Continuous downloads wear out the wires in the network :P

• edited title from "ChicagoVPS support SUCKS!" to "ChicagoVPS Misunderstanding of unmanaged service"

• @jcaleb said:
    edited title from "ChicagoVPS support SUCKS!" to "ChicagoVPS Misunderstanding of unmanaged service"

Way to go. I think there is a BuyVM thread that needs the same treatment.

• Virtovo said: Way to go. I think there is a BuyVM thread that needs the same treatment.

I think there is a BuyVM thread that already got the same treatment

• @imperio said:
    Whole ticket..

Mbps and MBps are whole different thing. Speed is measured in terms of bits and storage in terms of bytes. You are in fact getting what you paid for, 12MB/s.

• @vedran said:
    I think there is a BuyVM thread that already got the same treatment

Indeed there is. It's good to see!

• @imperio said:
    So experienced ones were no different..

I think what he was trying to say is if you consider the pipe to be symmetrical (i.e., half upload and half download), you get 50mbit/s for download which is around 5 -6 MB/s.

Of course for the most part the traffic should be asymmetrical even for servers.

• @m0dg0d said:
    I purchased a 2nd vps with them and asked to copy all files from my first vps to the new one.
    After about 20 Support tickets they still not understand what i mean.

Cheap staff members (whitout experience)

EDIT: How can i tell this to them so they understand?

You opened 20 support tickets to get them to try to copy files from your VPS to a new one ? Cloning a VM isn't labor intensive, but it is however considered a managed service. I'm sure they will refuse to help you after 20 support tickets simply because the overall cost of answering those tickets outweighed the price you paid for the service.

For a povider to copy files for a VM when you pay for an unmanaged service would be an act of kindness or an attempt to retain a customer, not to be confused with a requirement.

If you pay for unmanaged it basically covers a ping response and host node and hardware , nothing more. The cost of IT labor is not cheap.

• Just FYI Shinkle no longer works for CVPS, and was fired/left after the first CVPS hack.

Mun

• Mun said: Just FYI Shinkle no longer works for CVPS, and was fired/left after the first CVPS hack.

Moved to Urpad?

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    Moved to Urpad?

I don't know that, just know I really hated the guy for his support ticket answers, as you can see from here: http://www.lowendhelp.com/chicagovps-last-chance-email/

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Ah, > @GaNi said:

Mbps and MBps are whole different thing. Speed is measured in terms of bits and storage in terms of bytes. You are in fact getting what you paid for, 12MB/s.

The ticket chain might be a mess and no doubt could be made clearer for people reading fast, but he's only getting 1MB/s egress on his CVPS node. Topping out 3.27MB/s inbound. Note: WGET displays in (kibi) bytes per second.

I can't fathom why Shinkle would say 5MB/s equates to 100mbps on these specific types of speed tests. Shinkle's responses were inept, both times he replied.

• Mun said: I don't know that, just know I really hated the guy for his support ticket answers, as you can see from here: http://www.lowendhelp.com/chicagovps-last-chance-email/

To be fair, the forum post that guy linked to is pretty retarded, he was asking CVPS why the password was not hashed and b**tched to them about it even though it was just a standard SolusVM configuration that has nothing to do with CVPS (although I agree it was one line code change to make things easier on both ends).

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@jvnadr said:
    In an unmanaged service they do not have any obligation to move files for you in your second vps. It is so easy to do it yourself (e.g. rsync). If you can't, maybe you should think again to move yourself to a shared hosting or rent a managed vps. I had from time to time several issues with CVPS, but don't blame the providers for something they really don't have to deal with but is client's problem.

They should at least be able to tell the client that such a service is not offered given that it's an unmanaged VM.

Opening 20 support tickets on the same issue probably did not help. No one likes getting their ticket queue spammed.

• @imperio - CCNA said that - just OMG! I know CCNA is pitiful but basic Bits/bytes should have been part of it.

• LeeLee Veteran

It's already been clarified that he opened 1 ticket only, might have been 20 replies to that though.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

tchen said: To be fair, I think @joepie91 is taking the whole 'not understanding' bit a too much at face value and automatically pinning it on the provider. Who's to say his 'instructions' weren't convoluted way beyond @drserver's example. On a unmanaged server, such task requests are going to be punted with multiple - please confirm this is what you want - replies. 9 times out of 10 even looking at WHT, you see poster rant about that sort of thing. It generally devolves into 'copy all my files, why doesn't my networking work, oh, copy just my wordpress files, oh wait, copy my vhost files too, oh I have this bb license file why doesn't it work now, i want the same ip, please leave my old server up, oh you suck and I'm going to post on forums about this!'

My post was based on the assumption that what the OP claimed is accurate. It was a hypothetical post. Just like the hypothetical posts of others were based on the assumption that what the OP claimed was not accurate.

Mun said: @Jvnadr, he isn't mad, but you seem to not be understanding his posts, thus he is using bold letters in hopes you will actually read it this time.

Exactly this.

• terafire said: Cloning a VM isn't labor intensive, but it is however considered a managed service. I'm sure they will refuse to help you after 20 support tickets simply because the overall cost of answering those tickets outweighed the price you paid for the service.

This