Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF is wrong with ovh. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WTF is wrong with ovh.

2»

Comments

• @K2Bytes said:
    OVH setup fee is 99.99 Euros while that of SYS is 49.99.

I took the fees from the site directed at German speaking customers:

But maybe those prices include the VAT (that would somehow fit, as the German VAT is at 19%)

• @skagerrak said:
    But maybe those prices include the VAT (that would somehow fit, as the German VAT is at 19%)

Those prices are inclusive of German VAT then

• @K2Bytes said:
    Those prices are inclusive of German VAT then

Yes indeed they are. So the set-up fee is even cheaper if you are a business and buy an enterprise server from the OVH brand.

• @skagerrak said:
    Yes indeed they are. So the set-up fee is even cheaper if you are a business and buy an enterprise server from the OVH brand.

I do not live in EU so I am already exempt from paying VAT even on an individual account :)

• iwaswrongonce said: You're missing the point. Most of their customers are no seedbox users, as you had stated. Even pre setup fee. This was just an easy way to target them without having to resort to a policy change that makes them non-neutral. It's a small but problematic segment. This is their solution. If you commit for a year, they waive it.

Is this setup fee waived later? Because it still seems to be there, for me, regardless of what billing cycle you select:

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited February 2014

@xyz said:
    Is this setup fee waived later? Because it still seems to be there, for me, regardless of what billing cycle you select:

That's Kimsufi. Was referring to their main brand with heftier setup fees.

Still unclear why people are bitching. Vote with your wallet, not your mouth.

• I get the discount on 12 months.

• iwaswrongonce said: That's Kimsufi. Was referring to their main brand with heftier setup fees.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the information!

• They have the setup fee because most of their client were either using the server not long enough or they were switching to a better server too fast. Let say they plan to rent a server for 2 years to break even, what if 18 months later they offer a better server for the same price (which is actually happening all the time at OVH), most people will switch and that make a huge number of server that they need to rent fast or they won't even break even. Currently it isn't worth it for them to continue that way, this is why they went into setup fee, to force you to actually think about it when you switch to a different server.

@Zen said:
    Your server is hacked, we have destroyed the data. Don't ask us how we came about this information, since we try to shy away from our modified kernels - but yeah, your data is gone. Peace out.

I got that once and my friend too. Both time it was true that the server was hacked and both time they only force the server to boot on their recovery OS, which allow you to access your data using FTP. It's not the easiest way to find the issue, because you need to work with files instead of command (can't do history, you need to show the file .bash_history instead) but it's not a problem.

You only have 2 chances though and I don't know what happen the second time. I think they will only allow you to use it in recovery and then to reinstall it completely. I don't know if it's actually what happens but it's what I guess. Also I do believe that you should NEVER trust a compromised server, you can't know what happened with it. You should find the attack vector, and correct that when you reinstall everything.

If you don't like the modified kernel, you can now choose to use the default kernel when you reinstall.