Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does lowendspirit work?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How does lowendspirit work?

hostnoobhostnoob Member
edited February 2014 in Help

I mean since you don't get an IPv4 address. Is it like shared hosting, do you point your domain to their (shared) IP, and then some software points it to your VPS?

Thanked by 1Mark_R

Comments

• That's pretty much the gist of it. I believe they use nginx or varnish for proxying requests to the correct VPS, based on the hostname.

Thanked by 2hostnoob Mark_R
  • You get allocated a unique block of ports on the main server IP.

• If you want to host something on lowendspirit, you might also look into using cloud flare to proxy against your IPv6 address to bypass the NAT.

http://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?id=441

• darkshiredarkshire Member
    edited February 2014

@NickM said:
    That's pretty much the gist of it. I believe they use nginx or varnish for proxying requests to the correct VPS, based on the hostname.

**edit

• Thanks guys. I actually have no use for another VPS at the moment... but I will probably buy 1 or 2 tomorrow anyway :)

• if u got no use, can u try setting up an asterisk voip installation and test if it works. I'd be interested in the results.

• @hostnoob said:
    I actually have no use for another VPS at the moment... but I will probably buy 1 or 2 tomorrow anyway :)

So it begins.... welcome to lowend vps addiction.

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You can compare the network setup @ lowendspirit with your home network.
    A bunch of machines using the same external ipv4 ( you do get your own dedicated ipv6 ) with 20 ports (over ipv4) forwarded to your server.

HAProxy is used to forward web requests to your server (no SSL available at this moment)

@asterisk14 if you can run it at home and you don't need specific ports I can't see why not.