Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Basement Hosting - how many doing it? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Basement Hosting - how many doing it?

2»

Comments

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Someone have a server in Hell too? :p

Yeah, when hell freezes over.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited February 2014

@DalComp said:
    Yeah, when hell freezes over.

Seemingly it can sometimes, however not currently
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/no/hell/254297/weather-forecast/254297

Hell isn't so bad, though not sure how good the net would be.

• I setup a half rack in my buddy's basement. He's in a lucky area where I flip the bill for the ISP/internet. It's $130/month for 1gbit up/down.

• Setsura said: Hell isn't so bad, though not sure how good the net would be.

Holy cow! Hell is actually exist! :P

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited February 2014

@doughnet said:
    I setup a half rack in my buddy's basement. He's in a lucky area where I flip the bill for the ISP/internet. It's $130/month for 1gbit up/down.

Flip the bill?

• doughnetdoughnet Member
    edited February 2014

@bdtech said:
    Flip the bill?

pay the bill

• @doughnet said:
    pay the bill

Seems really cheap? Fios? Google Fiber?

• @bdtech said:
    Seems really cheap? Fios? Google Fiber?

local ISP, wish they offered the same for me, but only like 3 or 4 cities locally they do.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited February 2014

@vRozenSch00n said:
    Holy cow! Hell is actually exist! :P

Yep, and it is in Norway. Who would have thought?

• Setsura said: Yep, and it is in Norway. Who would have thought?

There is one in Michigan as well. It is definitely frozen over also.

• netomx said: they feel that if the service is on the same city, it will be better

not just that, some customers need their info/data must be inside country for privacy issues

• @dedicados said:

Legal issues, as well, for certain fields. Sometimes, you just feel more secure knowing that you have your servers also physically secured and locked down and you can check on them any time you want.

• basement hosting should be expensive because you cant share cost

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Nope, I did it for my former job and it was okayish except when power was out. UPS held for a while, but on day the whole transformation unit burned down with firefighters coming, it was not pretty, god knows what happened that night, 2 out of 3 UPSes were dead and the remaining one was dry, everything was off for one day because it took a long time to fix it, they had to bring a few tons of equipment.
    Sadly, in Romania power is much less reliable than Internet, not many private providers in the cities for power, while for internet you can have tens in Bucharest.
    That being said, I host also at home a lot of VPSes for myself and will expand it as soon as the drives I was expecting for 2 months will arrive. I have one room I am not heating, so, for the winter, it is "cool", but int he summer will probably have to move the servers in the rest of the house because cannot start AC there just for those servers.